Page 1 of 2
Okay guys, I know few bassists have any respect for Mark Hoppus because all he does really is play root notes, but the crowd loves Blink 182 so I play his stuff.

On my Line 6 LowDown LD150 (yes, I know, crap amp etc..), I've been messing around for a while trying to get something moderately Blink-ish when I came across a revelation.

(I am using a cheap P-Bass copy here btw)

1: BRIT mode
2: Turn Bass, Low Mids, High Mids and Treble ALL THE WAY UP (seriously..)
3: No FX/Compressor etc
4: Tone knob on P-Bass full on (I don't know the tech terms)

To my ears, this sounds pretty close to his sound, if anyone else has this amp, and something with a single split-coil pickup, please try it out, and let me know if it sounds similar or if I am failing here.

Thanks people
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
I have the Ld175, it sucks just as much as the 150, and it sounds almost right.
But I'm really not digging it for some reason. maybe it's too trebley?
I don't know...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Close to his tone? And you're proud?

I dun like it.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
So the Mark Hoppus tone is just the sound of a cheap bass amp with all the knobs turned up? I would have never guessed...
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
Quote by redwolf206
So the Mark Hoppus tone is just the sound of a cheap bass amp with all the knobs turned up? I would have never guessed...

Ah, but the crowd doesn't know that
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
I actually like Mark's Sig bass *flame shield on*
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast

Same *Hides behind TooFast's shield*
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Quote by Captain Insano
Mark Hoppus tone, not exactly rocket science.

indeed.
i dont believe his tone to be difficult to attain. Furthermore i dont really believe he deserved a sig bass to begin with..
Quote by TooFast

second/thrid'd

even if you hate him having one you have to atleast credit him for not just putting out another p-bass with an artist name and nothing else.
Quote by redwolf206

lol! mind if I sig that?
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
You may be close but cheap equipment will get you no closer, if you had better equipment you could nail it. You could probably get close to a Jaco tone with a home-made fretless or close to a Jamerson tone with some old strings but you'll never get it spot on without spending the extra cash.

Those of you bashing Hoppus, why doesn't he deserve a sig bass? He was a bass player in a popular band, he may not be the best player in the world (and he knows that, he takes the piss out of his playing quite a bit) but it brings in money for Fender and to be honest it's a pretty cool bass.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I do give him props for coming up with a unique Fender bass for his signature. Definately not the Roscoe Beck, but hey, it's something.

On the subject of the Roscoe Beck, I saw KJ-52's bassist playing a Roscoe Beck 5'er through a GK this past summer. OH GOD, that GROWL.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
are you playing with a pick? It should be waaay to treble-y if you are.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
haha lay off mark hoppus, i saw him on that mtv show where they get kids to achieve their dreams and one girl wanted to play bass, and she (OMGOMGOMG) got to meet him in a guitar center, where he ended up giving her a signed bass. at the end he was like 'she's been playing for about five weeks, so at this point she's probably a better bassist than me..'
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Who care's if he deserved it or not? He got famous, you didn't. His music is fun, it made alot of people happy. Just live with it.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
Who care's if he deserved it or not? He got famous, you didn't. His music is fun, it made alot of people happy. Just live with it.

whoa whoa man.... take it easy.
i understand he "got famous".... i have no qualms with his fame. his tone isnt some amazing hard-to-get tone... he isnt of amazing skill in my opinion either.

i am living with it. lol.
zomg im going to killz mahself cuz mark h0ppus haz a sig...

i just dont understand the purpose of a sig bass (besides more money for the manufacturer) . sure, many bassists have really cool tones, but buying their tone and their sound is sort of disingenuous. i dont see the point. unless you're in a cover band or something..
Quote by Flaming Bass

1: BRIT mode
2: Turn Bass, Low Mids, High Mids and Treble ALL THE WAY UP (seriously..)
3: No FX/Compressor etc
4: Tone knob on P-Bass full on (I don't know the tech terms)

Surely it would make more sense to flatten the EQ and turn up the drive?
Quote by Spaz91
I would buy his signature bass if it had a tone knob.

I think ur thinking of the pete wentz bass haha! I would never buy that, it's such a piece of crap.
You'll get closer to his sound by turning everything up on the bass, setting everything pretty much flat on the amp, except for the high mids, which should be boosted.

Then again, you aren't going to get any closer than that, since you really need something along the lines of a sansamp driver.
Dude just make your own sound. Your tone is one thing that will set you apart from the other bassists. Have fun man, make a tone that you think fits you and your style, now if it is a mark hoppus/blink 182 style then yeah you'll want something similar, but just make your own.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I don't get where the Mark bashing comes from. He had a few songs with cool basslines like Man Overboard and Carousel.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
I don't get where the Mark bashing comes from. He had a few songs with cool basslines like Man Overboard and Carousel.

I think it's because he was in Blink which is considered a pop-punk band. I like Blink though.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by ccmetz2020
I think ur thinking of the pete wentz bass haha! I would never buy that, it's such a piece of crap.

The Mark Hoppus only has one knob and it's volume.
Check it.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Mark-Hoppus-Signature-Bass-Guitar?sku=510843
Quote by watchingmefall

imagine a better pete wentz bass.

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
it's super unneffective!

sigged.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
it's super unneffective!
Quote by even deeper
whoa whoa man.... take it easy.
i understand he "got famous".... i have no qualms with his fame. his tone isnt some amazing hard-to-get tone... he isnt of amazing skill in my opinion either.

i am living with it. lol.
zomg im going to killz mahself cuz mark h0ppus haz a sig...

i just dont understand the purpose of a sig bass (besides more money for the manufacturer) . sure, many bassists have really cool tones, but buying their tone and their sound is sort of disingenuous. i dont see the point. unless you're in a cover band or something..

people that idolize him or he's the reason somebody started playing, people are going to wanna have something that he designed himself. I know a band that's almost on a major label around my area and the bassist still plays his mark hoppus bass. They don't play pop punk anymore, but Mark was this kids idol forever. It's good marketing and it's good inspiration.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
I do like Mark, he's a great artist. Blink is probably my favorite band. But he really didn't push the boundries of bass playing, and hes tone isn't really anything new anyways.

P-bass with a pick ----> Ampeg SVT ----> Ampeg 8x10

And I do like his sig. It may be a bit pricey, but it's not a piece of crap. People bash the no tone knob, but it does have a string-through body, (It's the only non-MIA fender to have one) and a Quarter Pounder, ( which is a pretty popular mod).
Worth it? IDK, maybe.
Quote by the humanity
imagine a better pete wentz bass.

think pokemon
it's super unneffective!

This is one of your greatest feats ever the humanity!
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Surely it would make more sense to flatten the EQ and turn up the drive?

probably i have no idea about the tech side of things, i'm self taught
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
i got his tone exatly

all you need is the seymore duncan quarter pounders and ernie ball hybrid strings and your set

turn bass and treble all the way up with mids with about 3

i use a fender american p bass
with a cravin guitar amp

but u can achieve it with anytype of amp

just over 15 watts

u dont have to have a fender p bass

u can have any type of bass with just to seymore duncan quater pounders and ernie ball hybrids
Quote by slaptasticdave

Haha, my personal favorites, even if Mark isn't the best in the world, I still warm up with those two every time. To those of you who stand by Blink 182 and Mark Hoppus, I salute you
If you have a LowDown, use the Ampeg SVT/Rock mode. Turn the bass and treble almost off, crank the mids almost full.

That's exactly what he does.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Casketcreep
This always cracked me up.

Why's that funny?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Page 1 of 2