While I was doing my celebrating earlier tonight, I was thinking why do we even do it all anyways. Sure, it's a start of another new year, but many of us change our ways because one change of a digit on our calendars tells we should. If it's a celebration of getting through another year in tact, why don't we have similar events? Why not hold first of the month festivities? I don't think the majority of us know why to go to our lengths to get smashed for this occasion; we just do it.
It's an excuse to get plastered.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Jan 1st is really officially known as "hang over day". lol. Soooo why not?
One word: Tradition

None of them make any sense if you look at them logically,our calendar doesn't even make any sense.The new year begins just as winter gets bad where I live,so it never feels like a new year,it never sets in until spring gets here and nature comes back to life.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by boreamor
Because it only comes once a year.

Trudat, as do Christmas and Birthdays, I like to get plastered on both of those occasions.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Quote by boreamor
Because it only comes once a year.

Hm... very true, but correct me if I'm mistaken: Doesn't every calendar day come annually?
Quote by Kiffa
Trudat, as do Christmas and Birthdays, I like to get plastered on both of those occasions.

heeells yeah
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
See I don't buy that, if it's an excuse to get hammered why don't we all agree to do so on the 10th of the month...or make March 27 a day to do the same because that only comes once a year..
Quote by brand0n hanks
Hm... very true, but correct me if I'm mistaken: Doesn't every calendar day come annually?

Well yes, but how many new years are there in a year? There's 364(?) new days every year. Why celebrate them?
Doesn't the majority of the world (specifically american swine) get plastered daily anyway?
Quote by SGstriker

I could give a rant about how it's pointless how we celebrate integer increments of our orbit as measured from an arbitrary point in space and time, but then this man showed me the light.
Quote by boreamor
Well yes, but how many new years are there in a year? There's 364(?) new days every year. Why celebrate them?

That means we have 36(5) new years?
Quote by SGstriker

An excuse to get laid.
there is no quote in this box
Quote by JuicyJuiceBox
While I was doing my celebrating earlier tonight, I was thinking why do we even do it all anyways. Sure, it's a start of another new year, but many of us change our ways because one change of a digit on our calendars tells we should. If it's a celebration of getting through another year in tact, why don't we have similar events? Why not hold first of the month festivities? I don't think the majority of us know why to go to our lengths to get smashed for this occasion; we just do it.

next year it won't, 2009 to 2010

looks like two to me

or!

2999 to 3000, that's 4!
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by brand0n hanks
That means we have 36(5) new years?

Well, no. Unless you're looking it in a circular fashion like "It'll be a year until this day happens!"

New Year is just celebrating the start of a new calender I think.
Quote by boreamor
Well, no. Unless you're looking it in a circular fashion like "It'll be a year until this day happens!"

New Year is just celebrating the start of a new calender I think.

True, but it doesn't seem to make much sense, logically speaking. My point being, New Year's is considered the day marking Spring, rebirth, and all that good stuff, correct? However, the calendar is much, much closer to being: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall. As opposed to Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. Do you follow?
Quote by brand0n hanks
True, but it doesn't seem to make much sense, logically speaking. My point being, New Year's is considered the day marking Spring, rebirth, and all that good stuff, correct? However, the calendar is much, much closer to being: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall. As opposed to Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. Do you follow?

No it's not the start of spring though. The start of Spring is April I believe. Our calender was created by the Romans who divised it by reading the stars. It's not a seasonal thing.

I think.
Well, let's leave it at this: it's a completely unorthodox and unneccisary holiday, and is quickly losing it's importance and impact on worldy youth and their New Year's dreams. Let's start a group for celebrating New Year's on a chosen date OTHER than January first?
Quote by brand0n hanks
Well, let's leave it at this: it's a completely unorthodox and unneccisary holiday, and is quickly losing it's importance and impact on worldy youth and their New Year's dreams. Let's start a group for celebrating New Year's on a chosen date OTHER than January first?

Meh means nothing to me. It never has. Christmas didn't mean anything to me this year. Then again, I'm slowly growing apathetic to everything.
Quote by boreamor
[v]Meh means nothing to me. It never has. Christmas didn't mean anything to me this year. Then again, I'm slowly growing apathetic to everything.

oooohhh tell himorsher that!
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!