Page 1 of 3
WORD LIMIT EXTENDED TO 2000 JUST IN CASE. REMEMBER IT'S JUST THE MOST ALLOWED, YOU COULD WRITE LESS IF YOU WANTEZD

ALSO, REMEMBER THAT WORD COUNT IS DIFFERENT FROM CHARACTER COUNT

*READ NEW STUFF AT BOTTOM*

You may or may not remember that I've taken it upon myself to inspire some creativity within The Pit which has fallen prey to memes. This is not a competition per se. I mean, yes, there will formally be winners; however, I mainly just want UG to get a chance to express themselves in a medium that is typically not utilized. It's a creative writing competition based around a funeral. I don't care how you do it or what it's about. If it's about grieving, suicide, death, etc. Just make the focal point a funeral and run with that. I figure it's better to give you a setting with which you can develop any variety of themes. Less creatively stifling than giving you a theme to go on with any variety of settings. More of a chance for personal style and feelings to come out which is always good.

So anyway, here are the basic rules:

1. No more than 2000 words.
2. Must be based around a funeral in some way.
3. No more than 15 contestants.
4. Three judges will vote on the best three. We could then eliminate it to just one, but I'd rather have the three chosen as the best displayed with no further nitpicking. Competition is necessary for legitimacy, but there is no reason to choose just one story.
5. DEADLINE: JAN 15, 2009

As much as I would love to participate in this, I am actually just going to be realistic and remain a judge. Starting the next semester of school next week and I'll be fairly busy and lazy.

Remember, if you really want to do this, commit to it. If you think you'll be too lazy, busy or too uninterested please refrain from saying you'll enter the contest. You're just taking up the space of someone who does potentially want to do it.

- Dave

Contestants
1. nerk13
2. Twist of fate
3. Pr0gNut
4. LeBunny
5. darkrikku
6 Final !mpact
7. SmarterChild
8. Sonny_sam
9. thedefrockednun
10. doom3rulz
11. thewho65
12. Abhorred One
13. meh!
14. Jett Diamond
15. SoWrongItsMatt
16. Robert_Gray

Judges
1. primusfan
2. GnR_ROK
3. Jackolas

NEW STUFF!]

Ok! All spots filled up.

Let me clarify for everyone who complained about the word limit, It's an actual word limit, not a character limit. I'm literally talking words. To the best of my knowledge: 12 pt, Times New Roman, 1" margins, double spaced -- the limit should be about 6-7 pages. I was going to do 3000 but I can't read that much. Something like 12 pages. Remember there will be 15 of these.

Remember, it can be under or at 1500 words. And yes, it's 1500 words not characters.

Also, IT CAN BE FUNNY OR SAD OR HAPPY OR WHATEVER

It doesn't have to be serious at all. Just base it around a funeral. I for one am a huge fan of black comedy (that Nick Cannon. He's hilarious! ... I jest).

The funeral is the only content rule you have. Any genre, any style. I'll even allow the "poem/story." Like I said, primarily this is more of a chance just to see something intelligent and engaging in The Pit rather than just:

"wut songs shold i playu when i have sex with my gf? im 14. plz help me. im a virgin but im about to lose it and im posting this to make myself look coool."
"i cum blood?"

Also. When submitting entries, please upload them as an RTF to something like SendSpace and then PM the judges the links to them. All three of us posted on the front page so it should be easy to get ahold of us.
#DTWD
I would like to join.
Cause I love feelin' dirty
And I love feelin' cheap
And I love it when you hurt me
So drive those staples deep
I'm tempted, but I feel I won't be as good as some of the other people

I'll leave it a bit and if other people haven't already joined I'll join it
Contestant, por favor.
And I love feelin' cheap
Quote by bulldozerbob
I'm tempted, but I feel I won't be as good as some of the other people

I'll leave it a bit and if other people haven't already joined I'll join it

Same. I'll check back in a few hours, and if it has been filled, then I shall put myself forward

Sanity is not statistical
I feel special as numero uno.

Yay.
And I love feelin' cheap
I'll check back and join up if spots don't get filled.My only issue is the word limitation,but I think I can work around that.

Edit: Sign me up,I just thought of something

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Jan 1, 2009,
i wish to judge or compete,or both, but i will not vote for myself....

is that ok?

if need be, id rather be a contestant, but it seems that you are short on judges

Also: can it be a poem/story, as in it rymes but tells the story?
Last edited by darkrikku at Jan 1, 2009,
I already finished my entry,thanks for inspiring me to actually write something TS,it's been nearly 2 years since I've sat down and let the literary creativity flow in this form.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I can judge this. In fact I'd like to.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
I think we should have fishcream's story from the embarresing moments at the guitar center (or something like that)
I wanna be a judge!
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by ~Moby Dick~
does it have to be serious?

I assume it is to be written seriously (not "ok then i fapped over the corpse at teh wake lolz), but if comedy is your style then I think it will be fine. Nobody has been given a set genre, it's just a story in style, using a funeral as your focal point.

That said, you'd want it to be well thought out, proper humour.
Oh, and if anyone ends it with "and it was all a dream lolz" I will personally come to your house and castrate you with a piece of cheesewire.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Does it have to be a traditional graveyard funeral, or can we be a bit more free with what constitutes a funeral?
Quote by SmarterChild
Does it have to be a traditional graveyard funeral, or can we be a bit more free with what constitutes a funeral?

I would imagine as long as it is about burying a dead person then its probably a funeral
Contestant please. I need to commit to something and I want to get back into creative writing.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Twist of fate
What about cremation? I'd say as long as it has to do with celebrating the life of someone who passed away.

Doesn't have to be celebrating. They might have been a complete bastard.
^^ that gives me an idea for a story.

*opens MS Word*
Last edited by Final !mpact at Jan 1, 2009,
Sign me up as a contestant, please.

And yeah, how strict is the "funeral" theme? Does it have to be a traditional funeral, or could it be more dealing with the death of something?
There hath he lain for ages and will lie,
Battening on huge seaworms in his sleep;
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
I'm in, pal.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I'd really love to do this. I hope I'm not too late signing up. Contestant plzzz?
DOWN&OUT
Page 1 of 3