Hi all,

I'll start from the beginning in 2000, I started to take interest in playing guitar and pretty much jumped into the trap of buying alot of equipment without learning to use it properly..

Epiphone Zakk WYlde
Epiphone Noel Gallagher
Marshall AVT
Zakk Wyde Wylde Wah
Zakk WYlde Overdrive Pedal
the list goes on...

Anyway over the years I sold it all off as I kind of lost track of why I like guitar and pretty much had no idea of theory,scales etc and can only just read tab, so I fell in a rut, now I picked up my fiances acoustic back in Novemeber and when I began to strum a few chords I could tell my baby daughter enjoyed it so I am somewhat rekindled!!!

Now knowing them mistakes I made I am now starting from scratch on an acoustic learning chords, I am a very open minded guy and will listen to alot of varied music, Oasis,GNR,Otis Reading,John Lennon etc... is there any tips you can recommend me? any good songs to learn chord wise or links to scales at all, or any general advice would be appreciated, especially from those who may have been in the same situation as me,
First off, I'd like to welcome you to UG. The MT forum is a very laid back yet very helpful place. You can learn a LOT of stuff just reading threads (as long as you know who to listen to).

Anyways, how much/what do you know so far? You say you're learning chords on an acoustic... like basic open chords? or...?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I was in a vaguely similar situation to you I suppose. If you are inspired now, then just do whatever it takes to not lose that - listen to your favourite songs, see if you can imitate them in some form. Lessons, if possible, are a good way to keep yourself motivated.

I found that without being motivated to play, there was no point in trying to learn.

As for actual concrete stuff, I'll let the wiser MT guys answer that :P
ARGH an 09'er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you could always learn the simpsons theme thats good and easy
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by padgea7x
ARGH an 09'er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you could always learn the simpsons theme thats good and easy
Uh, what the hell is your problem?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Uh, what the hell is your problem?

its just a thing going around in some threads about 09'ers and stuff about them but ah well
nd i have no problem.........................yet
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Last edited by padgea7x at Jan 1, 2009,
I would reccommend reviewing and relearning chords. The equipment you sold was gravitating towards a hard rock or heavy metal style, so obviously, many skills beyond holding the pick will not be so useful if youre playing acoustic, even holding the guitar right. There are a huge number of chords to learn, but on UG, I found a great number of chord lessons here.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=Chord&w=lessons

If there's anything you can't find there, you're local bookstore will probably have a few teach-yourself-guitar books that can get you started off in the right direction.
Woah. You like Zakk Wylde eh?

>:3

Stillborn is nice and easy. The main riff, you don't even need to move your left hand for.

The chorus has a few pretty cool chords as well, that goes like this:

E----------------------------
B--------3-----5-------------
G--------2-----2--------4/5\2
D--4-----0-----0-------------
A--4-----0-----0--------2/3\2
E--2-X-X---X-X--------X------

Also, inb4wahuonlyknowthatsongcauseitsinguitarhero
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
Firstly many thanks for your replys! you certainly made me feel welcome.

Ok experience wise - I can play parts of the following mostly all Rythem.

Welcome to the Jungle
Crazy Train
Out Ta Get Me
Graveyard Disciples
House of Doom
Mr Brownstone
Enter Sandman
Fade to Black
Seek and Destroy
For Whom the Bell Tolls
One
Don't Cry
She's Electric

So those are the ones learnt parts or all a few years back, but seeing as I want to go back to basics I figured starting afresh on the acoustic would be the best idea, to generally practice Chord changes, learn scales etc... fingerpicking also. I figure if I can perfect a song on acoustic and then apply it to electric towards the end of the year it would sound pretty good.
Well first of all Welcome to UG.

When I saw the join date, I suddenly had the feeling of "Wow it's really 2009"

On topic:

If you just wanna learn ur favourite songs (for now). I suggest learning basic major and minor chords and major/minor/dominant 7th chords.

If you go through their Barre shapes, you will develop finger strength and independence, and this will help in learning songs.

It can be frustrating to learn a song and then halfway through u stumble upon a chord which takes a week to get under ur fingers. I've been there, and it's frustrating at times.

FREEPOWER's Signatures has lessons on chords, I'd suggest that.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
One of my major downfalls while learning was the fact that I would start learning a song then I would get completely stuck , then loose interest and move onto another song which was one of my downfalls I guess, Just before Christmas I did learn chords to She's Electric by Oasis, not an overly difficult song but it got me back into the swing of things..
Quote by Prettytiedup
One of my major downfalls while learning was the fact that I would start learning a song then I would get completely stuck , then loose interest and move onto another song which was one of my downfalls I guess, Just before Christmas I did learn chords to She's Electric by Oasis, not an overly difficult song but it got me back into the swing of things..
You have no clue. I had a stack of Metallica songs

T
H
I
S

big (not to mention the other bands). I only knew bits and pieces. I'd get 1/4 of it and see I can't physically do it, or maybe all of it except the solo but I'd rarely learn an entire song. It always helped to learn real easy songs that are fun.

Maybe working on playing chords like all the open chords, barre chords, and then triads would be cool? Or maybe some easy fingerpicked songs?

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥