Ive just written my first song that i wrote using theory :P

Wanted it to be in key of E major,
so i just made a rhytm part with Emaj Amaj Bmaj Emaj chords I IV V I progression,
and used E maj pentatonic to make a lead part over it

is that correct to get the song in E key?

Can i only use E scales to be in key?

I can use any of the scales? ( blues scale, major, minor etc? )
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Did you harmonize the E major scale to come up with those chords ?
Check out this article. Ultimate Guide to Guitar
It guides you through writing chord progressions and then soloing over them
I must stop wasting time in The Pit and practice!
You don't really write songs "using theory"....theory can be used to describe any piece of music ever written.

Rather, you write music and use your knowledge of theory to help you describe it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i know what you mean by "written using theory," lol but that's still a bit funny to read.

anyways, you are basically right. the chords you gave would definitely fit an Emaj progression, and the major pentatonic scale would sound just fine over those chords.

the following are just suggestions; things i know will probably work if you try them out....

one tip i can offer is that lots of chord progressions make use of a seventh chord on the IV or the V to help the progression "move along" so to speak. try a dominant 7th or a major 7th on either of those chords and see how it goes. A dominant 7th chord almost always sounds great on the V. Another good trick would be to use a minor VII chord right before you come back to the Emaj, and that will also give it a sense of completeness.

these rules can be broken, but most music theory books will tell you something similar. long story short: try some 7th chords in there too to spice up the song and make it sound less like a nursery rhyme, lol.

as for scales, you can use other scales than E. you could go to the relative minor and use C#m pentatonic. You could also try out the 7-note equivalents of your scales, just E major and C# minor. Depending on what chords you use, you could probably get into using a different mode of the major scale, but as soon as you do that, you have to monitor all the notes in your chords and make sure there isn't unpleasant tension every time you play the modal notes (meaning notes / intervals unique to the mode you're using).
Last edited by frigginjerk at Jan 1, 2009,