Hey, I've just started a band with a couple of my friends, I think it has potential and I'm quite excited, but can anyone offer me advice as to being in a band in general. How often to practice, how to keep things running smoothly etc..

Thanks
***Short Sig***
Ive been in a band since I got into music, which is like, almost a year, and boy is it rough sometimes.
Basically, you're going to want to practice as much as you possibly can, but don't make all the practices, "lets get to work" stuff, you have to have fun, and make sure the chemistry is solid.
Keeping things smooth is probably the hardest part, as any band is going to have some sort of clashing, number one is to have the music as a common interest obviously, if all parts arn't in it, it won't work.
Everyone has to at least get along with one another, if you take it far enough, these people should be family.
My band spends practically every second of our lives together, and we argue a ton. Members quit and come back every so often and we've gone through 4 singers. When all is said and done, we stick together, in hopes of one common result. [not to get cheezy]
i have been in my band for about 4 years now. we are recording our first EP in our home studio (just to show how serious we are, click below to see the myspace) we practice 1-2 times a week for about 3-4 hours each but it is not all work. we have fun and experement to get good sounds and goof around a lot. these people become your closest friends like brothers so get ready for some arguing. you spend alot of time around each other so make sure you also have some time for yourself to get away from it all. in the end, if you are passionate you can take things far and do great things. hope i helped.

(ps, make sure you stick up for your band if someone talks **** you should be the first one in to defend your brothers)
www.facebook.com/allbutimpossible

Live Arsenal

Guitars
ESP EC1000 FR
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
ESP H1000 Deluxe
Ibanez RG7321

Amp
Line 6 Valve HD 100 Head
Line 6 Spider Valve 412VS 412 Cab

Misc
Shure PGX14 Wireless
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by shockdoctor92
i have been in my band for about 4 years now. we are recording our first EP in our home studio (just to show how serious we are, click below to see the myspace) we practice 1-2 times a week for about 3-4 hours each but it is not all work. we have fun and experement to get good sounds and goof around a lot. these people become your closest friends like brothers so get ready for some arguing. you spend alot of time around each other so make sure you also have some time for yourself to get away from it all. in the end, if you are passionate you can take things far and do great things. hope i helped.

(ps, make sure you stick up for your band if someone talks **** you should be the first one in to defend your brothers)

Hey dude, i like ur band man pritty sweet stuff, sweet guitar/bass, and drums, the only thing i thnk u should work on is the vocals.
Quote by shockdoctor92

You've got some really sweet music, but the vocals kinda kill it. I would work on them.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by xEpidemicx
You've got some really sweet music, but the vocals kinda kill it. I would work on them.

i second this, need serious work, good otherwise
Quote by KoolBeans
i second this, need serious work, good otherwise

+1

My advice would be to watch over your members. Don't restrict them from playing in other bands, but don't let them get stolen either. I recently lost a very talented bassist that way, and it's hell trying to find another.
Haha. You want to know what to do in a band, how to go about it and what its like?
Well, that's a vast subject in itself. But ill have a go at explaining.

Well. First off, you need to agree on what songs to play. Or even what songs to learn. If you roll up to your first practice and just say to the guys 'lets just play' and you all play different things, its gonna be awful. Believe me, i've been there.

If you haven't decided on a style yet, a) do so and b) to get a feel for the skill level of your band, do some jams, either 12 bar blues or just some random stuff and see what you can do. That way, when picking covers you have a rough idea of how difficult you can go.
When you are testing each other's skills, don't make someone play a solo on their own, with the rest of the band watching them but not accompanying. If you do so it is embarassing for the player and also likely to hinder their performance, as they will be concious of you scrutinizing them.

Next port of call would be practicing. Structure your practices in some way so i dunno - 1/2 an hour learning a new song, 5 min break, 1/2 jaming/writing, 5 min break and 1/2 hour going through all the songsyou know so far, etc. If theres anything else you feel you need to do, obviously you add to the roster. Also, don't take my times as a given, although it is proved that when learning you should only spend 1/2 hour max. otherwise you lose concentration.

I'd say practicing at least once a week is sufficient, because you have a break between each practice, but also time to learn anything you need to. If you have large gaps between each practice, you're gonna have real trouble as you'll lose your 'spark' with the others and waste time at practice getting it together.

Be prepared to have to put up with a load of **** from bandmates too. Some will say 'if they're giving you **** then quit' but i've never known anybody get along perfectly in a band. It's annoying, it's frustrating but when you get onstage and you blow everyone away, the **** that you've endured in the practice space will be insignificant and feel like nothing at all.

Although it'll seem like a great idea to be all communist with regards to leadership in the band, with everyone equal, it's not gonna happen. If you work in that way, you're eventually going to pick someone as a leader unconciously. It'll be the person who you always look to for advice, timing, key changes or whatever. In my old band, i ended up being that guy, but the drumer didn't like it as it meant he wasn't gonna get his own way all the time. So, maturely, he left. :rolleye:

Before you go off and write original material, concentrate on getting yourself tight as a band. When you can play off each other (lead and rhythm guitars make an intricate interesting sound and bass and drums are like a powerhouse etc) then go ahead, but it'll take forever if you haven't quite gelled as a band.

DOn't force yourselves to get gigs within weeks of your first practice, you'l know your ready for gigs when you can play the song's you know blindfolded and all together. If you go up when you can all just about play the song all the way through, yeah it'll be raw, but it'll be awful too. Some say raw is good, and when raw refers to the fact you haven't had much gig experience, yeah its awesome.When it refers to the fact you can't make it the whole way through a 3 minute song without screwing up, then no its not good,

If a band member starts ****ing around, don't alow yourself to put up with it for too long. It just ruins your time, believe me i've had it before. It might be difficult to replace them, but replacing them will prove easier than allowing them to continue ****ing around.

Don't be surprised if your band mates become arrogant little rock stars pretty quickly. It happens to everyone, myself included. I thought i was the mutts nuts i really did. But no. Ego's are horrible thing's, the bigger they get the harder it is to continue.

This is all a bit jumbled i know but things keep coming to me haha. Erm, aaah yeah. If someone is not very good at all at their instrument and haven't improved at all since you began, try to encourage them to get better. If they fail at doing so, can them. Don't lull them into the idea that they can sing well or something as eventually someone will tell them that they can't sing and they'll be like 'whatever' and then you'll have to explain. Want an example of this? Listen to the songs 'LSD' and 'White Widow' on my profile. The singing is awful. Because we allowed that very thing to happen.

Well, i've run out of things to say for now, but if i remember anything, i'll add to the thread.

Sorry it's so long, but like i said, asking 'How to do i do band and what is it like' is like asking 'What is the meaning of life?'. It's a really vast subject, but ultimately it's an etirely personal experience.

I'm sure that anyone who has been in a band will agree with me that it's impossible to explain to someone what it's like to be in a band and play live etc etc if they haven't done it. It's so strange, and yet awesome it really is.

I hope i've been of some help and sorry i've rambled on. I know alot of this post is more negative, but i'm drawing on personal experience here.

so yeah, just my 0.02

db
I remembered something else i meant to say.

Don't get suckered into the rose tinted idea of a band being so awesome and easy and so much better than doing a normal job. Yeah, it can be more fun. But it can also be difficult and terrible.

Furthermore, just remember that in most cases, anything that CAN go wrong, WILL go wrong. It sucks but thats just the way it is.

Don't let me put you off being in a band, but its best if you know what sort of trials and trebulations you may have to endure.
Best advice I can give you, if you guys are just starting out be flexible and PLAY COVERS!! Iron out a schedule day(s) that you will practice that works for everybody. Play covers and have fun before you get too caught up in writing your own stuff. This happened to my last band...we were so focused on writing new stuff we got burnt out and broke up. Being in a band is supposed to be fun.
Tom,

Try to learn at least one new song each week. Practice until everyone is super-tight, and have FUN!!! Good luck and rock on, Brother.

Dish