I want to get a guitar but know nothing. I want an electric that I can learn on and play. I have bigger than normal fingers/hands, so I was wondering what entry level or used guitar would be best suited for me.

I want to play blues and rock/metal. Thanks for your help.
you could get some kinda Fat Strat
you can play metal with the bridge humbucker and get nice cleans with the neck single coil puckup
Hola.
chech out this fat strat
should fit your needs quite well
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by littlesparrow51
Whats your price range?

I was hoping to stay in the $200 to $300 range. I will consider spending a little more, like the fat strat price if it's worth it (wide neck and all).
you say you want to play blues and rock/metal- could you name some bands whose music you'd like to play? off the top of my head, a yamaha pacifica 112v + roland microcube amp would be worth a look, but i might change that depending on what your answer is to those bands...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like such a wide variety of music, it's hard to pinpoint a particular sound. I am just learning, but I can see myself learning Muddy Waters, JL Hooker, or any Delta blues sound.

As far as rock/metal, I like most of the 80's metal bands, Metallica, Crue, Misfits/Danzig, ACDC, etc.
Quote by -Blue-

Fat Strat just means it has a humbucker in the bridge, not that it has a fat neck.

Like I said, I know nothing. That's why I'm here.

I picked up a few acoustic guitars and I have a hard time fitting my fingers on just one string. Also, the A chord is imposible because I cant get all my fingers on three strings in the same fret.
ok, thanks. if the neck is wide enough, the pacifica should be ok for most of those styles of music, i'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my mate has a squire standard fat strat, its nice. it was i think £180 (GBP)
But tbh i wouldnt get a squire, Vintage guitars are nice, Corts are good, Fenders are Awesome. Yamaha Pacifas are allright too.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by TimBFMV
my mate has a squire standard fat strat, its nice. it was i think £180 (GBP)
But tbh i wouldnt get a squire, Vintage guitars are nice, Corts are good, Fenders are Awesome. Yamaha Pacifas are allright too.

honestly, you can't really make blanket statements about brands like that... yamaha makes guitars from entry-level up to guitars costing several thousand pounds... ditto fender. you need to compare like models with like...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jake_422
check out the vid of this one, its pretty good for an entry level guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnOt4aN2uyc&feature=related

Jerrrrrrrk >_<.

But anyway, it really depends. I like to reccomend Fat strats, or some of Ibanez's lower models to some begginers because they offer a bit of diversity, sometimes a whammy bar, and aren't terrible guitars.

Sometimes the key to learning is just to have fun with it, and not be bored in the first few months because you can't really do anything.
you should get a seven string
Quote by Dog--
Holy **** that is the single funniest thing I've ever heard, thanks grimguitarist91, hats off to you good sir.

cuz from what i heard it has a more full sound, so you'd get the metal part, but you can also play blues on it because it still has 6 strings. I dunno, IMO i just think they're super awesome and i want to get one as my next guitar, because i have yet to hear anyone compain about a seven string and they can sound so heavy.

EDIT: you also said you have large hands, so extra win. lol
Quote by Dog--
Holy **** that is the single funniest thing I've ever heard, thanks grimguitarist91, hats off to you good sir.

Last edited by grimguitarist91 at Jan 1, 2009,
i don't think you'd want to get a 7 string for your first guitar. the vast majority of guitar music is played on a six string, and you'll have enough bother when learning without having to worry about muting another string...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't think you'd want to get a 7 string for your first guitar. the vast majority of guitar music is played on a six string, and you'll have enough bother when learning without having to worry about muting another string...

good point, i forgot he was beginning. yeah, 6-strings are confusing enough when your first starting.
Quote by Dog--

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?