Here's the story. I've played through my Roland Cube X30 for over a year now, and don't get me wrong, it's a good little practice amp, but I really want a tube amp. I mainly play metal, stuff like Metallica, Opeth, Death etc.

For a few months now I've been really convinced that I would get the Krank Rev Jr Pro, but lately I've been reading that the production has been rushed and they aren't the best quality. The amp will be mostly used in the bedroom so it also has to sound good when not cranked. The cab I'm going to use is a Framus FR212 CB.

I've narrowed it down to three:
Krank Rev Jr Pro
Engl Fireball
Engl Blackmore Signature

I really like the sound the Blackmore can produce, but it's 100W and I'm afraid it might be overkill for bedroom practice. Also it's almost twice the price of the Krank. Fireball, a bit cheaper, but still kickass. Then again I really like the variety of the Blackmore.
The Krank is 20W which I guess is good for bedroom practice and small venues. Plus it's a lot cheaper then the Engl's.

So please UG help my decide!
Quote by AztecStatue
Here's the story. I've played through my Roland Cube X30 for over a year now, and don't get me wrong, it's a good little practice amp, but I really want a tube amp. I mainly play metal, stuff like Metallica, Opeth, Death etc.

For a few months now I've been really convinced that I would get the Krank Rev Jr Pro, but lately I've been reading that the production has been rushed and they aren't the best quality. The amp will be mostly used in the bedroom so it also has to sound good when not cranked. The cab I'm going to use is a Framus FR212 CB.

Krank Rev Jr Pro
Engl Fireball
Engl Blackmore Signature

I really like the sound the Blackmore can produce, but it's 100W and I'm afraid it might be overkill for bedroom practice. Also it's almost twice the price of the Krank. Fireball, a bit cheaper, but still kickass. Then again I really like the variety of the Blackmore.
The Krank is 20W which I guess is good for bedroom practice and small venues. Plus it's a lot cheaper then the Engl's.

the krank is a very loud litttle amp with only 20w of power
and the ENGLs are 100w heads
soo if you want to buy an ENGL FIREBALL (which is a very nice amp) make sure you buy an attenuator
and try some peaveys the XXX/JSX are pretty great amps and the 5150/6505 those are great metal amps
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by AztecStatue

Krank Rev Jr Pro
Engl Fireball
Engl Blackmore Signature

Holy **** dude, you have my cab and you might get my amp! Are we related?

ENGLs are very versatile amps, and they are known to sound really good even at lower volumes. Sure its a tube amp so they love getting cranked, but it won't lose its definition at lower volumes. If you need to be able to practise in your bedroom, get one of the two ENGLs.

Fireball or blackmore depends on what you want. The Blackmore is far more versatile than the Fireball, but the Fireball has more gain on tap. That said, the blackmore should have plenty of gain for anyone. Just youtube it, and you'll see just how versatile it is, and how much gain it really has. I can hook you up with high quality soundclips if you want, just send me a pm.

Another thing, are you really set on that cab? I have it, and I'm regretting it. ENGls are very middy amps and the vintage 30s might not be what you want since these are middy speakers. In retrospect I would personally go for a different cab.

Don't get an attenuator, you don't need it with an ENGl. They sound very nice at low volumes compared to most tube amps. Also, the ENGLs are more expensive than the Krank, but you are paying for quality, versatility and power. You get what you pay for, really.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by Mark G
all of this post

+1. Tube amps have volume knobs for a reason, and cranking isn't always the best option for good tone. Most tube amps have a 'sweet spot', but it's not necessarily at 11 on the knob.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks for the input so far.

Yeah I'm not really into the whole modern brutal metal or whatever you want to call it so I guess the extra gain of the Fireball isn't really necessary.

What 2x12 cab would you suggest then Mark?
Quote by AztecStatue
Thanks for the input so far.

Yeah I'm not really into the whole modern brutal metal or whatever you want to call it so I guess the extra gain of the Fireball isn't really necessary.

What 2x12 cab would you suggest then Mark?

VADER OR AVATAR CABS
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
^ yeah, if you don't play the really modern death metal type stuff, i'd avoid the fireball. the blackmore is a lot better (in my opinion) for straight ahead rock/hard rock/classic metal stuff.

I haven't tried that krank, unfortunately. i prefer engls to the kranks i have tried, but it's possible that that one might be nicer.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
VADER OR AVATAR CABS

I'm sure they are both great, but sadly not so common in Europe.
Its difficult recommending a cab, since they are very personal. You might actually like the framus 2x12 with vintage 30s, but personally I think its overkill. I'll PM you with soundclips then maybe you can make up your own mind. I personally would like to get a marshall 1960A, I think the bit scooped G12T-75 speakers would balance out the mid heavy ENGLs nicely. I could always swap the speakers later too.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by AztecStatue
I'm sure they are both great, but sadly not so common in Europe.

Haha, tell me about it. I live in South Africa and we don't get ****all here. How about Carvin?