Hello, I read a lot of threads on the forums here and whenever someone talks about soloing or composing or something in that light, I always see "stay within that key/use the right chord tones" or something along those lines, and many times this is followed by "and throw in some accidentals for balance/tension/an interesting sound". I know some basic theory but I do not understand the "throwing in" of accidentals. Do people really mean just play some random notes that aren't in the scale, or what? Basically, what I'm asking is "what accidentals does one throw into a solo to make it cool/interesting?"
Basically, what I'm asking is "what accidentals does one throw into a solo to make it cool/interesting?"

Unfortunately, this depends so much on context and taste you might as well go and try some ideas based off this for the next year.

You'll learn much more.

I like to throw in b2s everywhere. I like em. Cool, interesting, both subjective terms. I also like using totally unrelated scales and patterns in tonal contexts. I'm just lazy like that, but I think it sounds cool, if not interesting.

Really, you have to answer this yourself.
^^Exactly.

IT also depends on the message you want to bring with ur music.

If you wanna play music in a country bar, it's best to leave the whammy at home. Unless of course you think F that ****, I Can make super cool country music with it.

This is THE quest for any musician that writes his own music. No one can answer this.

We can only share our thoughts and inspire each other to how the instrument could or should be played.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by bologna121121
Hello, I read a lot of threads on the forums here and whenever someone talks about soloing or composing or something in that light, I always see "stay within that key/use the right chord tones" or something along those lines, and many times this is followed by "and throw in some accidentals for balance/tension/an interesting sound". I know some basic theory but I do not understand the "throwing in" of accidentals. Do people really mean just play some random notes that aren't in the scale, or what? Basically, what I'm asking is "what accidentals does one throw into a solo to make it cool/interesting?"

When you read advice from people who don't really know what they're talking about,
you'll get confused advise. You don't "throw in" ANY notes or play ANYTHING randomly.
No one wants to listen to that. It doesn't say anything.

The scale or key is a structure you play around. Think of it as just a reference point.
The notes in the scale/key each have a function and purpose but so do ALL the rest of
the notes.
Paul Gilbert - Guitars From Mars 2. He explains everything ya need to know 4 life. Grab the video and watch it. He uses every possible ''accidental''.

EDIT: In the SAME solo... wooooooooooooooooooooow........................

EDIT: Sorry, in ONE solo... wooooooooooooooooooooow........................
Last edited by Muppetmaster at Jan 10, 2009,