Hey guys!

I've just bought my Gibson SG, and I've also settled for a Laney LC15R 15W tube-amp. However, I've read that this particular amp could need an additional overdrive pedal to handle metal. I'm quite new and inexperienced when it comes to pedals, so any suggestions are welcome!

Rock on!
budget?
what type of metal?
guitar?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
If you want something cheap and good:

1. Look at some AMT Electronics pedals
2. Digitech Hardwire series
3. Digitech Bad Monkey

More expensive:

1. Carl Martin Plexitone
2. Fulltone OCD
3. Blackstar overdrive pedals
4. Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor
5. Mesa/Boogie V-Twin (discontinued)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
budget?
what type of metal?
guitar?

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ooh, budget.... 100-200 dollars?

Metalcore, hardcore....post-hardcore... Im not going to play anything heavier than say... In flames, so it doesnt have to be anything extreme.
if you're in the USA i honestly wouldn't bother with the lc15, there are better value options available. add that $200 to the price of the lc15 and how much do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Fulltone OCD is availible in my area.

I'm in Sweden, so I dont have much of a choice. I have spent the last 4 days trying to find a good all-tube amp for ~500 dollars. The amps on these sites are what are availible.

http://www.jamshop.se/gitarrfoerstaerkare.html
http://www.musikborsen.se/frameset.aspx?id=16159&artno=126948&fm=1
(Please click "Gitarr>>Förstärkare>>Combos")
Last edited by zatyr at Jan 1, 2009,
oh, ok, just when you gave the price in dollars, i assumed you were american, sorry.

how much is a peavey valveking where you are?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh, ok, just when you gave the price in dollars, i assumed you were american, sorry.

how much is a peavey valveking where you are?

Would you recommend that? Thats an option for me. Its 400 dollars.
recommend is probably a bit strong of a word... it's one of your few options at your budget if you want an all-tube amp which can get reasonably high gain, basically. ideally, you'd want to try it first, as they do seem to be a bit love/hate.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Classic 30 er fett, men vil nok ikke gjøre metal på egen hånd.

Jeg ville anbefalt Orange Tiny Terror + PPC112 låda paketpris for 5995, men du vil nok trenge en OD der og, for å få til metal toner. (Tror jeg, ihvertfall for de tyngste greiene)

Er ikke sikker på om han her bruker en OD av no slag, men får hvertfall til greie metal toner på en Tiny Terror: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZoWsFlJQ

(Bruker en halvdårlig mikk tror jeg.)

Her spiller han metal på en TT, bruker en Tubescreamer for tightere lead lyd, men ellers bare Tiny Terroren http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDNEGaHneJs
Last edited by JilaX^ at Jan 1, 2009,
I've listened to the sound of the Peavey Classic 30, and it's got good enough gain for me to live with.

The sound on clean and mid gain is just amazing. Say, ff i bought a classic 30 now, and I wanted more gain in the future (when I got more money). Would it be a good idea to buy a pedal then? I suppose that would bring out a good metal sound, right? Im a newbie when it comes to pedals....
Last edited by zatyr at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by zatyr
I've listened to the sound of the Peavey Classic 30, and it's got good enough gain for me to live with.

The sound on clean and mid gain is just amazing. Say, ff i bought a classic 30 now, and I wanted more gain in the future (when I got more money). Would it be a good idea to buy a pedal then? I suppose that would bring out a good metal sound, right? Im a newbie when it comes to pedals....

A good pedal should be able to do that yes.
But, take a look at the Orange Tiny Terror before you decide. You should listen to them both a bit (Demos on youtube etc) and test them out at the store and see which one you like the best.
Quote by zatyr

yeah, a boost of some kind wouldn't hurt.

basically, most people would agree that the classic 30 is a nicer amp than the VK, but it doesn't get just as heavy as the VK. not that the VK is a metal monster or anything, but it does get a bit more modern-sounding than the classic 30, from what i can remember.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?