So I've just been informed that I'm going to Europe in July or August. I'll be traveling to England first, drive around the UK for a bit, then take a plane to I think Austria or Italy, after which we'll just drive around the rest of the trip. The whole thing is about 3 weeks long. We've already decided on a few cities to visit, which are London, Venice, and a few places in Austria. I just wanted some info on a few things, cause I know many of you are European.

First, what are the legal drinking ages in the UK/Italy/Austria/France/etc? I want to know this because I'm looking forward to maybe seeing some local bands or something in bars or clubs while I'm there, but I'll only be 15 while I'm there. I could probably pass as sixteen, but that'll be about it. I want to know if I can get in to alcohol-related places. Don't care if I get sold or not, just want admission.

Second, where could I find some concert listings for July/August 2009 in eastern/Central Europe? Somewhere on the web maybe, preferably one that comes in English.

Third, to all the locals of the countries I listed and the surrounding ones, what are some good tourist kinda things we could go see? We've already decided on Beaumont-Hamel in France, due to our Newfoundland connections. We've also been recommended by an Austrian friend of my dad to go to a place called Obergugle (probably not the right spelling but it's close), Austria, as it's apparently "the most beautiful place in Europe". I don't much care for natural beauty and **** like that, I just wanna go see some good music played well, buy some cool ****, maybe make some friends and go home, but since this is a family thing I can't really complain about where we do or don't go.

And last, if I go to somewhere where another language other than English is spoken, how necessary is language training, if only basic, in that language? Or are most, or at least enough people, bilingual in English? France wouldn't be too much of a problem, as I've studied French in school for the last 8 years in school, but I want to know if somewhere like Italy would pose complications.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Also, please don't suggest anything to do with hookers or drugs as my dad is a Crown Judge.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by Pat_s1t
Also, please don't suggest anything to do with hookers or drugs as my dad is a Crown Judge.

What if it's legal?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Legal drinking age in the UK is 18 for buying alcohol, in Scotland you can drink in a restaruant with a meal when you're 16. Other wise, no, as a 15 year old you won't get sold.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Amsterdam. Weed. Hamburg. Reeperbahn. Win.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
First - You won't get into any places at all if you only look 16, it's 18 in England. However in France it is 16. Get a fake ID to be sure.

Second - I doubt you'll be able to see that far in advanced.
Go to Portugal, the legal drinking age is 16 but nobody gives a ****, I used to see 13 year old girls getting drunk off 2 shots all the time.
Or come to Greece, where you can legally drink it at any age, but you can't buy it till your 18.

I like Portugal as a country more, I used to live there, now I'm in Greece, which has better parties, better chance of getting laid, and better music scene.

Edit: **** it, just go to Amsterdam like mentioned above.
Last edited by Portuguese_boy at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by Kensai
What if it's legal?
Mmm...no.
Quote by meh!
Legal drinking age in the UK is 18 for buying alcohol, in Scotland you can drink in a restaruant with a meal when you're 16. Other wise, no, as a 15 year old you won't get sold.
don't really care much if I can get sold alcohol or not, just want to know if I can get in somewhere to see some local bands. And if I can't get into bars or whatever, would there be other places to go see some local talent?
No hookers'n'stuff = No fun = No point = Your trip is going to SUCK.
Oh Yeah!

Quote by NoochiePoochie
Thats what the pit will do to you. Make you happy and shit.

Quote by Jimmer1720
..., but hey, people in the pit are generally....well....hell, they're not people. They're savage animals.
Legal drinking age in the UK is 18. Mostly you won't get ID'd outside of the UK - I didn't get asked for ID once in Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and the Czech Republic. Not so much luck in the Netherlands and France.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Quote by Pat_s1t
Mmm...no.
don't really care much if I can get sold alcohol or not, just want to know if I can get in somewhere to see some local bands. And if I can't get into bars or whatever, would there be other places to go see some local talent?

You'll get into bars even if you're underage (as long as you're not drinking/already drunk) without a problem.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Quote by Pat_s1t

And last, if I go to somewhere where another language other than English is spoken, how necessary is language training, if only basic, in that language? Or are most, or at least enough people, bilingual in English? France wouldn't be too much of a problem, as I've studied French in school for the last 8 years in school, but I want to know if somewhere like Italy would pose complications.

I'd say everywhere you're going in Europe, 99% of them speak English pretty well so you won't have problems there. But it's always interesting to learn a little of another language.

That only means that your dad could get you out of ANYTHING. Why haven't you taken advantage of this?
Last edited by thewho65 at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Go to Portugal, the legal drinking age is 16 but nobody gives a ****, I used to see 13 year old girls getting drunk off 2 shots all the time.
Or come to Greece, where you can legally drink it at any age, but you can't buy it till your 18.

I like Portugal as a country more, I used to live there, now I'm in Greece, which has better parties, better chance of getting laid, and better music scene.

Edit: **** it, just go to Amsterdam like mentioned above.

Woah, you're in Greece?

Also, i reforce this, im 15 and i can walk up to a store, buy beer and not even get asked for ID, same with clubs/bars etc.
Kind of wrong, but im not complaining.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

I was in Germany as a teen... I never had a problem as a 15 year old hangin and sampling the local brew. Killer R&R bands all over in small venues... hit the downtown walkplatz to find postbills... sure to find something you like! Good Luck!
Bulgaria, 10 year old kids drink like madmans there, it's crazy, plus im proud to be Bulgarian.
You'll be fine getting booze on the continent but they've really cracked down here in Britain over the last five years or so. I never got asked for ID at 15 but now at 21 it happens fairly often.
UK - you won't get served unless you look over 21. If you look under they WILL ID you. And it's 18 to drink/smoke here so basically you're f*cked You can get into bars/pubs etc, you just won't be served alcohol, anything else you will get though (Coke, Fanta etc). Obviously there are exceptions to the rule and a few pubs will serve you under the table but these are very rare - if they're caught they can have their licence taken off them so they don't risk it. If you're in a city centre (which you will be most of the time if not all) you won't have a chance. Rural pubs tend not to care so much but still will mostly ID you.

As for Europe, learn some German/Italian (German will be easy - It's related to English. 99% of the time people will speak fluent English, but it's good just in case. Don't compare things to how things are in Canada - it doesn't make you look good.). For drinking, it depends on the drink. I know especially in Germany you can buy beer at 16 but you can't buy spirits till your 18. I think the UK is the ONLY country that doesn't do that...

If you go into Denmark you can buy beer at 15 - But you're not so that doesn't apply. :/

Remember - In the UK we drive on the LEFT side of the road (not that you can drive here either, it's 17 to drive but remind whoever is driving that here it's on the left. Europe is on the right like Canada)
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Jan 1, 2009,
take me with you i dont wanna go back to school yet
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by thewho65
I'd say everywhere you're going in Europe, 99% of them speak English pretty well so you won't have problems there. But it's always interesting to learn a little of another language.

That only means that your dad could get you out of ANYTHING. Why haven't you taken advantage of this?

lol. have you been to France, Gemany or Italy recently?