Well we're playing a pretty big show in March... part of something called Surface Unsigned... a pretty big nation wide battle of the bands... It's split up into stages, and rounds etc.

The whole competition lasts months, so its pretty big.

Thing is... our singer never comes to practice, he never wants to come to practice, he doesn't really want to do this show either. I mean he's an amazing singer, but he's so f*cking stubborn, I REALLY want to do this show, it's a great oppurtunity... We are provided the drum kit, amps, mics, and our own sound tech so it's a pretty cool thing.

So we're pretty much f*cked if our singer pulls out at the last minute... I want give him the boot, his commitment is shocking. But there's no singers around who's as good as him... And when he does sing live, he's a great showman really.

What do we do?

Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Either give him the boot, deal with his ways, or smack him in the face.

Honestly, talent is a hard thing to pass up, but commitment is really the most important thing in a band in my opinion, that alongside chemistry.
Search for a new singer, or sit this one down and talk to him.
What a DICK!
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Strong characters make a band even better...whether they are twats or not.

Thats not allways true but for your situation it is best to think like that
You need to either boot him or make him see sense. If you don't do anything about it then he'll carry on thinking that it's OK to do it.

Then after the show, kick him. He sounds like a lousy band member anyway, good singer/frontman or not.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Why is he against it?

A lot of these nation-wide battle-of-the-bands things are a half a notch above scam. Maybe he knows something you don't?

(I am completely unfamiliar with the one you mentioned.... )

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
It's a classic scenario. I think the question here is how far are you willing to push your friend into doing something he doesn't want to do just beacuse YOU want to fulfill your dream? And you'd need to be very remote to not find anyone who can sing, put up ads in music shops and music schools and so on, my bass player and keyboardist live 3 hours train from me and my other guitarist lives 1 hour in the other direction, and it's a hassle sometimes but we cope because we're into it and we're doing pretty well.
He sounds like some kind of Axl Rose.
Get rid of him, now.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by axemanchris
Why is he against it?

A lot of these nation-wide battle-of-the-bands things are a half a notch above scam. Maybe he knows something you don't?

(I am completely unfamiliar with the one you mentioned.... )

CT

www.surfaceunsigned.co.uk

It's not just this competition it's against... He's against us looking for local gigs, against coming to practice, and against recording January

We recorded once last year and he loved it... He use to ALWAYS come to practice, always lay down ideas for songs... For the last couple of months he's been acting really different... more focussed on other things.
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Sounds like he's stopped caring about the music now..

Get rid of him. It's unlikely he'll change back.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
Sounds like he's stopped caring about the music now..

Get rid of him. It's unlikely he'll change back.

I agree. When he stops contributing, it's best to just cut your losses and go for it.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Ignore everyone on this thread who's trying to tell you what to do with woefully insufficient information.

Read over your own posts and then go and talk to your singer.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by DimebagJosho
www.surfaceunsigned.co.uk

It's not just this competition it's against... He's against us looking for local gigs, against coming to practice, and against recording January

We recorded once last year and he loved it... He use to ALWAYS come to practice, always lay down ideas for songs... For the last couple of months he's been acting really different... more focussed on other things.

Puberty. Looks like he is more interested in boobiez and fapping to me. What music do you play? For some types of music it's easy to find a singer just as good or better, but some not so much.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Give him the boot, and find the best you can, and make do woth it. And good luck
Quote by shadesofanger
Puberty. Looks like he is more interested in boobiez and fapping to me. What music do you play? For some types of music it's easy to find a singer just as good or better, but some not so much.

Southern, groove metalish influenced kinda thing...
Black Label Society meets Rhoads' era of Ozzy Osbourne :P
And yeah the whole puberty thing sounds about right..

But yeah update -

The band can't get in touch with our singer... we're all up for kicking him out.
I mean we gave him the choice a few weeks back, and he said he'd sort it out... which he did for a week, then slipped up again. So on Sunday at practice, we're just going to phone him and boot him. We're also keeping an eye out for a replacement
Thanks for the help guys
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Tell him to pull his head in, or knock it in for him lol
Sounds like he has a ****ty attitude
Quote by mental_zer0

The fear of the clock became too obvious. got expelled.

Quote by jmilli2
Spread rumours that she is a jew. Then all you need to do is sit back and wait for the secret police to make her 'disappear'.

lol?
Wow, this thread is ridiculous. Try finding out WHY he's against your band doing all that stuff before you do something rash like kicking him out. Really, these responses are appalling.
Quote by Zycho
Wow, this thread is ridiculous. Try finding out WHY he's against your band doing all that stuff before you do something rash like kicking him out. Really, these responses are appalling.

He should have no reason to not play the shows. He is a singer of a band, a band plays shows and he sings for them, if he doesn't the band has to find a new singer that will sing for the shows.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Pay him, or yell at him.

I would say, if he doesn't improve, kick his ass out the moment you can replace him.
Quote by shadesofanger
He should have no reason to not play the shows. He is a singer of a band, a band plays shows and he sings for them, if he doesn't the band has to find a new singer that will sing for the shows.

Which is why I suggested finding out why he doesn't want to play them. Around here we have these battle of the bands contests that charge an entry fee, and then the winner is chosen by crowd response. That means you have to hustle your ass off to get your own crowd to buy tickets so they will vote for you. It is a very small variation on pay to play. Essentially, the band who brings the most people wins and gets to go on to the next round. Seriously, if you brought the people out, you could just get up on stage and tell a couple of knock-knock jokes and still win. (as long as your crowd of friends will still cheer loudly)

The profits at the end - made on the backs of all the other bands that didn't make it - go to pay for the prizes, with a pretty tidy paycheque for the promoter as well. (and screw all for the bands who play and who don't win)

I personally see myself as above that kind of thing. Maybe this singer does too, and that's why he doesn't want to do it. Not all gigs are created equally.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jan 3, 2009,