Page 1 of 2
I was searching Ebay for some good deals earlier and stumbled upon an Epiphone Black Beauty (You know, the black ones with all gold hardware and 3 'buckers?) with a broken off headstock. How hard/expensive would it be to fix this baby up? This is the cheaper equivalent to a dream guitar for me.

By fix up I mean:

Re-attatch headstock
Repaint to cover wood filler where necessary

Unfortunately it's a pretty gnarly looking break and would need wood filler, not just some super-insane glue.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
dude, a word of advice, if you want to bag a bargain on ebay, dont advertise the guitar
=---Can't stop addicted to the shindig!!
Pics would be useful, it'd be a lot easier if you provided them.

And wood filler isn't very strong when it comes to bonding, so depending where the break is, you'd have ti glue back together with some strong wood glue and clamp it down for a day or two. If there is still some dents or missing wood, then you could use wood filler to fill those holes or gaps.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by Natrone
I was searching Ebay for some good deals earlier and stumbled upon an Epiphone Black Beauty (You know, the black ones with all gold hardware and 3 'buckers?) with a broken off headstock. How hard/expensive would it be to fix this baby up? This is the cheaper equivalent to a dream guitar for me.

By fix up I mean:

Re-attatch headstock
Repaint to cover wood filler where necessary

Unfortunately it's a pretty gnarly looking break and would need wood filler, not just some super-insane glue.

I wouldn't do it, lol.

just my personal opinionnn
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
Quote by Glennjoe
dude, a word of advice, if you want to bag a bargain on ebay, dont advertise the guitar

He's right.

Expect to put in at $250, possibly more with with complications. Reattaching the headstock wouldn't be that big of a deal. But if you need a new headstock your going to have to take it in. So, even though it might only cost $5 for some glue to reattach it, expect to spend some money if things don't go right so you don't end up with a broken guitar just laying around.

Good Luck
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

They're worth about 800 new..
so factor in what you're paying, and what the cost could be to repair it.

Keeping in mind the benefits you get buying new, like warranty and that.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Quote by Edwardthegreat5
Pics would be useful, it'd be a lot easier if you provided them.

And wood filler isn't very strong when it comes to bonding, so depending where the break is, you'd have ti glue back together with some strong wood glue and clamp it down for a day or two. If there is still some dents or missing wood, then you could use wood filler to fill those holes or gaps.

Yes, I know wood filler isn't stong enough to hold it together. I've lurked in this forum enough to actually have learned quite a bit about building and repairs.
Quote by ginjaninja
How much is it?
How much is a new one?

Trust me, the price:price ratio on this is good enough for me not to question whether it's a good deal.

And yeah...now that I think of it I should have just said I found a deal somewhere. Probably shouldn't have advertised the Ebay name....but whatever.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
if it doesnt work out then you have a good set of humbuckers, electronics, tuners, hardware and a body you could gut to allow for a bolt on neck (if you have the experience to do so)

if i had the spare cash and the desire for the guitar id get it
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
You should really provide pics, there's not much I can tell you without them. If you're still a little paranoid, at least describe in detail where the break it. Like I said, depending on the angle, size of the break, and the spot where it's broken.

I really don't think anyone would have too much interest in the guitar here, as most people aren't jerks, not would they want a broken guitar.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Ok, here are the requested pics.
Full shot with body/neck and dismembered head

Good picture of the break (like I said, pretty gnarly)

Picture of the dismembered head

So basically, its broken off right at the nut, and a bit of an angle break. There is quite a bit of wood missing at the break, which could be filled with wood filler/thick glue. Then sand the neck at that spot, refinish, good as new.
Some advice from otter, lpaddict, or invaderjim would be greatly appreciated....
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jan 1, 2009,
no. dont get it. the truss rod broke too. the break in itself wouldnt be too hard to fix, but the truss rod is nearly unfixable.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
no. dont get it. the truss rod broke too. the break in itself wouldnt be too hard to fix, but the truss rod is nearly unfixable.

Ok. Thanks!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Ok. Thanks!

What a horrible way to die though. Looks like it was a young one, who fell off a roller coaster, and got decapitated.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
buy it and make it headless!

mmmmmm
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

^nah. its still gonna be useless for at least 6 months of the year without a truss rod..the neck will warp like crazy....but a headless les paul???? someone do this. now.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by conor1148
buy it and make it headless!

mmmmmm

Headless LP?

Hmmm...provocative thought, but I duZ n0t hAz t3h $ki11z

EDIT: Hey....umm...couldn't I just replace the truss rod?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Headless LP?

If you really wanted to, you could replace the whole neck, just find a replacement neck on warmoth and remove the old neck as cleanly as possible, then just glue the new one in.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
How hard/expensive would that be?

If it's gonna be too much work, I found another pretty good deal for an Epi LP Custom, so I might just get that and (eventually) replace the pups, because my understanding is that Epiphone stock pups aren't very good.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Headless LP?

of course, you could steam off the old fret board and put it in, not that hard.

i like the idea of just replacing the neck all together
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Why are people saying that the truss rod's broken? I can't see that from the pics :\

Either buy it and glue it up, or sand back and scarf a new headstock on. It doesn't actually look that bad.
Quote by Natrone
How hard/expensive would that be?

If it's gonna be too much work, I found another pretty good deal for an Epi LP Custom, so I might just get that and (eventually) replace the pups, because my understanding is that Epiphone stock pups aren't very good.

I disagree, Epiphone stock pups sound pretty damn nice to me. I have a SG Special, and have played a Silverburst Les Paul, both stock pups, of course, the LP had better tone, but SG doesn't sound bad at all. I actually prefer playing it strait through my amp rather than using my DigiTech RP350, lol, but yeah
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Quote by -MintSauce-
Why are people saying that the truss rod's broken? I can't see that from the pics :\

Either buy it and glue it up, or sand back and scarf a new headstock on. It doesn't actually look that bad.

I was actually wondering the same thing, because it looks like its still all one piece to me too
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
The truss rod is still there then nut is the only part under the nut area. I doesnt look like that bad of a break. And if it was cheap enough the fret board can come off and a new rod put in. As for those saying just buy a warmoth neck and glue it in have obviously never tried to get the neck out of a epi. Or tried to glue a fender neck to a set neck body.
i say buy it, if its close to your dream guitar
then surely it'll be worth the hassle?
and the truss rod didn't look too banged up to me tbh
Well, not necessarily a dream guitar. Just a guitar that I think is really cool. If the price stays low enough I'll give it a shot. How would I go about doing that on this particular break though? I know replace the nut, glue together whatever I can, and sand/repaint after the repairs are done, but how to fix it?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by -MintSauce-
Tbh, you could probably get away with drilling a few holes, whacking some dowels in, then gluing it with Titebond.

This would/should definately work. lol. your gonna have to show me that black beauty when you get it. lol, nathan you know what they say right? once you go back, you don't go back!
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Quote by evortre
This would/should definately work. lol. your gonna have to show me that black beauty when you get it. lol, nathan you know what they say right? once you go back, you don't go back!

Yeah man I know. My first guitar was a gloss black acoustic, so I went black early on
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Yeah man I know. My first guitar was a gloss black acoustic, so I went black early on

Lol. me too, first act black fender copy, i didn't stay black, i got red, and a natural finish! :P
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Dude, this is way too weird. First guitar was a gloss black acoustic. Second was a metallic red Squier Strat......

So, back to the repair. After looking at the picture again, judging by the size of where the nut should be, I don't think the break is really as bad as the picture makes it look. In fact, it looks like a relatively easy fix. Titebond and clamps, it appears, should do just fine.

Opinions?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Dude, this is way too weird. First guitar was a gloss black acoustic. Second was a metallic red Squier Strat......

So, back to the repair. After looking at the picture again, judging by the size of where the nut should be, I don't think the break is really as bad as the picture makes it look. In fact, it looks like a relatively easy fix. Titebond and clamps, it appears, should do just fine.

Opinions?

I'd say yeah, but just me, I wouldn't buy a broken guitar unless I'd fixed one myself before.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Quote by evortre
I'd say yeah, but just me, I wouldn't buy a broken guitar unless I'd fixed one myself before.

gotta start somewhere

nah i think its worth it
aslong as you know how to fix it
then it shouldn't be too hard
Well then would I be doing it right if...

1. Cover anything I don't want glue on with tape and plastic.
2. Glue up the headstock to the neck with Titebond
3. Wipe away excess glue
4. Clamp down the glued part, and wipe away any more excess glue
6. Fill in any gaps with wood filler
7. Sand down and paint to match
8. Replace nut.
9. String up and ROCK!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Well then would I be doing it right if...

1. Cover anything I don't want glue on with tape and plastic.
2. Glue up the headstock to the neck with Titebond
3. Wipe away excess glue
4. Clamp down the glued part, and wipe away any more excess glue
6. Fill in any gaps with wood filler
7. Sand down and paint to match
8. Replace nut.
9. String up and ROCK!

Not 100% sure, but I bet thats it.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
That is a bad break, there isnt much surface area to glue it together. Where do you people find these broken headstock guitars on ebay! I can never find them..

That would not be an easy clamp it up and wood fill.. That break would require a lot of work.
Seriously? Crap.

Oh well, I checked the price and it went way beyond what someone who is broke as a joke would consider reasonable, so I'm just going to forget about it and start plans for a somewhat custom Strat.

BTW, just type in the word "fix" in your search criteria after the guitar model you want.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
hey, get it, and then get a Gibson headstock. who else would know it was epi but you?
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
hey, get it, and then get a Gibson headstock. who else would know it was epi but you?

id say if you feel like taking a chance go for it, atleast you'll have alot of hardware left over if it goes to ****
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Why lie? Nobody will give a **** about your gear if you can make stuff like a Squier through a Frontman sound amazing.
Page 1 of 2