Me and the other guitarist started the band in October, we got ourselves a drummer that, luckily, knew a bassist. Bassist's pretty good and crazy (been playing for 2 years I guess), drummer is learning (been playing for 1), odd time signatures are a pain in the ass for him and he doesn't show much variety.

The other guitarist (also been playing for 1 year) is... dedicated, more than I am because my college sucks a lot of time and they're all in high school. Still me (been playing for 4 years or so) and him we're the ones that show up with new ideas. The problem (at least for me) is that his ideas are... repetitive and uninteresting and also he goes always for metal, when the band's propose is to make rock n' roll music.
He's always saying that he loves complex riffs because he only listens to complex music (Dream Theater, Symphony X, Paul Gilbert) but when he tries to be complex, it doesn't make any sense and it's not complex at all. Please don't get me wrong, I know this because our music is not going anywhere, the most we can get out of it is an intro, verse, chorus, same verse and well nothing more.

I'm tired of telling him to start simple, not to just make riffs etc but doesn't seem to work. When I show up with my ideas, he will always tell something about it and change almost everything, and damn I kinda let it go to see where it goes because I feel a little bit cornered by it, because I don't want to say STOP you know, and he really wants this band to go forward.

The drummer and the bassist are not taking this seriously and I really don't like the way the guy acts and the way he sees music. Maybe I should quit the band, but there's no one here to be with and jam and music stuff. What do you think I should do?
Last edited by symba05 at Jan 1, 2009,
If the music and band are going no were !!! WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING? If you are serious and they are not ...move on!!!!!

Some times Him challenging you to be more complex might broaden the spectrum ? just a thought
If your not happy yourself about the music then it will only get worse in future. Try and find a new band or go solo.
I had the same problem, kinda. Our drummer was an 80's metal head. Which I (guitarist) was cool with, but our bassist ALWAYS had a problem with it. The bassist quit, then it was just me and the drummer, he quit because, well, he moved miles away. It happens.
Quote by 7stringkiller
If the music and band are going no were !!! WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING? If you are serious and they are not ...move on!!!!!

Some times Him challenging you to be more complex might broaden the spectrum ? just a thought

Move on to what? There's no one here.

He doesn't challenge me, because he seems to like what I do. The thing is he always wants to do something on everything just to make sure he contributed, you know, to make sure that he did his part.