Is it really all that importaint to have the posture that they have in the classical guitar books? Its really difficult to find a place i can actually sit like that and play, not to mention the fact that i dont have a footstool.... is there any alternative ways to sit, or could i just sit how i used to play my electric? or can i sit like andy mckee in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExgqnilG4pU ? please be kind lol, im a noob to this style.
Proud member of the r0k 4 Chr15† club, PM christianbassis oe teh raven to join
My guitars-
Ibanez RX-40 (Had it since I was six lol )
A spanish classical guitar
just hold it like you would your electric. i hated that posture so much but its meant to make you pla more comfortably/relaxed. but yea i can play just as well if i held it on my lap as i would an electric so eff that posture. unless you're signed up for a classical guitar competition...then you should probably stick with it.
ty so much
My guitars-
It's more to avoid injury than anything, in the classical position your wrist isn't being bent in a weird way and your back isn't all hunched over. Most people play in the more nontraditional way with minimal problems, but over time it can cause injury to the wrist and cause scoliosis.
oh, is there any way to avoid injury using a normal posture? Is it mostly with the right wrist?
My guitars-
if you play fingerstyle then its a lot easier (for me at least) to play in the classical guitar posture. when i play fingerstyle with my guitar in my right leg my right wrist is bent to the right so i can hit the strings better and it feels uncomfortable. just use something to put your foot up on, it dosent have to be a footstool
For me I never use my footstool anymore, when I need the classical position I just prop my one foot on top of my other and there ya go.

I didn't like it at first either though.
I recommend using a footstool. It works for me, I can't play **** with the guitar on my lap. Fretting is much easier for me when using the stool. Try it, you'll get used to it.
your advice from what iv,e read is correct but when you do play for points your posture is to the upmost imp. like everything it just takes alittle tyme good luck and keep at it!
Quote by SDmelody
if you play fingerstyle then its a lot easier (for me at least) to play in the classical guitar posture. when i play fingerstyle with my guitar in my right leg my right wrist is bent to the right so i can hit the strings better and it feels uncomfortable. just use something to put your foot up on, it dosent have to be a footstool

Yes, fingerstyle, especially arpeggios, is much easier in the classical position if you have it mastered. It's much easier to pluck the strings instead of ending up rubbing them, which sometimes happens when you play with the guitar on your lap. Basically, the fingers of both your right and left hands make a 90º angle with the strings.
As for the footstool, use a dictionary or, like someone here said, put your left foot on top of your right foot.
Quote by Gen.llama
oh, is there any way to avoid injury using a normal posture? Is it mostly with the right wrist?

I've been playing for a while and I haven't really noticed any problems. Just keep your back strong and stretch out your hands, including your wrists.