Hey,

Me and my band are interested in been able to record our practice sessions so we have recordings to work lyrics to while away from practice. Is there an easy way of doing this with a SPIRIT FOLIO SX mixer and a laptop? What extra equipment will we need if any?

Cheers!
I don't know much about the mixer you mentioned, but unless it has an analog/digital converter built in (not likely) you're going to need an interface between that and your laptop. Also, what kind of recording software are you using?
hey thanks for the reply,

What sort of interface :S you've kinda lost me here?
and any software we need we will get? what would say is best?

Thanks!
An interface essentially takes your analog signal and turns it into a digital signal that can be understood by your computer. I'm a bit out of touch and what's currently out on the market, I personally use a 10 input, 10 output USB Edirol, but that would probably be overkill in your case. For you, I'd recommend a basic model, something with 2 ins, 2 outs. If you have a mixer, you shouldn't need a model that comes with built-in preamps, as your mixer has preamps in every channel. All you do is plus the outs from your mixer into the ins of your interface, plus the interface into your laptop, and your set. The interface will also function as an external sound card.

For recording software, there's a lot to choose from. I use SONAR, but maybe you'd only need something like Garageband or Reason. Do some research and determine what's best for your needs. These things aren't cheap, so also keep in mind what you'd like to do with it down the line.
These things aren't cheap, so also keep in mind what you'd like to do with it down the line.

Hence why my ex-band never recorded...

...in the end, it's almost more practical to just hire out a studio.
True, but you gotta think long run also. And while these things aren't necessarily cheap, it's a fraction of the cost of studio gear even 15 years ago. Investing $1500 today can save you thousands more down the line. Pretty much anybody can make really good quality demos with a basic DAW setup.
True, but better have a shit demo you can use for reference now than wait an eon until said person has the money to afford the required home equipment.

Synopsis: Can afford it? Get the home equipment.
Can't afford it, but can wait? Save your money.
Can't wait? Go record.
Why don't you just grab an acoustic and record the songs in Audacity. That way, you have som ebasis with which to write lyrics to and then can show it to the other guys. Then you can build it up to make a full band song out of it. It's what a lot of big band's do (and smaller ones too). I've done it many times.

It just seems easier to me than going through the grand rigmarole of buying all this expensive stuff.

You can even make somehwat decent demos on Audacity i've found, if you can get some good mixing software (available on the internet).

Just my 0.02 and my attempt at saving your money, what with the current economic climate.

db
I'm using N-Track Studio for amp & effect simulation, Hydrogen for drums, and Audacity for mixing. The only program that requires registration is N-Track, and that's not until after 10 days, giving you plenty of time to record some basic tracks.

Although we have access to a full recording rig, if your purpose for recording is just to listen back to stuff so you can make it better (in other words, not for sharing with others outside of the band), then maybe look into a Zoom H2. We record our rehearsals with one of those and it works brilliantly for that purpose. I don't think it was all that expensive either, as recorders go.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Hey Thanks for all the replies,

I have looked through some audio interfaces by searching google, but I want to know what do others recommend? Could I use a 2 in 2 out setup and record seperate parts?

I think I would rather use a 10 input or 8 and record as much at once as possible...

Thanks
Get a little digital recorder like axeman said.
Zoom H2 and Line6 Bakcline + mic are both pretty good.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Yeah, a digital 8 track would be a good option as well. Usually they have some built in effects you'll want, like reverb and delay. Probably cheaper then getting a DAW setup as well.
Until he goes out and buys a bunch of mics to plug into the digital 8-track or whatever else he chooses to use.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
weve got mics to mic amps and drums up. we wont be needin effects...just a raw recording of a session tbh....