ok, so i bought a used peavey classic 30 about a month ago, and when i turn it on it makes a noise like an airplane taking off kinda, the noise is hard to describe. This noise is on for about 5 minutes and the amp makes no sound during that time. But then, the noise will stop and the amp will work perfectly.

Please help i have no clue what could be wrong
Quote by guitarguy592
ok, so i bought a used peavey classic 30 about a month ago, and when i turn it on it makes a noise like an airplane taking off kinda, the noise is hard to describe. This noise is on for about 5 minutes and the amp makes no sound during that time. But then, the noise will stop and the amp will work perfectly.

Please help i have no clue what could be wrong

Did you check your cables to make sure no wires are broken inside?

What pedals are you running into it?
guys, cmon im not an amp retard. It takes about 5 min for it to warm up, and while its warming up it makes strange noises
hmm maybe a bad outlet? or poor connections inside the amp? it might help if we had some clips
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Check the tubes perhaps? Thats the first thing I'd look into before everything else
Quote by guitarguy592
guys, cmon im not an amp retard. It takes about 5 min for it to warm up, and while its warming up it makes strange noises

Sorry, but if you think it takes 5 minutes for an amp to warm up, you are amp retarded.

It takes about 30 seconds for an amp to warm up...

The sound you're describing might be motorboating, typically a decoupling cap problem, but I'd go take it to a tech for an actual diagnosis, it's hard to really tell in the scenario that you've given, and motorboating can be a real bitch to troubleshoot.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 2, 2009,
What channel is it on when you turn it on/off? When I turn mine on/off while on the drive channel it usually make all kinds of noises and ****, but when it's on clean, everything runs smoothly.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
Epiphone G-400 1968 w/ Mean 90
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by al112987
Sorry, but if you think it takes 5 minutes for an amp to warm up, you are amp retarded.

It takes about 30 seconds for an amp to warm up...

The sound you're describing might be motorboating, typically a decoupling cap problem, but I'd go take it to a tech for an actual diagnosis, it's hard to really tell in the scenario that you've given, and motorboating can be a real bitch to troubleshoot.

obviously u dont understand....regular amps take 30 seconds to warm up, and mine is taking 5 minutes, which is the reason i am posting this thread, so if you can please help me and not be a smart ass it would be nice

and it doesn't matter what channel its on
Quote by guitarguy592
obviously u dont understand....regular amps take 30 seconds to warm up, and mine is taking 5 minutes, which is the reason i am posting this thread, so if you can please help me and not be a smart ass it would be nice

That "smartass" is a very smart guy, be respectful and be more careful about how you word your posts, it is understandable that he misunderstood you.

Check your tubes to see if they are all glowing when you turn it on.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I'd buy some new tubes to test it out...worse comes to worse it's not the tubes and you have extra tubes layin around for when they do go on you
Otherwise take it to a tech, cause it could be slowly damaging the amp
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by guitarguy592

I think you missed the fact that I'm the only person who even given any real advice here.
I'll trust al on this... take it to a tech.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by guitarguy592

Yeah Al, stop being a smart ass and give him real advice

Oh, and TS, when did this start happening?

I've read many about causes to this problem and I'm pretty sure it's a decoupling cap issue.

The other causes are along the lines of faulty wiring and errors during modification.

Is your amp modified in any way?
yea....my bad bro i got caught a little off guard and forgot to read the rest of your post, i just don't like being called a retard.

Now what exactly is a decoupling cap issue, and how would i solve this problem?
First, take it to a tech and make sure that you have a decoupling cap issue.

Then, I guess you would need to change the decoupling caps.

Al, would he have to replace his whole circuit board to fix this ( seeing as it is a PCB board)