I have an old Encore strat (KC3 or something), the tuners, pickups, bridge, whammy bar, and the electronics are all weak, but the body is fine, and I love the feel of the neck.

So should I bother saving up and breathing life into this cheap strat by giving it new parts and painting it my own style, or not bother and save up to get a new amp?

Has anyone here got a cheap guitar then made it powerful, or tried but realised you cant polish a turd?
no, buy a new one, you'll get used to the new neck, buy an Epiphone, i have the les paul, you wont be dissapionted.
I think it's worth it, within reason, but everyone else here seems to disagree. My Squier Affinity was always better than the average Squier but I ended up giving her new pups anyway. I love that guitar.

edit:
Quote by classrock77
no, buy a new one, you'll get used to the new neck, buy an Epiphone, i have the les paul, you wont be dissapionted.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.
oh you were asking if you should get a new amd lol, get a new guitar first, then replace the amp if you want. thats what i did.
i had an Encore Precision rip-off
modded it all out and stuff and it's now awesome and completely custom
but it cost me about £700
the neck was about £350 though, and that's because it was a rare vintage original

my advice would be to plan out how you're going to make it look and sound awesome, see how much it should cost and go for it
Rockin' shit
I have a cheap Squier Strat copy, I recently got a Luna Apollo though, MUCH better. But I am holding on to the Squier. I'm gonna use it as a guinea pig for any experiments I might want to do. When I get some parts and time I'm gonna try and fix it up a little bit. New nut, tuners, pickups, bridge, should be a lot better. Ultimately though its just a side project, I like the look, feel, and sound of my Apollo.

So if you can afford it, get something new, but hold on to the old one, just to tinker with at times.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
I think that the guitar you like how it feels and how it sounds is the more suited to be your partner. Try other guitar before planning anything, if you like the way any of them feels/sonds/etc... Go for it, if not then...

Plan what you want to do with your Squier first and investigate plenty before buying anything. I myself am the type of person who likes to do this sort of stuff.

Anywho, remember to have enough spare money to get hooked with a nice amp.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
it an encore not a squire i would reccomend modding it .due to the fun invovlded
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by IronMole
I have an old Encore strat (KC3 or something), the tuners, pickups, bridge, whammy bar, and the electronics are all weak, but the body is fine, and I love the feel of the neck.

So should I bother saving up and breathing life into this cheap strat by giving it new parts and painting it my own style, or not bother and save up to get a new amp?

Has anyone here got a cheap guitar then made it powerful, or tried but realised you cant polish a turd?
Do both!

It's amazing what a nice amp can do even for the most inexpensive guitar. I have a bunch of inexpensive, discontinued Squiers, Ibanezes, and Schecters that sound like beasts through decent (or more than decent) tube/valve amps.

Good Luck!

Whether it's worth upgrading your guitar or not depends on what you want out of it.

I have a Squier strat which has been upgraded to the point that I prefer playing to my MIA Fender Telecaster. If I was starting again, I'd have just bought a Fender Strat, it would have been cheaper probably (there really isn't much left that was Squier - the body, and the bridge (which will be replaced as soon as the new one is delivered) and the neck plate.

I have learned a lot, and enjoyed the process hugely. I've ended up with a Strat that is built to my specifications, with a V profile neck, and the hardware and options I wanted.

To do it properly will be more expensive that buying say a MIM strat, which is a good guitar, but you would miss out on the learning experience.
The Encore is a Romanian brand , so the quality of the electronics is **** , same for the pickups.

If it's for persoanal use , just change the pickups and the pots.
Also shield all the cavitys , the shielding from encores usualy is bad.