Okay, I've been meaning to replace the pickups in my Ibanez AS-73 for quite a while now, since the stock pickups are terrible, although not as bad as I thought they would be. I'm primarily looking for a neck pickup that does a good modern jazz sound, but I need a bridge that does hard rock. I was thinking I'd put a PAF Pro or a Tone Zone in the bridge, but I'm not really sure if DiMarzio has anything I would like for the neck. I'm open to spending more on the neck than I am for the bridge, since this guitar is primarily my jazz guitar.
Seymour Duncan JB/'59 combo.

That's pretty much /thread right there.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K

The '59 is a bit too PAF-y for what I'm looking for, and the JB is meh.
For neck pickups, perhaps an Air Norton or a Norton? Also maybe an Evolution.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
For neck pickups, perhaps an Air Norton or a Norton? Also maybe an Evolution.

I was thinking about an Air Norton. Is the Norton or the Air Norton warmer?
Quote by Holy Katana
I was thinking about an Air Norton. Is the Norton or the Air Norton warmer?

As it would appear, the Norton is warmer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
As it would appear, the Norton is warmer.

Well, I'll look into the Norton, as well as the Air Norton.

Are Bartolinis good?
If you want a warmer tone, go for the Norton. However if you want more of a sterile clean tone, go for a DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell in the neck.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Sorry if this has already been mentioned and I overlooked it but what amp are you currently using? New pickups won't help much if you're amp isn't voiced for the style of music you're wanting to play.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Sorry if this has already been mentioned and I overlooked it but what amp are you currently using? New pickups won't help much if you're amp isn't voiced for the style of music you're wanting to play.

I'm using a Vox Valvetronix AD15VT, and no, I'm not getting a new amp right now, so please suggest some pickups.

By the way, my AS-73 is a semihollow, as you can see in my profile pic, so take that into consideration, and I'm going to be using it to play jazz, fusion, hard rock, and alternative. The guitar has a maple body and a mahogany neck, just like an ES-335.

I hope that this extra info can help you with your recommendations.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jan 3, 2009,
Quote by V.U.K

pretty much **** off, more like.

Quote by Holy Katana
The '59 is a bit too PAF-y for what I'm looking for, and the JB is meh.

exactly, that's what i'd have thought too. i wouldn't put anything too hot into the bridge position, they aren't meant to work too well in semi-hollows... i'd put something more in the vintage-hot category into the bridge position, probably. and then something jazzier (alnico II?) in the neck... what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
pretty much **** off, more like.

exactly, that's what i'd have thought too. i wouldn't put anything too hot into the bridge position, they aren't meant to work too well in semi-hollows... i'd put something more in the vintage-hot category into the bridge position, probably. and then something jazzier (alnico II?) in the neck... what's your budget?

I'm looking at the $150-200 range for the set, although I'll take something cheaper if it's good.
ok... personally i'd go for something handwound, because apart from anything you can get personal advice from the company, and if they don't make something which you want, they might be able to custom wind you something.

i've got a set of swinesheads, they're nice pickups for a decent price (though they're more expensive than they used to be ). www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk off the top of my head, a warthog or runaway combined with a condor in the neck might do what you want, but obviously email them for advice.

rockmonkeys are meant to be great (haven't tried them yet), they're made my corduroy_EW on here, 10% UG discount too. www.rockmonkeyguitars.com

then there's bareknuckle, shed, bulldog etc. etc. if you're willing to spend a bit more.

hauessel in germany might be worth a look, not too sure on prices or if it'd be any cheaper shipping from germany or the UK... i tried some in a nik huber and they seemed to be nice pickups.

lundgren is based in sweden, i think, if you want to stay closer to home... never tried them or heard much about them, unfortunately.

you really have a lot of options, unfortunately...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, they're meant to be good too. al/andrew got a set in the past few days, he seems to like his a lot.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?