I'm learning a solo that is played in only the 2-5 frets at the moment.
Each finger takes up one fret and is only used for that fret since the piece is played almost strictly as 16ths.
I can't play through the whole thing though since my palm starts hurting like hell after about 15-20 seconds, it's already gotten a bit swollen.

Is this because of my technique?
if your hand is hurting after 15-20 seconds of playing then that is bad

do a warm up!!!

also scale practice is good to loosen up hands and to build up stamina
I can play for 30 mins straight without and hurting if I don't have my pinky extended all time time.
It doesn't matter if I warm up, I've already been playing for 3 hours today before I started doing this thing again.
This is a bad sign. Be sure to stop when this happens, you don't want to injure yourself and have to spend time away from the guitar.

Examine your technique - particularly looking out for tension, and examine your hand/arm/wrist position to make sure you are not in a compromised position that is causing the tension (a good test to see if this is what is happening, is to transpose it to the 7th position - a much more neutral position, angle-wise, and see if the problems exist there as well).
Practice this
-0-2-3-5-3-2-0
P M p M P P-Pointer M-Middle R-Ring Finger p-pinky

And this
-0-2-4-5-4-2-0
P R p R P
For a while, going as fast as you feel comfortable with (alternate picked Prefferably) on any string, and keep it up long past the point it burns. It'll work the strength and endurance on all your fingers.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
whats the 7th position?

The term "position" refers to the fret your index finger is on, so you're currently working in the 2nd position, transpose the piece up the neck to the 7th fret and look for problems there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The term "position" refers to the fret your index finger is on, so you're currently working in the 2nd position, transpose the piece up the neck to the 7th fret and look for problems there.

Everything works fine in the 7th, I could go on for days there.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Then you need to work out what about the move from the 7th to the 2nd changes. Try this:

Take the piece and starting at the 7ths fret play it through then move down a fret and play it through again, keep doing this until you find that you can't play it and figure out what about your technique is different between those two potisions.

Fix that

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

Bingo! That's where the problem is then. Your playing at a funny angle (probably your wrist) when you're down in the 2nd position.

Ok, question...so when you play it in the 7th position - your left (fretting) elbow is down by your side, right? And your arm goes in straight line towards the neck, and your wrist angle pretty much continues that line, right? When you play in the 2nd position, is your elbow still more less at your side, creating more of an angle on your forearm and wrist to reach? If so, try bringing your elbow out from your side, so that you have more of the same forearm/wrist angle that you have in the 7th position.

If this doesn't work, more investigation is needed. Play the lick in the 7th position, then the 6th, then the 5th and so on. THe whole time be looking out for where the discomfort starts, and how your angles are changing as this happens.

EDIT: @ZB: I was typing at the same time as you. Didn't mean to duplicate what you were saying.
Quote by se012101
EDIT: @ZB: I was typing at the same time as you. Didn't mean to duplicate what you were saying.

That's fine man, good advice duplicated is still good advice

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.