my friend had one of those, actually not a bad bass, very reliable! and for the value well it depends on how you paid for the kit.
im not a huge fan of them, but a few come out that are quite good, my Blood Angel friend
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I have one and its shit. Save your money and get something better.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
I'll give my two cents that I seem to give in every thread like this one.

I purchased a fretless bass for $139.99 on rondomusic a little less than a year ago. In my opinion, it plays better than at least 4 separate Fender MIM's that I played that cost around $500-550. They're good budget basses, but obviously you get what you pay for in most circumstances. They're probably comparable to the Squier starter pack, although I must admit I'm not too framiliar with it.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
I just bought myself one of the 5 string SX's a week ago, and I love it so far. Well put together, good setup and action, nice tone, and looks slick. For $175, I'd definitely buy another.
Quote by Lomu
If you want a good AV get something like Norton 360

Do you agree with that guy? That's why we have the Computer Thread. Use it.
I hate SX, litterally the worst basses I have ever played in my life. Do yourself a favor, save up $50 extra, and get a Squier Affinity bass. Atleast those have high quality necks.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
There good basses for the price. Ive found they dont come with a great set up when bought but it shouldnt take too long to fix that. Get it iff you can.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The basses themselves are quite good...ignore the naysayers. The numerous good Harmony Central reviews speak for themselves. The stuff in the pack maker looks ok, but their bass amp seems like it'd be better. I think you might be better off buying the amp separately. Acoustic is the best bang-for-the-buck in most places, as far as volume goes.

What do you think of your brother's? Did he get P-bass or a J-bass?

And out of curiosity, are you asking what we think of his, or if you should get one?
Nope, no sig here.
It may very well be a bit high. If it's like mine, it comes with two allen wrenches. One is for the truss rod, and the other is for the bridge. You should be able to fix the action for him using that, if you want. There's quite a few tutorials around UG.

As far as the tone goes, SX's are unparalleled in that price range. I saw a blind comparison a while back between an SX P-copy and a '79 MIA Fender P....same settings, amp, same strings, and a decent recording setup. Nobody could for sure tell which was which. There was a poll asking which sounded better, and when the basses were revealed 68% of them preferred the sound of the SX.
Nope, no sig here.
^
Quote by Mutant Corn
The basses themselves are quite good...ignore the naysayers. The numerous good Harmony Central reviews speak for themselves. The stuff in the pack maker looks ok, but their bass amp seems like it'd be better. I think you might be better off buying the amp separately. Acoustic is the best bang-for-the-buck in most places, as far as volume goes.

This. They're good basses for the money, and they at least rival, if not exceed MIM Fenders if you swap out the electronics and pickups.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
The pickups are fine, actually, unless you just don't like them. (read my post above)

Non-mini pots, a better jack, and proper shielding would definitely be good upgrades though.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Smartass
I just bought myself one of the 5 string SX's a week ago, and I love it so far. Well put together, good setup and action, nice tone, and looks slick. For $175, I'd definitely buy another.

out of curiosity which one did you buy
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
That's bloody gorgeous!

EDIT: I also support SX basses fully, I have one, and it's fantastic!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
The headstock looks weird in those pics...pretty bass though. I've always liked how jazzes look with pickup covers.
Nope, no sig here.
I think the searchbar would have been useful, there was a discussion on rondo a couple of weeks ago.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
The one thing I have never understood is the blind adoration of SX fans. Why do you guys like them? I honestly would MUCH prefer a tbird over an sx for playability. Their pickups and finish are unimpressive. The electronics rattle, are scratchy, and are very poorly done. The necks are by far the worst I have ever seen on an instrument, the sx "vintage tint" is another way of saying "tangerine orange" and the neck is extremely uncomfortable. Fret edges were like sawblades.

Quote by Mutant Corn
As far as the tone goes, SX's are unparalleled in that price range. I saw a blind comparison a while back between an SX P-copy and a '79 MIA Fender P....same settings, amp, same strings, and a decent recording setup. Nobody could for sure tell which was which. There was a poll asking which sounded better, and when the basses were revealed 68% of them preferred the sound of the SX.

I would like to know more about this comparison. What were the eq settings? Where was the comparison done? Were they tuned before the comparison was done? Who was the person who demo'd the basses, and did he demo both basses?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
That blind comparison seems interesting. Id also like to see it. I kinda like the Jaguar-style basses they have, but idk about quality too much.
Quote by Mutant Corn
The headstock looks weird in those pics...pretty bass though. I've always liked how jazzes look with pickup covers.

That's thanks to the auto-flash on my camera, unless you meant shape, in which case I'm picking my brain as to how it looks weird.
Quote by Lomu
If you want a good AV get something like Norton 360

Do you agree with that guy? That's why we have the Computer Thread. Use it.