Faster than USB, as Echoplex said. Not faster than PCI. However, can be plugged in hot and unplugged, like USB, but UNlike PCI. That makes for more convenience, and greater portability.

Speed in an interface will affect how many tracks you can run in and out of your interface at one time. You need a fast interface to be able to play back a stereo mix to a pair of monitors, two cue mixes going to a headphone amp, all while recording ten tracks of audio.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i see...
so can i connect my toneport through a firewire interface?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
It makes the signal travel faster. You get less latency.

The signal speed is not faster.

FW just has higher sustained speeds than usb.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by ugmung
i see...

No, it's a USB interface...even if it worked (which I doubt) it won't be able to take advantage of it. Get a Firewire one from the start IF you plan on more than two tracks at once. If not, there's nothing wrong with a working USB interface.

And +1: Firewire is faster for sustained speed, which is why it's great for recording multiple tracks at once.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Heres the story

USB 1.1 is slow, very slow....interfaces such as the Line6 Toneports use this connection along with other lower end interfaces. It's a good idea to stay away from USB 1.1 interfaces.

USB 2.0 interfaces are very fast, in fact they are a little faster than firewire. The drawback is that most are built to mix everything down to a single stereo track and so you cant tweak one mic while leaving the other alone in your sequencer.

I have yet to see a firewire interface that mixes down. This is great when tracking drums on something like a PreSonus FP10. You can add compression and EQ to each mic on its own without adjust the rest. This is a MUST HAVE when recording drums.

Dont pick an interface just on your budget. Get it on the amount of inputs, features, and connection type to the PC

Quote by ugmung
i see...

Nope, and you would not want to.
The toneport is an interface, so why run an interface though another interface with limited speed connection?

You only need one interface, unless you are dealing with firewire units such as the PreSonus FP10 in which case you can daisy chain up to 3 of those units and run it back though one firewire cable to the computer. This will give you a total of 24 inputs which will route to their own tracks in the sequencer.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 2, 2009,
well. the recording's i'm getting with my Toneport aren't exactly the best. i know it's because i can't mix and blah blah blah. so i'm going to need help on that too. i'm just trying to get the best recording as possible. the reason why i asked this is because i might be resorting to mic'ing up my amp. and since that's only one mic through one channel, i don't think i need a firewire interface.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.