Title says it all. I just got a Real Book and it has a C- chord. Is this supposed to be C minor?
No its just the chord name over the music score. I skimmed through the book and didn't see any minors so i figure t might mean minor
the title doesnt say it all...I mean a C I'm guessing is just a regular open chord C...C minor would by Cm
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by Metallica rulz
Oh a real book? opposed to fake books?

Yes, exactly.

Also, the "-" is a somewhat common way of writing "minor."
Last edited by Don Rickles at Jan 1, 2009,
different books have different notations for minor, major, augmented, diminished, etc. C- should be Cm. thats all i think i've seen that sign used for in notation.
Yes, C- is C minor. C+ is augmented and C* (not an asterisk, a degree sign...this is all I have) is diminished.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
A C- chord is a C diminished triad:

1-m3-b5
C-Eb-Gb
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by Sid McCall
Yes, C- is C minor. C+ is augmented and C* (not an asterisk, a degree sign...this is all I have) is diminished.
Okay thanks.
Isn't it just a C-5? I.e. the 5 is flat? That's how you say it in Swedish anyways, to not confuse the term with minor. Sometimes it says -5 but usually only -.
Just as McCall said, C- is just another way to notate Cm.
"And everybody knows that you live forever
Ah, when you've done a line or two"
Quote by Sid McCall

Ignore everyone else, Sid is right
yep its a C minor. When I was taking guitar lessons the teacher showed me a B minor as B-. Haha i freaked out the first time too, i was like what chord is that.
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
also, if my memory serves me correctly, a triangle is "major seventh" (or just major?)
Quote by seljer
also, if my memory serves me correctly, a triangle is "major seventh" (or just major?)

Yup, major 7th.
That symbol is also used as an easier way to notate Cminor7th.
12 fret fury
Quote by Guitar8000
Title says it all. I just got a Real Book and it has a C- chord. Is this supposed to be C minor?
C- is a common chart symbol for C minor. Using this notation, a C minor 7 would appear as C-7.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Anyone saying the - means diminished is incorrect. The - without question means minor. The diminished symbol is a little circle, and half diminished is a little circle with a line
Quote by seljer

nope, a triangle means dominant 7.
Quote by greekorican5

I am sure this is incorrect because when there is no marking it is a dominant 7th
Quote by greekorican5
Dominant seventh is just X7. XΔ or Xmaj7 or XM7 all mean major seventh.

To T/S
It's a minor seventh

EDIT: \\// Oops, just a mistake . It's a minor chord.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jan 2, 2009,
^ I'ma disagree with you there, and so does PTE. It's a minor triad, C-7 is a Cm7

Also, I think this thread shows exactly why you shouldn't use it in your notation :P:
Why don't you look at the other chords in the song + key signature and melody line to establish what chord it is? It's that easy.

Although I do agree that it's probably Cm.

The point I'm saying is that you can figure those things out by the other stuff that's going on musically. (Given it's a jazz realbook, chances are small it will be some random/non functiona/microchordal chord or whatever)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Why don't you look at the other chords in the song + key signature and melody line to establish what chord it is? It's that easy.

The point I'm saying is that you can figure those things out by the other stuff that's going on musically. (Given it's a jazz realbook, chances are small it will be some random/non functiona/microchordal chord or whatever)

I agree that things like the basic triad can be worked out from the rest of the music (and what it's being played over) but working out whether it also meant adding a seventh in or not would be difficult.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

alhotugh i agree thats probably the best method to do this (exercies your theory knowledge) there are some songs without keys in real books (and no there not in the key of C, check the song "Epistrophy")

Dominant seventh is just X7. XΔ or Xmaj7 or XM7 all mean major seventh. To T/S It's a minor seventh

also correct in most real books i do believe
Quote by greekorican5

Absolutely not. It means major seventh, a dominant seventh is always spelled with just a 7.
Quote by 12345abcd3
I agree that things like the basic triad can be worked out from the rest of the music (and what it's being played over) but working out whether it also meant adding a seventh in or not would be difficult.

No it wouldn't.

That's a relative, you either have;

Dm7 - G7 - CM7
or
Dm - G - CM

If you have..
..Dm7 - G - CM7..
..it just means it's a regular G.

Also in Jazz 7th's are used almost always, it's part of Jazz and all the other tones you add can be interchanged by chord substituons.

If you play Jazz, it's easy to tell in fashion if you can play a 7th over said chord or not.

Also If a melody line plays a C major triad(or plays a b3 on the first beat when the chord hits), it's save to assume it's not a Cm.

Unless it's a CmM7, but then it's probably written like that or like CM7- or C/\7- (triangle).

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??

Q: What's C-? Is it C minor?

(answer is already in question)

A: A million posts
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥