Page 1 of 11
Yes, yes, I have permission.

The point of this thread is to discuss:

The Big Bang
Abiogenesis
Evolution

These are the three main widely accepted scientific theories that deal with the origin of the Universe, Life, and Speciation respectively.

If you simply wish to have a discussion about a scientific topic in general, here would be a damn good place. Consider this the Pit's dedicated Scientific, Historic and Geographical thread.
Hopefully, we'll diversify topics a bit, so that many different topics of scientific, historical and geographical interest can be debated and discussed in a helpful and less aggressive environment.

ITT, the aim is to separate and clarify these theories, and to dispel confusion about what they actually mean. The number of times I've facepalmed when I've heard the words "It's just a theory", "Why are monkeys still around then, smartarse?", "White hole", "You can't get something from nothing" "Carbon dating doesn't work", etc. is staggering.

Hopefully, people's questions will be mostly answered by the introductory FAQs that I will hopefully soon post, but in the event that people have trouble with a specific aspect with one or more of these theories, then hopefully, their questions can be answered by the regulars.

Having said that, please take note of what is NOT to be discussed in this thread:

Young Earth Creationism/Intelligent Design

- If you believe (a) God(s) created the world/life/universe as described by YOUR religion, then do not argue the issue here!

Those are religion based theories, and as such have no place in a scientific thread. Religious questions will be answered in the religion and philosophy thread found here. Those theories, apart from their relevant holy books, have NO evidence, and until they do, they will not be treated as scientific theories. That title is reserved for a specific kind of hypothesis that will be defined a bit later on.

Talk about Science!
Evolution FAQ

Go here to view an excellent introduction to the theory of Evolution by freedoms_stain. I'd have pasted the text here, but so detailed and informative is the text that it's total character count is almost double that allowed for a post.

Useful Links
  • Evolution - Wiki Article
  • The talkorigins.org group - An excellent array of scientific, peer-reviewed articles that explore various aspects of Evolution, Abiogenesis and the Big Bang theory, as well as other articles on cosmology, biology, meteorology and geography, plus several other related subjects that deal with scientific explanations of origins of various phenomena.
Last edited by LordBishek at Jan 2, 2009,
Reserved - The Big Bang

Useful Links
  • Big Bang - Wiki Article
  • This is an excellent FAQ on Cosmology in general, and deals with many of the more common questions pertaining to Big Bang Theory
Last edited by LordBishek at Jan 4, 2009,
Bookmarked.

This could turn out to be fun I'll definitely be staying updated.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Reserved for Evolution- I'll have it ready in 20

Edit: mmmkay well basicly, Evolution= Changes in trait or gene frequency in a population of organisms from one generation to the next. Evolution is a fact in the sense of it being overwhemingly validated by evidence. From a scientific view, the argument is details, I.E. the history of living things, which is a puzzle pieced together through fossil evidence.

More to be written later
Last edited by mattrod at Jan 1, 2009,
can someone summarise Abiogenesis it rings a bell I'm sure I've learnt it I just can't seem to recall what it encompasses
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Yaaay!

*Looks in bookmark folder*
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Reserved.

I'll write a bit based on the cosmological side of the Universe's origin, and maybe throw a smattering of trivia in to boot. It'll be good revision for my January exams!

EDIT: Ahh, bumholes, I'm after Kensai. Whenever I go to a party I get sat next to the muppet

\/ EDIT2: Opinion's for people who don't know anything about the subject in hand
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Last edited by Yakult at Jan 1, 2009,
there all fake

/one point of view!

They all happened
/the other point of view

I think that covers me for this thread.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by druz15_UG
can someone summarise Abiogenesis it rings a bell I'm sure I've learnt it I just can't seem to recall what it encompasses

Abiogenesis is the theory that life formed naturally from organic molecules. Keep an eye on the FAQ, I'll post a wiki link shortly.
i would like to know the orgin of the universe
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Im not sure if this question is broad enough to get answered in your FAQ and so will ask directly. Ive recently read "A brief history of the universe", and although it was difficult to get through in some parts I eventually had a general undrstanding of most concepts. However, the one issue that stood out for me was the theory of black holes and their creation. If I am correct the theory of their creation is that once a certain type of star comes to its lifes end it then expands before contracting in on itself into a "zero space". This is where the confusion starts. For one, how can anything contract into nothing, and further, how does this contraction into nothing create a black hole? I am aware that the book is now quite old, but am quite confident that the general theory is the same.
Just hoping you can enlighten me.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
Quote by LordBishek
Abiogenesis is the theory that life formed naturally from organic molecules. Keep an eye on the FAQ, I'll post a wiki link shortly.

Ah it wasn't what I thought I'll have to wiki it
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by LordBishek
Big Bang theory?

no, HOW it happened, the orgin of energy, electrons, protons, neutrons, other molecules. I know the big bang theory, it dosen't state the orgin of any matter.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Thank you Bishek, and Carmel for allowing this. This thread is going to be very good.

I'll post some stuff human and primate evolution specifically soon.

Quote by CG Man16
no, HOW it happened, the orgin of energy, electrons, protons, neutrons, other molecules. I know the big bang theory, it dosen't state the orgin of any matter.

No one knows for sure. That can be discussed in the philosophy thread, probably.
Quote by Malakian=God
Im not sure if this question is broad enough to get answered in your FAQ and so will ask directly. Ive recently read "A brief history of the universe", and although it was difficult to get through in some parts I eventually had a general undrstanding of most concepts. However, the one issue that stood out for me was the theory of black holes and their creation. If I am correct the theory of their creation is that once a certain type of star comes to its lifes end it then expands before contracting in on itself into a "zero space". This is where the confusion starts. For one, how can anything contract into nothing, and further, how does this contraction into nothing create a black hole? I am aware that the book is now quite old, but am quite confident that the general theory is the same.
Just hoping you can enlighten me.

black holes are just incredibley dense peices of matter. It's not really a "hole" but a LOT of mass that is packed in very small area. This bends space and creates the crushing gravity of the hole. It's started when a very large star collapses and it's mass is concentrated on a single point.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Quote by Malakian=God
For one, how can anything contract into nothing, and further, how does this contraction into nothing create a black hole?

In brief (before I have time to write something more full above tomorrow):

Take our planet and imagine the forces, very simplified, acting on it's surface. You've got gravity pulling it in towards the core (its center of mass), and an electrostatic force (plus the generated energy at the core) pushing out. These forces are equal and so the Earth's size is in equilibrium.

Now, imagine the Earth was so dense that the force of gravity pulling inwards was much greater that the force pushing out. This'd result in the Earth being crushed to nothing. There's a little more to it than that, but that's kind of it in a nutshell.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by CG Man16

On the contrary, it states how energy formed itself into the myriad forms that we experience today: First Quark-Gluon plasma, and then later on, Hadrons and leptons.
I think the one thing not accurately understood is where the energy came from, because it's a highly abstract concept- Time was created AT the big bang, and did not exist before it. Therefore, it makes little sense to describe energy as existing "before" the Big bang. It's a difficult concept to get your head around, even for such geniuses as are working in the field professionally today.

Basically, I'm not sure how well I can answer your question, since my understanding of big bang theory is still a long way off from being satisfactory. I'll do some reading, and hopefully someone with a bit more expertise than me can help you out.
Quote by CG Man16

Well the Big Band theory is believed to be what created everything in this universe. I guess that would include Energy, Electrons, Etc.

has no signature.
Quote by 11223344554433
Well the Big Band theory is believed to be what created everything in this universe. I guess that would include Energy, Electrons, Etc.

It doesn't quite say that the Big Bang CREATED everything so much that it was a singularity (which contained everything in an infinitely small mass) and that the singularity rapidly expanded, causing the universe.

Quote by alkaline3trio
Religion and science are no more provable than eachother, imo.

Your opinion is fantastic.

Science = evidence that you can see

Religion = no evidence.

Regardless, that's the not the point here.
Quote by boreamor
Right, so I understand. Can we discuss the origins of the Big Bang like the String Theorys Theory on it?

I'm not familiar with the string theory, but from what I here from others, it's not the best explanation.

Idk, though. Discuss away, though. I love hearing about new theories
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by SeveralSpecies
It doesn't quite say that the Big Bang CREATED everything so much that it was a singularity (which contained everything in an infinitely small mass) and that the singularity rapidly expanded, causing the universe.

Your opinion is fantastic.

Science = evidence that you can see

Religion = no evidence.

Regardless, that's the not the point here.

that is my understanding of the big bang, i thought it didn't adress creation, but stated it already existed at a singularity and expands
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Quote by alkaline3trio
Religion and science are no more provable than eachother, imo.

I beg to differ, but here is not the place to discuss it. If you wish, we can discuss it in the Religion thread, but until then, I'm only allowed to make this thread if a strict control on topic is exercised. If not, I'll have to start reporting people, which I really don't want, and You don't want either.

Quote by boreamor
Right, so I understand. Can we discuss the origins of the Big Bang like the String Theorys Theory on it?

By all means
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I'm not familiar with the string theory, but from what I here from others, it's not the best explanation.

Idk, though.

It was an example. It's one of the very few I've heard. Just clarifying
Quote by boreamor
It was an example. It's one of the very few I've heard. Just clarifying

Ah.

Well it certainly falls into the topic of the thread, so discuss away.
Quote by LordBishek
On the contrary, it states how energy formed itself into the myriad forms that we experience today: First Quark-Gluon plasma, and then later on, Hadrons and leptons.
I think the one thing not accurately understood is where the energy came from, because it's a highly abstract concept- Time was created AT the big bang, and did not exist before it. Therefore, it makes little sense to describe energy as existing "before" the Big bang. It's a difficult concept to get your head around, even for such geniuses as are working in the field professionally today.

Basically, I'm not sure how well I can answer your question, since my understanding of big bang theory is still a long way off from being satisfactory. I'll do some reading, and hopefully someone with a bit more expertise than me can help you out.

Plus there's that bloody riddle of why there was slightly more matter than antimatter initially. It doesn't make sense!

Quote by CG Man16
that is my understanding of the big bang, i thought it didn't adress creation, but stated it already existed at a singularity and expands

There's no reason why the "big bang theory" and the Bible can't fit together. Why couldn't God have just put the first two evolved humans into the Garden of Eden? Fair enough it says he created it all in seven days, but then again God's infinitely old so a cheeky few billion years probably would seem like seven days to him.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Last edited by Yakult at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by Yakult
Plus there's that bloody riddle of why there was slightly more matter than antimatter initially. It doesn't make sense!

I. ****ing. Hate. Physics.

Biology ftw!

Quote by Yakult

Dumb luck?

Tell me, is Antimatter stable?

I mean, given an atom of antimatter free from any external influences, is there any reason at all it would be unstable?
I just borrowed a Dr. Karl Kruszelnicki book called Science is Golden. I haven't read it yet, but I know it deals with lots of awesome stuff like the LHC and Black Holes and stuff.

Also can someone explain to me what Dark Matter/Energy is. I tried Wikipedia but it failed me.

has no signature.
one of the random things that once popped into my head: when in the evolutionary tree did duality start, that is -> two arms, two legs, two lungs, two eyes, etc.... ?

Quote by 11223344554433
I just borrowed a Dr. Karl Kruszelnicki book called Science is Golden. I haven't read it yet, but I know it deals with lots of awesome stuff like the LHC and Black Holes and stuff.

Also can someone explain to me what Dark Matter/Energy is. I tried Wikipedia but it failed me.

stuff that appears to be there so gravity makes sense....otherwise we've got no idea what its made out of
Last edited by seljer at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by Yakult

There's no reason why the "big bang theory" and the Bible can't fit together. Why couldn't God have just put the first two evolved humans into the Garden of Eden? Fair enough it says he created it all in seven days, but then again God's infinitely old so a cheeky few billion years probably would seem like seven days to him.

again, my understanding, but i was just wanting to hear a scientific explanation for the very, very begining.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Quote by CG Man16
again, my understanding, but i was just wanting to hear a scientific explanation for the very, very begining.

There is no scientific explanation if what caused the big bang or what was before it, since we have no evidence of anything before it. We simply don't know.
Quote by LordBishek
Dumb luck?

Tell me, is Antimatter stable?

I mean, given an atom of antimatter free from any external influences, is there any reason at all it would be unstable?

Antimatter's as stable as regular matter, but get it anywhere near any of our universe's regular matter and it'll go up in a poof of gamma rays.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Heh, made me LOL:

P H Y S I C A L T H E O R I E S
A S W O M E N .

BY SIMON DEDEO

- - - -

0. Newtonian gravity is your high-school girlfriend. As your first encounter with physics, she's amazing. You will never forget Newtonian gravity, even if you're not in touch very much anymore.

1. Electrodynamics is your college girlfriend. Pretty complex, you probably won't date long enough to really understand her.

2. Special relativity is the girl you meet at the dorm party while you're dating electrodynamics. You make out. It's not really cheating because it's not like you call her back. But you have a sneaking suspicion she knows electrodynamics and told her everything.

3. Quantum mechanics is the girl you meet at the poetry reading. Everyone thinks she's really interesting and people you don't know are obsessed about her. You go out. It turns out that she's pretty complicated and has some issues. Later, after you've broken up, you wonder if her aura of mystery is actually just confusion.

4. General relativity is your high-school girlfriend all grown up. Man, she is amazing. You sort of regret not keeping in touch. She hates quantum mechanics for obscure reasons.

5. Quantum field theory is from overseas, but she doesn't really have an accent. You fall deeply in love, but she treats you horribly. You are pretty sure she's fooling around with half of your friends, but you don't care. You know it will end badly.

6. Cosmology is the girl that doesn't really date, but has lots of hot friends. Some people date cosmology just to hang out with her friends.

7. Analytical classical mechanics is a bit older, and knows stuff you don't.

8. String theory is off in her own little world. She is either profound or insane. If you start dating, you never see your friends anymore. It's just string theory, 24/7.
In my opinion, wherever we come from it doesn't matter, we are here now so we might as well enjoy it
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.