What is the meaning of phrasing?

from what i heard, i think its soloing over a chord progression creating whatever sound or expression you want

but im probally wrong
phrasing is how you make a note sound. For example, you do it with your voice when you talk. You can tell if someone is being sarcastic, or sad, or scared, or asking a question by the way they phrase their voice.

It's the little tiny details and finger movements you put into the notes you play to make them sound the way you want them to. kinda hard to explain, that's the best i can do.
It means soloing like the way you would talk. Obviously no one talks in straight eighth notes nonstop, there has to be rests and different variations in the rhythm.
Phrasing is more to do with how you play something, rather than what you are playing.

Probably the easiest way I can think to explain this is take your minor pentatonic scale (hopefully you know this).
Now play through that scale with each note played for the same length of time i.e. if you are playing with a metronome play 1 note per click.
Then play the same thing, but pause on some notes for 2 or 3 clicks (or more) and play a run of a few notes at say 2 notes per click.

Essentially you are playing the same thing, but it sounds different because of the different phrasing

If you don't know your pentatonic scale it looks like this in position 1:-

5 - - 8 (1st string)
5 - - 8
5 - 7
5 - 7
5 - 7
5 - - 8 (6th string)

Hope that helps
When you talk, your speech is divided in phrases, by dots, commas and different punctuation.

Now, apply that to soloing. When you are improvising don't just throw notes all over the place, "phrase" them into a sweet melody.

:EDIT: I'm a very bad teacher, I hope my explanation was clear.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
there was an excellent thread on here where someone put it in probably the best explanation ever, I'll see if i can't find it

*searches*

Edit: I give in, it's on here somewhere though......
Last edited by AbombO.S. at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by Svennz
When you talk, your speech is divided in phrases, by dots, commas and different punctuation.

Now, apply that to soloing. When you are improvising don't just throw notes all over the place, "phrase" them into a sweet melody.

:EDIT: I'm a very bad teacher, I hope my explanation was clear.

that was good explanation so like instead of shredding the harmonic minor scale up and down, mix it up with differnt timings and techniques to get the melody you want like malmsteen and marty friedman does, and NOT like dragonforce lol
Last edited by 2mins2midnite at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by 2mins2midnite
that was good explanation so like instead of shredding the harmonic minor scale up and down, mix it up with differnt timings and techniques to get the melody you want like malmsteen and marty friedman does, and NOT like dragonforce lol

there ya go
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
there ya go

that means i been doing that for a while without knowing the word for it haha
Phrasing = playing phrases

Learn what phrases are. Be able to recognize them when you hear them in music. Then you'll know what phrasing is. It's a bit more specific then "how you play the notes", or "playing like you talk". (those things aren't exactly wrong, but they don't define phrasing).
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 1, 2009,
At the end of Steve Vai's 10 hr workout, he discusses a process where he will speak a sentence, then experiment with different ways of mimicing that sentence on the guitar. That always struck me as an awesome way to work on phrasing.