Okay so for Christmas I got a Boss FV-50 volume switch. It works like a charm, but a weird thing is that the sound has improved, but espcially the clean channel. I use it through the effects loop on a Randall RG50-TC.

I know I should not complain, but I just wonder how a volume pedal can improve the sound??
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
great question

i honestly have no idea
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well do you believe me then? Because it sounds so ****ing weird
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
What is it that has changed about the tone?

I may be wrong, but I think in some amps, the FX loop goes between the pre and power amp. With nothing connected, the signal takes an alternate route. However, by connecting the pedal through the effects loop, the signal is able (for some reason) to take a path with less loss of tone. This could be due to the fact that the signal gets a bit more boost before going through the loop.

I don't know if any of that is true. It's a guess.

What if you just take a cable and connect the FX loop send and return? Does the sound improve in the same way?
Quote by sashki

I may be wrong, but I think in some amps, the FX loop goes between the pre and power amp. With nothing connected, the signal takes an alternate route. However, by connecting the pedal through the effects loop, the signal is able (for some reason) to take a path with less loss of tone. This could be due to the fact that the signal gets a bit more boost before going through the loop.

What if you just take a cable and connect the FX loop send and return? Does the sound improve in the same way?

Oh yeah, the Valveking does something like that... I forgot about it.

Enjoy the improved tone
What do you mean by improve the tone? Loss of highs? Loss of lows? More 'defined'? It may be possible that your ears think that a loss of tone is improving the sound, which is fine. Maybe it reduces the treble a tiny bit.

Try plugging your guitar straight into your amp and turning the volume on your guitar down a tiny bit. Same effect? It's probably because the pedal isn't true bypass - at least, I don't think it is.
Quote by sashki

Well the clean channel sounds a lot more 'fuller' and 'clearer' somehow.. kinda hard to explain.

I have the amp at a buddy's house, but I'll try it someday.

And what you are saying makes totally sense
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube