I bought my Engl tube amp second hand, i have been told apparently that time to time you have to change the tubes? If so how often? Or how can i tell they need changing? Thanks.
when you cant play on it anymore..it becomes a withering wreck to play..sounds ****..
ive seen amps with 20yr old tubes..
mine has just been changed after 3 years, so just play and if it sounds really ****..change them all..

for the sake of it, just get some new ones now..and change when they sound abruptly different.
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Once it starts making popping and banging noises, the sound becomes weaker and the "on" light periodically dims and brightens, then it's definitely time to replace them. This will come eventually, but it depends on how you use it.
When turning it off, put it on standby first, wait 2 minutes, then turn it off completely. That helps preserve tube life.

If you want to be a tone-freak, replace them every 2-3 years. But in the long run, it's unnecessary to replace them if it works fine and sounds good.
how often the tubes need to be changed depends on how much they are used, how much they are pushed etc.
So if you are tearing it up daily with your amp fully cranked you'll need new tubes sooner than if you were playing softly at home for practice
theres a thread with everything you need to know about tubes. but basically, tubes can go microphonic after awhile yet all tubes are some what microphonic. a power tube will rattle when becoming microphonic and a preamp tube will squeal when becoming microphonic. you should check your tubes at least once every year. in sudden lost of bottom end, shrill high end, or volume swell problems, check your tubes.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
cheers guys Are tubes expensive? Are they easier to replace?

depending on what amp you have they can be easy.
mesa's are some of the best on tube swapping, and i'm sure the engl is great. and tubes usually run 46 bucks a pair for power tubes and 15 bucks a piece for preamp tubes.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join