So for Christmas, I got a new amp. A Fender Champion 300. The thing is, though, my un-guitar-knowledgeable father got it for me, because the guys at the local music store were raving about. (Hey, I probably would've got it too from what my dad said they were saying about it)

But anyways, after about a week of playing on it, I've noticed that every so often I'll be playing and sound will just stop coming out of the amp for normally less than a second, then start again.

So my question, did I get ripped off? I did some research on the amp and found very few negative reviews. Does UG think it's a good amp, or no? And, if I return it, they'll still accpet it back, right? It's only been a week...

Thanks for the help guys
Strats & Seagulls
from what i've heard, fender makes **** amps. well... i've heard that they're good for clean tones but not for any kind of distortion. idk, i've never played one. you should take it to where u got it and have them check it out
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Sorry i can't be specific, but its a good rule of thumb to ask for money for an amp so you can buy an amp you KNOW is going to be good.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by jimivancobain
from what i've heard, fender makes **** amps.

are you insane?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
from what i've heard, fender makes **** amps

XD

I would prefer a Super Champ XD, but it's ok
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Last edited by Exo M7 at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by jimivancobain
from what i've heard, fender makes **** amps. well... i've heard that they're good for clean tones but not for any kind of distortion. idk, i've never played one. you should take it to where u got it and have them check it out

I like the amp a lot. I think it has great tone. The only thing I'm wondering is if the place ripped me off when it came to quality, not sound.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by jimivancobain

Why give advice when you don't know what your talking about?
Sweet.
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
Yessir

in the reviews there i think you didnt get ripped off
BTW how much did your dad pay for it??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
in the reviews there i think you didnt get ripped off
BTW how much did your dad pay for it??

They were selling it for $200 but he ended up getting it for $160 I believe.
Strats & Seagulls
It might have just been a lemon.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
They were selling it for $200 but he ended up getting it for $160 I believe.

i think thats a good buy but your dad could have gotten you a vypyr its much better
or worse your dad could have gotten you a raven or a spider III
feel free to add me
are you sure its not just something with your guitar thats doing it, i had a similar problem once, and it was just my pickup selector.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by darkarbiter7
It might have just been a lemon.

I was thinking that. So you think I should return it?

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i think thats a good buy but your dad could have gotten you a vypyr its much better
or worse your dad could have gotten you a raven or a spider III

Yeah, true. I should count my blessings.

So what do you suppose I should do? Return this one and see if I could get a new one of the same model?

EDIT: The guitar and cable are also fairly new to the two posters above me, so I'm not quite sure.
Strats & Seagulls
Test them anyway. A cutout could also be the input jack having a bad solder joint or the volume pot on the amp not being soldered right. Try the cable and guitar first. If that isn't it, take it back and exchange it.
Quote by CJRocker
Test them anyway. A cutout could also be the input jack having a bad solder joint or the volume pot on the amp not being soldered right. Try the cable and guitar first. If that isn't it, take it back and exchange it.

Alright, I'll try that. Only thing is I was going to plug into my old amp, but it just died. So I'll have to try it on my buddies sometime tomorrow.
Strats & Seagulls
Sounds to me like its just a bad cable or a bad connection somewhere in the guitar or amp - it should be a relatively easy fix if that is in fact the problem.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Sounds to me like its just a bad cable or a bad connection somewhere in the guitar or amp - it should be a relatively easy fix if that is in fact the problem.

What would you suggest I try? I just got the cable last week so...
Strats & Seagulls
I just skim read HC reviews on it but it seems like maybe there's an input jack problem with your amp. Nothing too threatening.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
I just skim read HC reviews on it but it seems like maybe there's an input jack problem with your amp. Nothing too threatening.

So... Um... What do I do?
Strats & Seagulls
sounds like you need a new guitar cable to me

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
So... Um... What do I do?

Maybe replace input jack? Should be fairly easy if you know what you're doing. I think you just screw it out, maybe resolder the wires to new jack, just match + to +, ground to ground , but I could be completely wrong.

edit: check out guitar and cables first
Quote by jarudy
Maybe replace input jack? Should be fairly easy if you know what you're doing. I think you just screw it out, maybe resolder the wires to new jack, just match + to +, ground to ground , but I could be completely wrong.

edit: check out guitar and cables first

I'm pretty bad with the stuff that involves tools...
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
I'm pretty bad with the stuff that involves tools...

then let your GC fix em
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
then let your GC fix em

I don't have a Guitar Center D= Would my local store fix them you think?
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
I don't have a Guitar Center D= Would my local store fix them you think?

if they repair guitars then they will most likely repair amps as well
so i think yea the prolly fix it
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
if they repair guitars then they will most likely repair amps as well
so i think yea the prolly fix it

Aiight cool
Strats & Seagulls
Well the easiest thing to do first is just take the cover off your guitar (I'm assuming its rear mounted, so you would unscrew the little plastic plate on the back of the guitar) and make sure that there are no loose/disconnected wires.

Then, if you are comfortable doing this yourself open up your amp and make sure all of the jacks and pots still have good connections.

If you can pin point the source of the problem it will make it a lot easier for a tech to fix (not to mention it will cost less - saving them the trouble of diagnosing will mean that they can get the job done faster... and techs normally charge by the hour).
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well the easiest thing to do first is just take the cover off your guitar (I'm assuming its rear mounted, so you would unscrew the little plastic plate on the back of the guitar) and make sure that there are no loose/disconnected wires.

Then, if you are comfortable doing this yourself open up your amp and make sure all of the jacks and pots still have good connections.

If you can pin point the source of the problem it will make it a lot easier for a tech to fix (not to mention it will cost less - saving them the trouble of diagnosing will mean that they can get the job done faster... and techs normally charge by the hour).

lol wut?

But seriously, yeah, I'll try that, at least take off the back and poke around a bit, see if anything is blatantly obvious that it's screwed up.
Strats & Seagulls