Quote by forsaknazrael
Depends on which amps. Cheap amps are cheap amps, period.

+1

i think the problem is that most SS amps that we see being sold are low end amps. i'm sure that a hughes and ketner (sp?) solid state amp will last you a long time
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by alex0203
Won't don't SS amps last as long as tube amps?

People are still using Ampegs from the 70's/80's that have been used heavily, and tube amps from the 50's that haven't had a single tube replacement.

As already said, it depends on the quality at which it was produced, how it was used/handled, if owners were careful or not.
i have owned 2 SS amps in my life, and 2 tube amps.
both tube amps are plagued with problems, and both SS amps never gave me a single problem.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by alex0203

I don't think it is necessarily true. Besides the other points mentioned (quality and care)...

1. There are many more SS amps in general use than tube, so the odds of hearing about an SS amp failing are greater.

2. Repair cost vs. amp value is the big factor. Sink a hundred or more into an SS repair...you're crazy! Drop a few hundred repairing a high-dollar tube amp...you're smart!

3. Stigma. When an SS amp fails, you "throw the piece of **** out", when a tube amp fails you "take your baby in for some help".
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by chea_man
i have owned 2 SS amps in my life, and 2 tube amps.
both tube amps are plagued with problems, and both SS amps never gave me a single problem.

O.O your hrd has had problems? *looks around in fear*
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by randomhero93
cuz once somethin breaks in an ss amp, it's dead. the tubes can be replaced

Not true.

Usually when something breaks in an SS amp, it can be fixed, it's just basically impossible to do so.

In tube amps, the circuitry is much simpler and problems can usually be addressed and corrected easily.

Just because a tube amp has tubes, doesn't mean those are the only things that can fail in the amp.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
So, judging by the answers in this thread (aka YOUR answers in this thread), would you recommed buying a amp like a VOX Valvetronix that is a hybrid of both SS and tube?
Quote by alex0203
So, judging by the answers in this thread (aka YOUR answers in this thread), would you recommed buying a amp like a VOX Valvetronix that is a hybrid of both SS and tube?

the vox valvetronix's are supposedly really good amps,

but what do you want an amp for and why? wats your budget? the peavey vypyr, all SS, is a pretty amazing intermediate modeling amp
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I would reccomend that amp, but not because it is a hybrid, hybrid doesn't make it immune to the fails of tubes or the fails of ss. Its just got its own set of fails.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by bored_maniac33
O.O your hrd has had problems? *looks around in fear*

my HRD has had more problems than anything ive ever seen.
i have found many many many many many many flaws in the amp that make it very unreliable if you gig often.
but if you were to fix these problems, you would void the warranty. and thats very bad, because you will need the warranty.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
There are some good SS amps but they arent going to be had at economical prices. There are some old early SS stuff still running around. Kustom was known for their SS amps. The newer stuff is all made for high profit margins at low prices which means cost saving is a big issue. Which translates to cutting corners, cheap parts etc. If you use good parts and assembly procedures then you can have a good SS amp but it would be much higher in price than spiders, MGs etc.
I have a 30+ year old Kustom 200 amp. It's been gigged as a guitar amp, PA amp, bass and piano amp. No trouble at all. I keep it because it sounds the most like a tube amp of any SS that I have heard. My friend has a Deluxe Reverb, of the same vintage, that has been gigged too. It has been used for vocals and guitar. Both amps have served faithfully for over 30 years without failures. A jack has been replaced in my Kustom and a pot has been replaced in the Fender. That's a pretty good history in my book. I think that reliablity is more related to quality of the build then the type of circuit.
Honestly a SS amp is usually alot more durable then a Tube amp. I've seen them dropped down stairs, fallen out of moving vehicles and kicked off stacks only to be still alive and kicking. Also theres a ton of older Randalls, Marshalls and Ampegs out there still in use.

And the whole you can fix an SS is pretty much a myth. I fix them on a routine basis and they are actually quite easy to fix. A resistor, cap or transistor failing in a SS is the same as a tube amp. They even have the same method of replacement. The only difference is the tube amps has tubes and a bit more to it as for as whats what. In all Honesty I would rather fix a SS then a tube amp because I dont have to deal with multiple pcb boards, riveted in power sections and seprate transformers. I can get in and get out quicker with and ss.

Now here is the real reason they say a SS amps cant be fixed. Most of the ones to grace my presence are cheap, plain and simple. Say you have a SS amp that you purchased for $400 bucks and used there going for $200. My services to fix the amp usually run from $120+ thats two hours of repair time with diagnostics included. Then you have the part itself which can be $5-$50 bucks. So a quick two hour job and a $50 part is gonna run you $170+ bucks. At that point you just as soon buy another amp becuase you can get a used one for $200 bucks. Now take that same $170 but its now a $1300 tube amp and used your still looking at $700 plus a tube replacement. Its simply more cost effective to repair a tube amp vs a cheap SS amp. Now that said if you bring in a $1300 SS amp then yea a $170 bucks is very cost effective. So what happens is people tend to take that info and twist it into SS amps are to hard to fix or they cant be fixed and so on. Which is farthest from the truth.

Now the one amp that is a true pain and you just as soon chalk up to the amp gods is a modeller. Anything with a modelling chip is going to be near impossible to figure out, fix and its way too expensive to repair if the chip is the culprit. That one is almost always a send to manufactur to repair if its something with the chip itself.
Quote by chea_man
my HRD has had more problems than anything ive ever seen.
i have found many many many many many many flaws in the amp that make it very unreliable if you gig often.
but if you were to fix these problems, you would void the warranty. and thats very bad, because you will need the warranty.

Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Just to point out the irony, at the time of this post there are two threads on the first page of this forum featuring two different tube amps that crapped out on their owners, and both seem to be fairly recent purchases like within a few months. I hate to see anyone's gear give them problems cuz I know it sucks, but this sure nails down the fact that anything can fail at any time...tubes or not.

BTW good points IbanezPsycho, I've done some SS repair work myself in the past, and it's usually a stupid little part that takes a couple bucks and a couple minutes to fix, but can take hours to troubleshoot.
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by alex0203

It ISN'T true.

The amp with the lowest failure rate is a Roland JC-120, and guess what---

It isn't a tube amp.
I've got a Crate GX-15 SS amp that's at least ten years old. Haven't had a single problem with it, and it's my #1 practice amp. Plus my dad got it used...
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Yeah I don't know where you heard that SS don't last as long as tube.

SS amps if treated properly will generally last forever. I suppose tube amps will last forever too, except that they need maintenance to keep functional (new tubes and what have you).

Still if an SS amp breaks, it's generally impossible, or incredibly expensive to have repaired. While tube amps are generally cheaper and much easier to repair.
Quote by SwamperGene
Just to point out the irony, at the time of this post there are two threads on the first page of this forum featuring two different tube amps that crapped out on their owners, and both seem to be fairly recent purchases like within a few months. I hate to see anyone's gear give them problems cuz I know it sucks, but this sure nails down the fact that anything can fail at any time...tubes or not.

BTW good points IbanezPsycho, I've done some SS repair work myself in the past, and it's usually a stupid little part that takes a couple bucks and a couple minutes to fix, but can take hours to troubleshoot.

Yup, usually as long as someone doesn't mess with it after the fact then its a simple fix. Most of the bigger issues is when they know something popped. And they decide they want to be mister fix it to leave it on and try to figure it out by turning knobs (why people think turning knobs is a way to fix something that popped is beyond me but it happens). Or the ole well the fused popped let me throw in a slow blow 10 times bigger then recommended. Then they blow the pcb board. But that doesn't happen to often usually I just have to replace stuff like capacitors, pots or inputs and there up and running. And you are correct trouble shooting can be a pain and half the time just the diagnostic costs more then fixing the issue.
Quote by Mr.Camo
Oh hello, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

It usually falls into the hands of the build, manufacturing and how well the owner takes care of it.

STILL... the lowest failure rate is a SS amp. Does that mean it sounds the part? NOPE, not necessarily.

The idea of SS vs Tube is ridiculous IMO.

They're ALL tools. Just use the right tool for the job.

End rant
Quote by Mr.Camo
Oh hello, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

It usually falls into the hands of the build, manufacturing and how well the owner takes care of it.

I'll watch your thrown amp video and raise you my all time favorite thrown pedal video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QL-6eTHSHQ

Just goes to show ya, even one of the crappiest made pedals on the planet has the possibility to go through hell and still survive. Its usually just luck of the draw be it SS or Tube
lol the pedal clip wins just on the background commentary
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah