Well, I recently rejoined my old band, who has since added a decent drummer to their ranks. I was the former lead guitarist, but part of my terms on rejoining the band was that I would be the rhythm guitarist. Here's the problem, however, and it has been a mainstay throughout the time that the band was formed. My co-guitarist, who has recently taken on lead as I have mentioned, has the most awful rhythm that I have heard. Every musician that I've ever played with has had better rhythm than him. He's been playing guitar for about 4 years, and his apparent claim of "I know how to play <insert song here>" is usually as follows:

Him: "Hey, man. I learned how to play Cherry Pie this weekend."
Me: "Oh, really? Let me hear it."
Him: *plays main riff completely off tempo, varying between fast triplets and slow strings of notes* "Good, right?"
Me: "Yeah... but you're not on time with it."
Him: "Hey, !@$& you!"
Me: "..."

So yeah, he can't keep time. I know some people have to learn to keep time, but I would think that at this point he would be able to. I was given a natural gift of rhythm, thankfully, but he seems to think that just because he's a lead guitarist, he doesn't have to be able to keep time, which is terribly incorrect. This fact is what has been keeping the group from even attempting cover songs, because he can't keep time with anyone else's music. He's written a few 'riffs', which are basically just three power chords, aside from one decent-sounding one that I actually like a little.

Sorry for the huge block of text, but hopefully it didn't scare you off. My question is, how can I make him fully comprehend that he can't keep time, and what can I do to solve the problem, or at least get him to solve the problem?
Punch him in the face.

put lighter fluid on him and his guitar

then set him and his guitar on fire obviously.
give him a metronome, and say "use it"
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
talk with your other bandmates, and threaten to kick him out if he doesn't learn how to keep time. also mention that hes going to make you sound like crap if he cant play in time
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
record him playing and have him listen to himself suck
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by dk2
Make him play with a metronome?

+1 win.
Punch him in the face and make him if he has to.
/thread
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
It's better to have a lead guitarist that can't keep time than a rythem, but it's still important no matter what you play. Talk to the other band members and get them to back you up the next time you confront him about how he can't keep time.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
I had the same problem with a previous project I worked on.

I made the song on Guitar Pro (Power Tab would be the free solution) and forced my guitarist to play along with it.

He's still a jackass about it. But at least he knows better now.
I've definitely considered buying him a metronome, and I might buy it for him as a "gift" the next time I get the opportunity. I've brought up the thought of kicking him out to the vocalist before if he didn't get himself in line, but not long after that there was a large falling out in which myself and the bassist quit the band, due to conflicting ideas on goals for the band, and also the fact that the other guitarist couldn't play for crap.

However, the vocalist always seems to agree with me in private, but doesn't want to kick the guy out because he seems to be the only person "dedicated" to the same cause he is (read as: doesn't care about school in the least, just wants to risk their entire life on making a band that will get out of rinky-dink hillbilly land and get a record deal, which I seriously doubt). Also, an apparent attack that keeps being brought up due to this is that I/said bassist are backstabbers who don't want this guy in the band because we don't like him. Not true: we just don't want anyone who can't play their instrument correctly!

It's a bunch of girly drama to say the least. I just want a simple solution... I'd compare it to the GN'R situation with Steven Adler: he couldn't play the songs because he was so messed up on drugs, so they kicked him out of the band. This guy doesn't want to learn to keep time, so he needs to be dealt with.

Once again, I apologize for the large wall of text.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
record him playing and have him listen to himself suck

+1
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") He lost his ears to a pyrotechnics display
Please buy him new ears

Boats and Hos!
my band had this same problem...

insanely virtuosic lead player... no sense of timing, even though he practiced day in day out with a metronome to get as good as he is.

Solution, get the whole band to play to a click, the best way to prove to him that he's out of time is to let him hear he's out of time. lead players simply do not believe anything unless you can prove it to them.

That said it may not be within your means to get a power amp and a set of head phones each. So next time you practice, get your drummer to give you a straight 4/4 on his sticks at about 80bpm and ask your guy to play anything he knows at that tempo.

Then he'll do one of two things. 1) say "oh how silly of me, i have been playing out of time, sorreh!" or 2) deny it, blame everyone else, sook like a 2 yr old and then after many weeks finally admit he was wrong.

Option two was our lead player :P poor guy was just too proud.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by Shredder XXX

what happens if the drummer is out of time? that's the problem with my band...

Edit: to shredder XXX
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Quote by DeadlyKombat
what happens if the drummer is out of time? that's the problem with my band...

Edit: to shredder XXX

Same deal dude. With a straight click in his ear it's impossible for him to play out of time.

If he can still manage too, he's not a drummer. That's it.

All you have to do is use guitar pro, or a midi sequencer of some sort to create accurate clicks to your songs. We used this method, and within 40mins everyone was right on the dime and we will never go back. Our drummer even uses the click tracks live and we all time off him
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
I had the same problem. except i was out of time. And yea definetly have him be proven that he is wrong.
Bass:
2008 Fender MIA Precision Bass
2006 Fender MIM Jazz bass
Amp:
Fender rumble 60
Effects:
Boss bass Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Refurb

MUSE
RADIOHEAD
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERSMy inspirations
play along with the recording to wutever song u are covering, or use a metronome or MIDI like guitar pro with your originals. eventually everyone will have it memorized and know just how fast to go.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
The only reason Angus Young became the lead guitarist for AC/DC was because he couldn't play rhythm very well with a drummer. He eventually got it. Soon your buddy will see the error of his ways and hopefully repent.
You need to record him playing. That's the only way to show him that he needs to tighten up.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Superstrat101
The only reason Angus Young became the lead guitarist for AC/DC was because he couldn't play rhythm very well with a drummer. He eventually got it. Soon your buddy will see the error of his ways and hopefully repent.

I can't tell if you're insulting angus or not...everyone in that band is great at timing.

Anyways, yea, give him a metronome.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
How about see if the other guys in the band agree with you and all tell him he needs to work on his timing?
What I would suggest is that you get one of the other members to talk to him. He's probably reacting to you the way he is because he feels threatened that you want to be the lead and "demote" him back to rhythm. You need understand his perspective before you do something rash like kicking him out.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I'm with the "record him and make him listen to it" crowd
put your drummer on a metronome and record you all playing, stay in time with the drummer, and then show him the recording and have him see how hes the only one out of time, then make friendly suggestions like practicing with guitar pro or a metronome.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.