've been playing guitar for about 2 years now (Mostly self-taught, just as a hobby), and thinking of buying a bass just to play around with but may also join a friends band somewhere along the track.

My budget is about $500 AU ($600 at a far stretch) for both the bass and amp together. I play mostly pop punk, but also give metal a listen every now and then so I'm hoping for a bass with some versatility.

For the bass itself, I'm hoping to spend within the $300-$400 range, leaving about $100 for a decent amp.

Bass Catalogue:
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/productlist.aspx?c=41A31E2F-F1FF-4A2B-8204-FD03CDB34C42&p=85360&r=3

If anyone could suggest maybe a pick of the 5 best ones there? (And if you're super nice, maybe a reason why it's better than others in comparison )

Amp Catalogue:
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/productlist.aspx?c=9DB7D71B-1BBE-4D0B-B88C-20EB0811F14B&r=1

^^ Not a huge range there, but if there are any other reccomendations.

Cheers.
I use just a basic squier p-bass and my band plays pop punk and alt rock so that should be fine. as for amp u need to pop into ur local guitar center and screw around with some amps to get the tone you want.
just stay away from behringer amps. Even if you somehow get a good tone out of it it won't last long.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Untitled23x
've been playing guitar for about 2 years now (Mostly self-taught, just as a hobby), and thinking of buying a bass just to play around with but may also join a friends band somewhere along the track.

My budget is about $500 AU ($600 at a far stretch) for both the bass and amp together. I play mostly pop punk, but also give metal a listen every now and then so I'm hoping for a bass with some versatility.

For the bass itself, I'm hoping to spend within the $300-$400 range, leaving about $100 for a decent amp.

Bass Catalogue:
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/productlist.aspx?c=41A31E2F-F1FF-4A2B-8204-FD03CDB34C42&p=85360&r=3

If anyone could suggest maybe a pick of the 5 best ones there? (And if you're super nice, maybe a reason why it's better than others in comparison )

Amp Catalogue:
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/productlist.aspx?c=9DB7D71B-1BBE-4D0B-B88C-20EB0811F14B&r=1

^^ Not a huge range there, but if there are any other reccomendations.

Cheers.

Not many people talk about them, but I really like Yamahas. I'd go for the BB414. I played the BB415 (5 string version) and loved it. A great P pup tone out of it.

Being an Ibanez user, the SR200 will not let you down either. Then you have the Squier Standards. Good instruments for the price. It's down to you between those three in my opinion. Can I also say ; Ibanez SR100 - Allans Price $495.00 , ....that has to be a typo.

Amps...hmm none of those, sorry.
split more evenly, the tone is gonna mostly be your amp anyway, and the feel doesn't improve on new gear till you reach 600 or so. the best feel is gonna be an SR or SRX, a VM P, or a VM J, all depending on personal preference.

I say get acoustic or ashdown gear, great for the price, and with the clarity of an Acoustic amp, you will know when you make the wrong sound every time, making you a better player, IMO. the AB50 has always been my cup of tea, but the B200 does have 150 more watts, which will allow you to play with a drummer, always a plus.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
split more evenly, the tone is gonna mostly be your amp anyway, and the feel doesn't improve on new gear till you reach 600 or so. the best feel is gonna be an SR or SRX, a VM P, or a VM J, all depending on personal preference.

I say get acoustic or ashdown gear, great for the price, and with the clarity of an Acoustic amp, you will know when you make the wrong sound every time, making you a better player, IMO. the AB50 has always been my cup of tea, but the B200 does have 150 more watts, which will allow you to play with a drummer, always a plus.

He doesn't get Acoustic amps there, and neither do I

I'm not going to hijack your thread here Untitled, but...

WTF

An Ibanez SR with P-pup Barts? and their Mono thingy bridge? Never, ever seen this in my life. Google ain't helping either.
Quote by Micehorns
He doesn't get Acoustic amps there, and neither do I

I'm not going to hijack your thread here Untitled, but...

WTF

An Ibanez SR with P-pup Barts? and their Mono thingy bridge? Never, ever seen this in my life. Google ain't helping either.

who wants some SCAM and eggs?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've never seen this website before, but Untitled..have you used them before? There are LOADS of typos, wrong prices and even more interesting...new instruments i've never seen on this website.

I'm not saying they're a bad website, but when selling something you must make a good impression and to me, they don't install a feeling of confidence in me.

Ibanez "RS300"? A bart pup and preamp, "Top of the range" Ibanez costing less than an SRX300? A B.C. Rich Warlock costing more than a MiM Jazz? Hmm. Just all seems odd to me.
Quote by Micehorns
I've never seen this website before, but Untitled..have you used them before? There are LOADS of typos, wrong prices and even more interesting...new instruments i've never seen on this website.

I'm not saying they're a bad website, but when selling something you must make a good impression and to me, they don't install a feeling of confidence in me.

Ibanez "RS300"? A bart pup and preamp, "Top of the range" Ibanez costing less than an SRX300? A B.C. Rich Warlock costing more than a MiM Jazz? Hmm. Just all seems odd to me.

It's a pretty well known music store here in Australia. They've got a number of stores nationwide and one of their stores are in my city and I was thinking about checking it out myself tomorrow perhaps anyway.

But thanks for the headsup anyway.
The prestige series does have bartolinis and they're made in japan I believe. But they don't have any with P Pickups. They do have the mono rail bridges though.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
The prestige series does have bartolinis and they're made in japan I believe. But they don't have any with P Pickups. They do have the mono rail bridges though.

It was the P-pup that threw me off guard. The shape of the body and pickguard also confused me. I know Ibanez have a lot of instruments that arent sold in certain areas of the world. Hmm. I'm the sad kinda person who wont get any sleep until I find the name of this bass, back to Google for me lol.

Edit : Hmm Ibanez SRP400, never heard of that before.
Last edited by Micehorns at Jan 1, 2009,
If I remember right, Peavey has pretty good prices down there compared to other brands.

I think Ashton is a Aussie brand, so it has no import costs and should be pretty good quality for what you pay. Can anyone from down under confirm this?
Nope, no sig here.