Right now I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Studio and a Line 6 Spider III (ya, I know). I want to upgrade to getting some kind of tube amp and some kind of special f/x pedal (POD, Boss ME, etc.).

A couple of options I'm looking at are possibly an Epiphone Valve Jr. and either a POD XT/Boss ME-20. I don't need a lot of volume, so the wattage isn't a big deal to me. Mainly just looking to get better sound.

One restriction...I'm on a tight budget, right now $200-300 max, and no more than $500 max in the future, so keep that in mind.

So let me know if you have any suggestions or input.
If you really need the modeling, try a Blackheart Little Giant halfstack, and if you can go to the $500 limit and pull out $50 more, a Line 6 Pod 2.0 as the modeler. If you just need one good tone though, take a look at all sorts of small tube combos(I'd personally recommend a Blues Jr, but I own one so that's probably bias).
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
If your on a budget the Crate V series amps are really cheap. Not the greatest sound but with new tubes and a speaker swap the thing could kick some major ass.

Otherwise I've heard great things about the Blues Jr, only one knob though(I think) and that lack of EQing control would bug me.
Quote by robertito696
If your on a budget the Crate V series amps are really cheap. Not the greatest sound but with new tubes and a speaker swap the thing could kick some major ass.

Otherwise I've heard great things about the Blues Jr, only one knob though(I think) and that lack of EQing control would bug me.

Nah, your thinking of the Pro Junior. The Blues Jr. has EQ and a pair of volume knobs.

Quote by necrosis1193
If you really need the modeling, try a Blackheart Little Giant halfstack, and if you can go to the $500 limit and pull out $50 more, a Line 6 Pod 2.0 as the modeler. If you just need one good tone though, take a look at all sorts of small tube combos(I'd personally recommend a Blues Jr, but I own one so that's probably bias).

This
Quote by necrosis1193

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Crate-Blackheart-BH5HS-Little-Giant-W-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ390017800290QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item390017800290&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A3|65%3A12|39%3A2|240%3A1318

I assume you mean this by the half-stack?
Correct.

Try and go for the Blackheart and POD (Boss is kinda mediocre)

You're not really gonna get that "tube gain" tone/sound
Since your gain would be coming for digital processing
If you really want it, check out this pedal
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HTDISTX-Tube-High-Gain-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=152009

or Bugera has some pretty versatile all tube amps for cheap.
But they're all rated at 120W
So they might be to much power for you

or the Fender VibroChamp XD is pretty versatile.
But again, the distortion comes from digital processing (which isn't bad)
The Blackheart idea interests me, its just I don't need all that power though with a cabinet. I'm thinking an Epi Valve Jr. may just be better for right now.
...The Blackheart is the same wattage as a Valve Jr, and it has EQ.

Quote by dviv17
The Blackheart idea interests me, its just I don't need all that power though with a cabinet. I'm thinking an Epi Valve Jr. may just be better for right now.

Wat? the black heart is the same wattage as the Epi.....
Quote by necrosis1193
...The Blackheart is the same wattage as a Valve Jr, and it has EQ.

Yeah, but I'm saying I don't need the cabinet. Isn't it odd just to get the head? I'm sorry if I'm being noobish...
Quote by dviv17
Yeah, but I'm saying I don't need the cabinet. Isn't it odd just to get the head? I'm sorry if I'm being noobish...

...Yes, it's odd, because then you have no speaker and no sound.

Quote by necrosis1193
...Yes, it's odd, because then you have no speaker and no sound.

Yeah, that's what I thought. So the full half-stack only produces 5 watts, the same as the Valve Jr.?
Quote by dviv17
Yeah, that's what I thought. So the full half-stack only produces 5 watts, the same as the Valve Jr.?

Wait, I'm confused, so forgive me if I answer you incorrectly;

The head if five watts. Five tube watts. That's enough to drive the, I believe, 80-watt speaker in the cab. I have a 15-watt tube amp, and I can tell you that the Valve Jr. and the Blackheart would both be fine for both jamming and practicing.

Quote by necrosis1193
Wait, I'm confused, so forgive me if I answer you incorrectly;

The head if five watts. Five tube watts. That's enough to drive the, I believe, 80-watt speaker in the cab. I have a 15-watt tube amp, and I can tell you that the Valve Jr. and the Blackheart would both be fine for both jamming and practicing.

Ok, that's why I'm saying I don't need the 80 watts in the cabinet so the Blackheart isn't really necessary. Plus, the Valve Jr. is more in my price range.
...the Valve Jr. also has an 80-watt cab.

I think he means he just wants a combo for portability or whatever his reason may be, over a head+cabinet even if it produces more power overall.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Last edited by RR787 at Jan 2, 2009,
Little update.

I decided to get a Line 6 UX1 Toneport. I just got a pretty good deal on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180318141395#ebayphotohosting

I now will have about $200. I'm going to try and save up to $350, then maybe buy a Valve Jr. and a Boss ME-20.