Page 1 of 2
Why are standard les pauls so expensive? I want a gibson standard because they are beautiful and sound beautiful, but i won't be in a position to afford one for like another 4 or 5 years!

gr.

oh well, worth it in the end i suppose.

there's my short and meaningless rant.

sam
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Thats a fair rant. I feel the same way. I played one the other day at GC and had forgotten had beautiful they sounded. Maybe if I save up for a few years...
Taylor 410-CE
Fender Strat Mex Standard
Digitech GNX-3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by dudey5691
1) The failing global economy
2) Gibson hiking prices?

I understand what you mean, but there is always the alternative (Edwards, Agile, Tokai, custom?) if you don't NEED the Gibson name.

yea, but are they as high quality? there is just something beautiful about a true les paul
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
haha, the $1000 epi's WERE better, so gibson, in all their douchehood, discontinued em.

Bastards
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Higher end Epiphones are good.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom + Les Paul Standard = Win

Epiphone needs to make a high end SG, then I will be completely satisfied.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Gibsons are ridiculously overpriced and definitely are not worth the money - there are much better guitars out their for the the same amount of money or less!
Quote by bored_maniac33
yea, but are they as high quality? there is just something beautiful about a true les paul

It's different brand to brand, but Edwards and Tokai come highly recommended as substitutes for Gibsons, if you don't feel like dishing out more than $2000 for the same tone.

Completely understandable about what you meant by 'true les paul'.
gibson has always made overpriced guitars. thats why i go with fender
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
of course...you can get a carvin les paul thing custom to your liking for about 1.8k
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Thing is you can say all you want about Gibsons not being as high quality as other guitars in the same price range but why is it that such players as Jimmy Page, Gary Moore and Zakk Wylde continue to use them when in reality they could buy any guitar they wanted to or get an endorsement deal from almost any company. Plus there isn't that feel on non Gibson Les Pauls, I have never played any Epis that felt or sounded better than my Les Paul, it only seems that people who don't own Gibsons slag off their quality or call them overpriced. Just like it ain't really a Strat unless it has a Fender badge on the headstock.
Last edited by Nathan Sturgess at Jan 1, 2009,
Id pay double what i payed for my SG. Nothing else feels like it in my hands. I literally cant play at the same skill level with a different guitar.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by Nathan Sturgess
Thing is you can say all you want about Gibsons not being as high quality as other guitars in the same price range but why is it that such players as Jimmy Page, Gary Moore and Zakk Wylde continue to use them when in reality they could buy any guitar they wanted to or get an endorsement deal from almost any company. Plus there isn't that feel on non Gibson Les Pauls, I have never played any Epis that felt or sounded better than my Les Paul, it only seems that people who don't own Gibsons slag off their quality or call them overpriced. Just like it ain't really a Strat unless it has a Fender badge on the headstock.

and thats why i want a gibson...but sadly, their price tags keep me away
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Nathan Sturgess

Because the reason they have most of that money is because Gibson pays them to keep using Gibson guitars so that you could think that exact thought and want to buy one. GLP's are still FANTASTIC guitars, if I could have one, I would.

Oh, and as a Strat player, you mean't to say "Just like it ain't really a Strat unless it has a MADE IN U.S.A on the back of the headstock".

Buy a Epi LP and put 57's in it. Fix.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Quote by Nathan Sturgess

they get them for free?

IMO gibsons are only as good as the one you get..you gotta look for a decent quality one.. Their quality control has been shown going down the toilet, even though i do believe it is going back up.. but for 1500 dollars? it must be some damn good guitar...
^ But I'm sure if they signed a deal with any company the company would give them guitars for free but they still stick with Gibson.

Quote by harrisonmon
Because the reason they have most of that money is because Gibson pays them to keep using Gibson guitars so that you could think that exact thought and want to buy one. GLP's are still FANTASTIC guitars, if I could have one, I would.

Oh, and as a Strat player, you mean't to say "Just like it ain't really a Strat unless it has a MADE IN U.S.A on the back of the headstock".

Very true that about the strat +1. And I think Jimmy Page may made a little bit more out of Led Zep than his Gibson deal.
Quote by Nathan Sturgess
^ But I'm sure if they signed a deal with any company the company would give them guitars for free but they still stick with Gibson.

Very true that about the strat +1. And I think Jimmy Page may made a little bit more out of Led Zep than his Gibson deal.

amen to the strat comment lol
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Oh yeh and my first post weren't a jab at you pal it were just a jab at general 'PRS, (insert LP copy), .... are better than Gibson' people. Hope you didn't take it like that anyway ;-)
Quote by Nathan Sturgess

There are plenty of other quality guitars better than Gibson. Get over it.

At the prices Gibson sells stuff at, I'd either go with a more affordable copy of comparable quality, like Burny, Edwards, or Tokai, or go with an equally priced ACTUALLY hand built guitar. That's right, because Gibsons, outside of the Custom Shop ones, aren't made by magical luthier elves. Like every other product, they're mass produced, factory line style.
lol if you were talking to me then i wasn't offended
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Get an Elitist Epi Les Paul and if you REALLY want a Gibby, get one of those Gibson stickers and put it on your Epi
Quote by Nathan Sturgess

i own a real gibson, and i mean a real real gibson. none of this modern crap.
there are lots of gibson style guitars that play and feel better than gibsons, and sound as good or better.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by forsaknazrael
There are plenty of other quality guitars better than Gibson. Get over it.

At the prices Gibson sells stuff at, I'd either go with a more affordable copy of comparable quality, like Burny, Edwards, or Tokai, or go with an equally priced ACTUALLY hand built guitar. That's right, because Gibsons, outside of the Custom Shop ones, aren't made by magical luthier elves. Like every other product, they're mass produced, factory line style.

I'm fully aware that they are mass produced but believe it or not mass production and CNC cutting can get rid of incongruencies as much as possible, in terms of body dimension. I am also aware that elves don't make Gibsons (not even the custom shop ones) as elves don't exist. I also know that there are other quality guitars out there, however, my preference is for Gibsons and Fenders. And lastly please talk to me like a normal person instead of a 3 year old in future as talking down to people on the internet really makes you seem a bit silly/juvenile.
Last edited by Nathan Sturgess at Jan 1, 2009,
Four to five years?

Do you make four cents an hour?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
Four to five years?

Do you make four cents an hour?

lol i make 0 cents. my parents wont let me get a job. college is my job lol
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
no no no no

none of you realize that if Gibson charged too much for their instruments then they'd be out of business because no one would buy them? clearly this is not the case so Gibson is charging what people are willing to pay.

you want the prices to go down? make everyone in the world boycott Gibson, if you can't do that bite the bullet and get secret a part time job.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
no no no no

none of you realize that if Gibson charged too much for their instruments then they'd be out of business because no one would buy them? clearly this is not the case so Gibson is charging what people are willing to pay.

you want the prices to go down? make everyone in the world boycott Gibson, if you can't do that bite the bullet and get secret a part time job.

You're in college and your parents are telling you whether to get a job or not?

I'm 14, and can't wait until February so I'm 15 and can(if possible in this ****in economy) get a job, I'm going to. And half of it's going to the fam.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Quote by harrisonmon

I'm 14, and can't wait until February so I'm 15 and can(if possible in this ****in economy) get a job, I'm going to. And half of it's going to the fam.

since my parents are kinda paying for my college, they can dictate whether or not i get a job.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Waterboy799
no no no no

+1 for capitalism!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by harrisonmon

Believe it or not bud, it's easier to work a part time job in high school than in college.

Gibsons are nice guitars. Many other companies also make nice guitars. They all try to make money selling said guitars. Everything's overpriced, it's hard to make money selling stuff at cost, not to mention marketing.

You could also argue that nothing's overpriced so long as people are willing to spend the money for it.

I too wish I had a Gibson lp, along with a PRS custom, and an American strat. Just have to save
Having both Gibson and Epi's in my arsenal, they all have their place. I've never had a guitar that I got from Factory that I thought was perfect. I've moddifed all of them and one of my favorite guitars to record with is a epi standard LP that I paid $300 for. I bought it as a stage guitar that I didn't mind beating up. When I recorded it through both a SLO100 and a Mark IV, it sounded magical to me. The magic of a lot of these artist that can afford anything is not they buy the most expensive guitar to sound good. Some great tracks have really cheap guitars that happen to be the right sound for what they were doing.
Quote by harrisonmon

I have this feeling that Jimmy Page would continue to play Gibson les pauls whether or not Gibson paid him to do so or not. The guy's main guitar is a 1959 sunburst that Joe Walsh found for him in the late 60s, and he has used it ever since. Before he ever had any sort of endorsement or anything. That guitar is probably the holy grail of rock n roll history. It's priceless...
Nowadays, Gibson is to guitars as Marshall is to amps.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Nowadays, Gibson is to guitars as Marshall is to amps.

imperative and significant to the evolution of contemporary music as we know?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man

yea, i was about say something to that effect lol....except not as concisely and with not as many awesome words like imperative and significant....and evolution too
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Gibsons are priced high. This doesn't mean they are overpriced. I've never played another Les Paul that played as comfortable as my Gibson Swamp Ash, or the two Gibsons the guy I bought it from has (he lets me play them whenever I come over). Yes, some Epiphones play very well, but there is just a different feel to them.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by chea_man

i didn't deny that. what i was saying was with the market as it stands currently, they aren't the powerhouses that they once were, IMO. unfortunately, their prices do not reflect that change
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Page 1 of 2