Well our band has been together pretty much since summer, and we have written exactly one song. And, and im being realistic here, it sux. I wrote thy lyrics and the music, the only thing that isnt mine is the generic trash solo. I mean, we play two or three originals that the drummer and the lead brought from their previous band, but they are simple punk songs that i dont realy like. So, we are stuck with some covers and crappy originals.
I think the biggest problem is that nobody does anything except me! (well the lead did write some lyrics about school sucking) I have to come up with lyrics, music, beats and bass parts. I just cant! I can come up with riffs, but thats where it stops. I cant write lyrics to save my life. I already have music for 3 songs, but i cant make lyrics. And if i do come up with them, they dont fit to the music i made, and the only thing i can make them fit to are generic power chords, and i have myself a nice pop punk song. Then i listen to Tornado of souls and go "WOW, THATS what i want to play!". I just cant come up with stuff. And im sick of playing covers that i dont realy like. I hate playing punk, its just boring, especially since i dont sing those songs. I think that if we wrote original material we would move toward more trash/heavy sound. So, any advice would be much apreciated. Because i really dont know what to do.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Last edited by gorkyporky at Jan 1, 2009,
1) If you don't know it, learn theory.
2) talk to your bandmates about how you feel, if they don't care, quit the band. You do nothing for yourself by playing with people who don't share the same ideals as you.
3) start playing and writing all the time.

just my 2 cents.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
First, lern to spel. I'm talking about you stugling.

I agree with you, punk is bad.

hehe, you also said thonk.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Shadow_Hawk is right, talk 2 your bandmates about it and if they don't help you write some stuff your should quit and get better bandmates.
No Signature?
Join The Club...
I forgot to add something, learn theory if you don't know it, and if that's all they want to play, quit.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
not everyone is a great writer, don't worry its god given talent. find someone in the band who can, and if you can't find someone in the band, than you might have some problems.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Really, writing songs is something that you can't learn lyrics wise. You can go out and learn theory out the ass to make a great sounding song, but the lyrics can't really be learned. There are some techniques you can use to help things along a little, but mostly it's a natural born talent that takes time to develop.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
I know some theory (major scale and modes, circle of fiths, chord construction, intervals... pretty much stuff i learned from a guide i found on UG).
I dont think its that they only want to play punk, we also play Seek&Destroy, Ace of spades, we did paranoid and whiskey for a while, and even wanted to do a blues rock song but that kinda drifted away from us... The lead is actually pretty into metallica, dunno for the bass but seems to be to, and the drummer doesnt really care as long as it isnt Iron Maiden. I think that the problem is that they also cant come up with anything better than 5 chord punk songs. Should i teach them some theory, hope they get better? Have a serious talk about what the hell are we actually doing?
What you gotta find people that you can really connect with, people that when are writing songs with them the music just pours out of you guys. You are better off by your self hammering out chords and singing than you are with a band that you cant work with.
For your story, I feel that you need to work on some theory, and you need to try to use none power chords. It's not as hard as you might think. Once you can make a few songs that don't use any power chords, and are all over the place then you can write some power chord songs. You need to understand how more complex chords can actually be two different chords and how to construct. In terms of tips for your band though, well, It aint gonna work unless their you can always get along with them.
Quote by gorkyporky
I know some theory (major scale and modes, circle of fiths, chord construction, intervals... pretty much stuff i learned from a guide i found on UG).
I dont think its that they only want to play punk, we also play Seek&Destroy, Ace of spades, we did paranoid and whiskey for a while, and even wanted to do a blues rock song but that kinda drifted away from us... The lead is actually pretty into metallica, dunno for the bass but seems to be to, and the drummer doesnt really care as long as it isnt Iron Maiden. I think that the problem is that they also cant come up with anything better than 5 chord punk songs. Should i teach them some theory, hope they get better? Have a serious talk about what the hell are we actually doing?

You cant teach them **** unless they want to learn it, You make it seam like all you guys listen to is generic stuff. Power chords don't have to be punk, just the other day I wrote a song that had a D5 cord in it that was also a Asus2. You got the right idea about playing big bands stuff, because that's good practice, but if you guys are serious you souldn't be spending to much time on that.
If theres two pieces of advice i could give you, they would be to never stop writting. The fact that you write all the parts is great because it makes you more valuable as a musician. Even if what your writting now sucks, your atleast developing and establishing a style of writting. Its not easy to put ideas or feelings to lyrics immediately but if you continue to write it will feel much more natural to you over time.

And speaking of time, dont waste it with people who dont share the same goals and ideals as you. I have a group of guys from my hometown that i jam with over breaks but i dont devote any time to writing material with those guys because they dont share my goals of playing shows and writing full on songs. Any time i write music its for the band i play in up at school which meets those desires.

So in short, Keep writing and Find people with your goals.
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Looks like im gonna have to have a talk with them and tell them that we have to stop ****ing around, and start making some god damn music. But i would hate to leave them since there are no other band around here...
Write all the time. 99% of what you write will suck. Deal with it, and learn to find the 1% that's good. There isn't much you can be taught when it comes to writing, you really have to figure it out on your own.
Quote by Shirate
Really, writing songs is something that you can't learn lyrics wise. You can go out and learn theory out the ass to make a great sounding song, but the lyrics can't really be learned. There are some techniques you can use to help things along a little, but mostly it's a natural born talent that takes time to develop.

LOL IT develops from practice. A newborn baby knows nothing about writting and speaking its all learned. The more time and effort spent on it the better you will become. Some people are smarter in certain ways than others and would advance faster just like anything else. You can certainly learn to write better lyrics. Keep practicing and try to learn more about writting. They have many tips on this site in the singer/songwriter section. Its easier to say oh you have to be born with the talent but thats quitter's talk.

Also +1 to looking for a new band if they wont contribute anything and your not enjoying what your doing.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Jan 2, 2009,
don't stop writing even if it sucks people seem to like bad music these days I mean just look at the jonas brothers
You just have to keep writing. Like someone up there said, 99% of your lyrics will suck. But when you get that 1% right, it's worth it. I write trash lyrics all the time, and out of the dumps sometimes comes a gem I can take to band practice and say "I wrote some lyrics" and actually be proud of them.
the only way to become a better songwriter is to write songs.

Lots and lots of songs.

They'll get better over time, I promise.
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
1. if your band isn't doing any work, and you don't like the same music, and you can't write songs together, then you don't have much of a band. quit while you're ahead, or you can try to convince them to shape up... it probably won't work though.

2. keep writing. if you truly understand that theory stuff you mentioned, you should be able to do more than just power chords. if you are still having trouble, you should check UG for lessons on chord construction and chord progressions.

3. a very very large part of rock, metal, pop, punk, indie, thrash, and pretty much all modern music is: the power chord. the root-fifth combination is universally applicable, because it doesn't imply major or minor tonality... i like to think of it as playing one big note - the fifth just emphasizes the root. learn to love power chords, and don't shun them because you've seen people use them as a crutch.

4. and lastly, i have to agree with everyone here when i say: NEVER STOP WRITING. i'll add to that and say that you CANNOT be afraid to leave an old song behind when you advance beyond it. The very first time you write something that you really like is always a great feeling, but the first good tune you write is far from your last. A year from now, you might play something you wrote today and think it's mega-weak. Don't cramp your own style by not evolving your songwriting.