Why do the majority of people who don't listen to it don't like it? It just doesn't make any sense to me. I like all kinds of music, not just the classics. I'll listen to anything that I think is catchy, has a good beat, good vocals, good guitar, bass. Whatever. A lot of music falls into those. Rap, modern rock, classic rock, classical, jazz blues. actually, pretty much anything. But after hearing some people bash mainstream music it seems like it's a bad thing to like it.

So, is anyone up to the task of explaining this to me?
Member of the "On the Right Track" club. PM Michelangelo193 or raise_the_dead to see if they approve of your "On the Right Track"-ness
I am Spartikus

Tremulous name: <CD>Mustang?
Most mainstream music is catchy, but awfully easy and cliche.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Modern music is NOT ALWAYS Mainstream.
People don't like mainstream music because they want to 'rebel against society' and have a different opinion, but also because mainstream music is usually really crappy power chord progressions and they make millions for it.
Quote by bassmaniac101
Why do the majority of people who don't listen to it don't like it?

Do you listen to music that you don't like?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I just don't like a lot of it. Can't really explain why.

Muse, Radiohead, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are the only 'modern' bands I listen to, and really, the only ones I can stand.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Band Wagons. It's cool to be elitist.

Personally, I don't like modern music either. But I don't really bash it. Just prefer older stuff.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
k 'koo

Why do people not listen to music they don't like? I think you answered your own question.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
People are retarded. You see people hating pop bands when they like the beatles. I mean thats retarded. The beatles were a pop band.

/rant

haha
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by RockGuitar92
People are retarded. You see people hating pop bands when they like the beatles. I mean thats retarded. The beatles were a pop band.

/rant

haha

So, you're trying to tell me that the Beatles and Hannah Montana are peers?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by RockGuitar92

/rant

haha
They also grew out of the Pop Band stage once they did Revolver in '66.

Just so you know.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
pointless thread....
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

but like whose popular now? jonas bros miley cyrus and **** like tht ,, idk about u but ill stick with classics like zeppelin, metallica, and clapton
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG2EX1

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Digitech Grunge Distortion pedal

Line 6 spider 3 75w
Quote by bassmaniac101
Why do the majority of people who don't listen to it don't like it? It just doesn't make any sense to me. I like all kinds of music, not just the classics. I'll listen to anything that I think is catchy, has a good beat, good vocals, good guitar, bass. Whatever. A lot of music falls into those. Rap, modern rock, classic rock, classical, jazz blues. actually, pretty much anything. But after hearing some people bash mainstream music it seems like it's a bad thing to like it.

So, is anyone up to the task of explaining this to me?

Wait, do you really expect me to read all of that?

EDIT: What the hell hell are you trying to say? That makes no sense, and by what I did understand, it does not belong in the pit

*reported*
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Just Andrew
They also grew out of the Pop Band stage once they did Revolver in '66.

Just so you know.

Still though....

I hear a bunch about them because my gf loves them. I like them sorta lol. Just saying though.

Oh and to that one guy who said something about Miley Cyrus, in a way yeah. Get over it.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
read my sig.
Anyone who thinks that music these days is dead doesn't listen to enough music.
Quote by MusicalMinority
So, you're trying to tell me that the Beatles and Hannah Montana are peers?

God, the day someone does that to my face, will be the day the police start the man hunt of the century looking for a man who went postal and killed everyone within a hundred feet of him.
Quote by dudetheman
Do you listen to music that you don't like?

exactly. that first sentence of his post kind've threw me off.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
honestly, i just find that a lot of bands nowadays even if they sound good, they just don't have the same energy or attitude i hear/see when listening to/watching older bands from the '70's to early '90's. there are some exceptions outside of that era, but that's where a majority of the good stuff is. i'm usually open when it comes to metal, but if it doesn't sound good by the end of the first song i hear, then that band goes into the "crap" pile.
Quote by chrisking92
God, the day someone does that to my face, will be the day the police start the man hunt of the century looking for a man who went postal and killed everyone within a hundred feet of him.

Maybe you should get over it? Music is music. People seem to forget that nowadays.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by RockGuitar92
Maybe you should get over it? Music is music. People seem to forget that nowadays.
It's quite possible my brain just collapsed on me, but what the hell does that even mean?
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew
It's quite possible my brain just collapsed on me, but what the hell does that even mean?

People always judge music by genres and popularity instead of the music itself.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by RockGuitar92
People always judge music by genres and popularity instead of the music itself.
Right, that makes more sense. I think the way it was worded *holds head*

I'll agree with that.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by RockGuitar92

But the Beatles, Come on, I wouldn't even compare them to bands that I like. and by the way, i Like a lot of "mainstream" music.

When you join a band, you start to write music, isn't your ultimate goal to get as many people to listen to your music as possible? If you answered yes, then isn't your goal to become "mainstream".

Sure I dont like some bands today, like Finger 11, but I also don't like Megadeth, and there part of an entire different era.
Some people hate mainstream because it's mainstream, meaning they wanna look rebellious and edgy.

Some people hate it because MOST of it is very easy to write and just follows a trend.

And some people like it because they just do, not sure why.

I like some of it, Taking Back Sundays album: Louder Now is about the most mainstream thing I can think of I like.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by RPGoof
Modern music is NOT ALWAYS Mainstream.
People don't like mainstream music because they want to 'rebel against society' and have a different opinion, but also because mainstream music is usually really crappy power chord progressions and they make millions for it.

I don't necessarily agree with the whole "rebelling against society" thing...

All the people that I am familiar with who don't listen to mainstream music choose not to do so with a legitimate reason.

However I completely agree with the second half of your post.

It makes me sick to hear bands like Fall out Boy and Green Day making millions of dollars a year in radio play and MTV promotions while bands with genuine musicianship such as The Mars Volta, Man Man, and Panther Attack (local Seattle music ) do something completely new with almost every release yet will go virtually unnoticed in the mainstream media.

/rant
^I appreciate The Mars Volta
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Woah, calm down about the Beatles thing.

I'm just trying to make a point here. Yes, technically, they were pop, but that doesn't mean you can lump them in with pop music of today.

Pop is short for popular anyways, and the popular 'sound' always changes. I'm just saying that you can't just label them pop, and expect people to be okay with that.

But yeah, chill out. No need to get into a huge genre war here. Good music is good music, and that's the end of that.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Generally, Mainstream music uses the same patterns to guarantee success. There is no use to stray off of the basic patterns that are proven to make money. However, this causes the songs to sound the same and often times it tends to be very shallow.
theres always gonna be bands like jonas brothers there always has been.

anyone who rebels against a type of music is a faggot
I like to aton of mainstream music, I also listen to aton obscure music, don't let music defy you, just listen to whatever the hell you want too