I want to put pinstripes on my Epiphone SG, i heard i can do this with Vinyl. has anyone tried this? i want to know what the best method to add racing stripes is, without, of course, ruining the sound of it.
Thanks in advance.
Pics?

Budget?

Guitar type?

I know its an SG but is it a $500 guitar or a $150

Experience?
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

$500, its a black epiphone G-400, yea sorry, i'd have pics but certain ppl broke my last camera
You could tape it, but it would look like crap and come off pretty quickly.

The best way to do this is with paint.

Don't ask how to paint it, because we have a thread at the top of this forum that type of stuff.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i told my mom i could use paint but she said no that it messes with the sound

Only if you **** it up.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I doubt you'd be able to do a decent job with paint. You'd have to reclear it and everything to do that.
Quote by -xSLxASx-

Honestly, your mother is wrong. On solid body electric guitars the finish on the guitar, paint in this case, plays less of a role then body wood does. Body wood on a solid body electric plays only a minute amount of an effect on tone. Yeah yeah, some sights sites play up the wood hype, and claim they can hear the difference but this is all subjective. In blind tests people can't tell the difference.

As Otter said, there is a thread on here about how to paint a guitar, it really isn't that hard, and as long as you take your time and prep the body well, and don't rush anything your fine. Just finish it in several coats of wipe on polly and you're golden. Hell, if you really wanted to do things the easy way you could paint the stripes on top of your clear coat, then add a couple more clear coats on top of everything.
Quote by -xSLxASx-

Wanna smack her on behalf of tone freaks everywhere?

Painting your guitar won't mess with the sound...

I mean, yeah an oiled finish sounds different than a bloody Rihno Liner, or even poly or lacquer... but man she doesn't know what she's talking about.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər

I mean, yeah an oiled finish sounds different than a bloody Rihno Liner, or even poly or lacquer... but man she doesn't know what she's talking about.

I finished a guitar in Spray on truck bed liner, you can't tell that its rubber and not paint by the way it sounds.
You might not be able to identify the finish, but it would sound different.

OtterEDIT: Not bad different, just different. And, the idea that the thickness of paint influences tone is preposterous in my opinion....

In fact, I have a plywood samick that sustains longer than my Gibson SG...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Last edited by Øttər at Jan 5, 2009,
Quote by Øttər

We will agree to disagree. If we were talking about an acoustic guitar I would agree with you fully. But since this is a solid electric where ~80% of tone comes from the pups and the rest is strings and the player. No, I don't think it has too much of an effect. A lot of what we here tone wise is subjective.
On an acoustic guitar, absolutely! The finish on an acoustic can be detrimental to tone if done wrong.

On an electric though, I must say, it doesn't matter all that much.

OtterEDIT: Wait, when did we ever disagree?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər

Right there, :P
You sai that you can't tell it is rubber from the sound, and I said you won't be able to idemtify the finish from the sound...

So, what is it then?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Here is a solution.

Take everything off the guitar, except maybe the neck/

If you don't want to take everything off, just take off the strings, strap-attacher-thingy, and pickguard. Cover everything else very well. Block the area near the fretboard with tape, so if the paint gets anywhere, it will get on the tape. Cover any other area with a rag. Cover the pickups with napkins and tape, as well as the bridge, pickup selector, and any other important area on the guitar. Use your best judgement for covering it up.

Then, along the body of the guitar, put rows of tape in a stripe pattern for the whole area you want it at. The rows of tape will be the black stripes, and will not be painted because they are covered up by tape. Wrap it around all the way. Leave a flap of tape sticking up so you will be able to take the tape off safely.

Now comes the fun part. Paint all on the areas that are not covered with tape. Its okay if you paint over the tape a little bit though. Paint one side, let it dry for about a day (or less if you are impatient.) Then when it dries, paint the other side of the body and let that dry. Once you have everything painted to how you like it, and when it is dry, take the rows of tape off. Let it settle for a little while, and then uncover the pickups and other things you covered.

Look over your guitar. Look for flaws you want to fix. If there are unpainted areas, get a fine point paint brush and paint those areas. If you get anything on the pickups or bridge, then you must have not covered it well. I don't know how to fix that very much. If its on the bridge, then maybe a LITTLE bit of water and some polish might fix that. There might be a better way to remove paint, but I don't know how. If you get it on the pickups, water and liquids can damage it, so don't use anything on them. Try your best to wipe it off with your thumb, don't use any water, and rub that paint stain.

Fix every flaw in it you want to fix, and viola you have your painted guitar.

If you don't want to risk it, take it to a guitar shop where the workers are very good at building guitars, and they might be able to do it for you.

Good luck.

*If any UG'ers that are smarter than me want to fix anything I said, go ahead please.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Well for one, he should clear coat it. And he'll need to sand before he paints. Also he needs to take absolutely everything excepet the neck off. If he can the neck off, that is even better.

Ideally the guitar should be hanging while it is being painted, that allows access to everywhere at once.

And if he does sand properly before painting, and he clear costs after wards, he should finish-sandand buff the clear coat after adequate curing time.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
You sai that you can't tell it is rubber from the sound, and I said you won't be able to idemtify the finish from the sound...

So, what is it then?

I'm not really sure any more.

As for tape with the paint, put a double layer of tape down, like one piece exactly ontop of the other. And after you paint the first coat, let it set for a couple minutes then carefully pull top layer of tape off. To keep the top layer of tape getting too sticky, put it lightly on your shirt first before you put it down. Doubling the tape gives you a better line. Ideally you'd pull off all the tape at while the paint is still wet but it is pretty dam hard to get new tape in the exact same spot. Doing thing helps keep the paint from drying to the tape and having it come off when you pull the tape off. You also have to be careful not to go too heavy near the tape as it can bleed under and it will also build up a paint ledge between colours which is not good. A little sanding after the paint is thoroughly dry and cured helps make a nice line.