So basically, I'll be getting new pickups soon, and I'm wondering about spacing. I want to make sure I don't get too big of humbucker spacing, so I have a few questions.

1. When I measure spacing, do I measure from the edge of the pickup to the other edge, or from the pickup ring to the other side of the pickup ring?

2. If I have a 53mm spacing in the bridge, and I put in a 50mm, will the pickup not work, or will the gap be noticeable?

Much appreciated, thanks.

Cheers
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
The spacing has to do with the width from each pickup pole so they match up with the spacing of the strings above them. That is why bridge pickups and neck pickups are slightly different from each other. the strings are at a different spacing at the two areas.

Honestly, spacing is not a huge deal, and if the spacing is wrong, it wont make a huge deal. If it did, then bends would be impossible because the string wouldn't be EXACTLY over the pole in the pickup. But that isn't the case, so if the spacing is off by just a little, it won't make a difference.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Remember, its only going to still work if the difference is really small. If I took a small spacing neck pickup and put it into a wider spacing guitar in the bridge, its probably not going to work, so just keep that in mind. It would still be a good idea to go with the proper spacing.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by Baby Joel
So basically, I'll be getting new pickups soon, and I'm wondering about spacing. I want to make sure I don't get too big of humbucker spacing, so I have a few questions.

1. When I measure spacing, do I measure from the edge of the pickup to the other edge, or from the pickup ring to the other side of the pickup ring?

2. If I have a 53mm spacing in the bridge, and I put in a 50mm, will the pickup not work, or will the gap be noticeable?

Much appreciated, thanks.

Cheers

You don't measure the pickup at all, you measure the spacing of the strings over the pickup. 48mm is standard spacing, 51.5mm is F-spacing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com