Yeh i just finished reading this book. one of my friends recommended i read it cause it's crazy. so i bought it last week and i just got done reading it.
and i really cant explain it or come up with a solid opinion on this book. im just curious to see who else has read it and what's they're opinion.

/im not a book nerd. i just got word of a really psychotic book and had to give it a go.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
you sir, are the master of UG because of your ability to post while at the same time riding a unicycle and drinking beer.
k,koo
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.

harryberg1's phone number :401-787-3317
Quote by elimination1021
k,koo

Troll much?

And I read the book. murder, insanity, death, and cutters all in one book... and I enjoyed it!

Wierd book though.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by thementor
Troll much?

And I read the book. murder, insanity, death, and cutters all in one book... and I enjoyed it!

Wierd book though.

lol you just joined do you even know what a troll is?
Quote by Sonicxlover

It was pretty cool, but some of the weird formatting crap, while certainly original, got kind of annoying, as did all of the reference footnotes, I know why all of that stuff was there, but at some points it really detracted from the story.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by elimination1021
lol you just joined do you even know what a troll is?

Ultimate-Guitar isn't the only forum site on the internet.
Quote by Ninjake
... isn't mung like, a bean?
Quote by Set-Abominae
Ultimate-Guitar isn't the only forum site on the internet.

well..yeah you're right so nevermind what i said but still..
Quote by Sonicxlover

I haven't read the book, but some of the fall of troy's songs are named after that book... I'm not sure which ones...
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
It was pretty cool, but some of the weird formatting crap, while certainly original, got kind of annoying, as did all of the reference footnotes, I know why all of that stuff was there, but at some points it really detracted from the story.

What I found helped me about a quarter of a way through the story is I just decided to read the Navidson Record all the way through, then go back and read the footnotes. I mean, the footnotes are pretty much a separate story by themselves so it really makes the book as a whole easier to read.

Overall it is a very good book. I think its more of a love story than a horror book, but that's just me. The final expedition into the house is so far my favorite part of the story.
Quote by TGautier13
What I found helped me about a quarter of a way through the story is I just decided to read the Navidson Record all the way through, then go back and read the footnotes. I mean, the footnotes are pretty much a separate story by themselves so it really makes the book as a whole easier to read.

Overall it is a very good book. I think its more of a love story than a horror book, but that's just me. The final expedition into the house is so far my favorite part of the story.

I'm not talking about Johnny Truants footnotes (the ones that follow his story) I'm talking about all of the source footnotes and crap.

Last.fm
yeh the actual exploring of all the countless hallways, stairwells, and ceilingless corridors is the ****. during that part i never even put the book down. but yeh the weird formating got a little weird. at some points i was turning the book in complete circles just to read it. and turning a page only to read one word. but i liked it though cause it's unique in its own way
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
you sir, are the master of UG because of your ability to post while at the same time riding a unicycle and drinking beer.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I'm not talking about Johnny Truants footnotes (the ones that follow his story) I'm talking about all of the source footnotes and crap.

Oh are you talking about all those little obscure books and magazine articles and what not that they used as sources. I thought it was pretty cool the author when into so much detail to explain fictional scenarios and articles. I read some of them purely because I thought they were interesting, but for the most part I really just ignored all of em.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
And the formatting wasn't pretentious in my opinion. A lot of people in the literary world are against what the author did.

Yeah I thought it was cool, just kind of a pain in the ass to read.

Last.fm
Quote by TGautier13
Oh are you talking about all those little obscure books and magazine articles and what not that they used as sources. I thought it was pretty cool the author when into so much detail to explain fictional scenarios and articles. I read some of them purely because I thought they were interesting, but for the most part I really just ignored all of em.

The thing is that the sources aren't obscure: most of them don't even exist.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
And the formatting wasn't pretentious in my opinion. A lot of people in the literary world are against what the author did.

I don't know if I'd consider the formatting pretentious, but Johnny Truant's writing style is. He's like an indecisive Kerouac.
does mark danielewski have any other books published? like i said, i dont read much. tbh, im close to hating reading. but this book is something out of this world.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Quote by rockon1824
The thing is that the sources aren't obscure: most of them don't even exist.

Yeah that's what I meant. He went into so much detail over those 'cited sources' though, it really was pretty interesting and I almost felt obligated to read some of them because Danilewski spent so much energy into creating them, no matter how 'useless' they really were.

But I guess nothing really you could do to your story is worthless if it helps set the mood. Having all those sources really made it seem like it was a Record of events that took place at this house.
I loved it. I've been looking for something with the same vibe for a while. Anyone have suggestions?
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
I got Only Revalations and I don't understand any of it. It's all a weird poem anybody wanna explain it.
Gingers Unite
Where did you get House of Leaves..
I'm having a really hard time trying to find it here..