After a few months of searching for a good tube amp in the $1500ish price range, I have come across a lightly used Bogner Shiva 1x12. Heres the specs:
Specs:
1x12 closed-ported combo w/ Celestion Classic Lead 80 16 ohm speaker
Footswitchable 2 Channel All-Tube Design
Footswitchable Boost
Tube-buffered series FX-Loop
Ch. 1: Bass, Treble & Volume controls
Ch. 2: Bass, Middle, Treble, Gain & Volume controls
Global Master Volume and Presence control
Functions on footswitch: channel switch, boost, reverb
80 watt EL34 (2 x EL34, 7 x 12ax7)
Two-speed cooling fan
Reverb with independent reverb level controls for each channel (added feature)

The guy used it as a practice amp, and just took it in for an annual check up. They replaced the tubes with the bogner recommended ones, and everything else was good. Its a few years old but was never gigged and pretty much never went above 4 or 5 on the volume (if i get it, that will change ). So he is asking $1599, but I can get him down to about $1400. I plan on playing it in about a week, but what do you guys think? Good deal or should I look for something else in my range. I play blues and classic rock. I was also looking at an orange rocker 30 combo, but haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. Thanks guys.
Good deal! Teach me your secrets...
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Shiva's are sexy as hell. DEFINITELY worth looking at.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
if you got the cash, go for it; that's really good. Used Shiva heads go for like 2499 on ebay, and combos usually cost more than heads, so you're getting a helluva deal.
Quote by thementor
Good deal! Teach me your secrets...

Patience, I almost rushed into buying a few things, but now that I look back on it.... I am so glad I didn't, because if you do, then a month later you come across something like this, you get so mad. Haha, and ya I got the cash.... I got a good job. I work at a high end guitar shop, and wait for it..... I get commission on the guitars. Well most guitars there are $2500+ PRS or Gibsons, and Buddha or Mesa amps. Not a bad way to make a ton of money as a teenager (only 16 )haha.
assuming it sounds like the head version i've tried, it'll probably do what you want. it's kinda like a hot-rod marshall kind of tone, good for 80s metal, classic rock, that type of stuff... up to you whether or not to go for it, of course. if you can try it first, that'd be the best thing to do... EDIT: i'd definitely prefer it to an orange rocker 30, no question. some of that is that it's undoubtedly more aimed at the stuff i play, but i just think it's a much better amp too. here in the UK the orange rocker 30 would cost about one-third the price of the bogner- though, granted, oranges are decent value here while bogners are overpriced. though i dare say it's the opposite in the USA, where oranges are a rip-off and bogners are decent value.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree Dave_Mc, I am going to try it out on wednesday of next week. The sound clips on bogner's website were incredible and sound exactly like what I have been looking for. It's 80 watts, but I have an attenuator for at home and studio use, so it will be more than enough to play larger gigs with and I also have the option of mics at most gigs. This seems like a killer deal, because I was in a local music shop and the amp was $2790 with the same features. I was just trying to see what UG thought about the amp overall and if anyone had played it. Thanks.
just be careful if it's too good value that it's not about to break/is stolen/is a fake etc. assuming it's not, though, it sounds like a good deal.

if it's in the local shop go and try it there, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just be careful if it's too good value that it's not about to break/is stolen/is a fake etc. assuming it's not, though, it sounds like a good deal.

Is there any way in general when going to look at a used amp to tell if it is about to die/break or anything I should look for when checking it out? Thanks
honestly, i'm not too sure. any crackling, hum etc. wouldn't be a great sign, i'd have thought... but other than that?

sorry... maybe try the stickied tube thread?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?