I been playing guitar for about a year now, and I notice improvement but not significantly. Do you think it is mandatory to have knowledge of music theory? Ever since day one all I've been playing is tabs from my favorite bands and such, and I finally have the motivation to create my own material, I just feel as if the ideas are really hard at the start. Should I start learning theory? I mean I could already play a decent bit, nothing special though. I can do stuff from Metallica such as seek and destroy, the majority of master of puppets, and some Megadeth stuff as well. I just can't see how theory will improve my ability of quickly moving my fingers, I have really big hands and fingers. I got the idea to make this thread because I really find passion in playing, but I can't seem to get enough speed for the music I really want to create. I tried covering some Children of Bodom songs, but I was blown away and could not keep up half the time. I notice a lot of improvement over my first year, but what am I missing to keep going? Thanks for any ideas pronto.

hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Last edited by bloodycomfort at Jan 1, 2009,
Music theory is key if you want to write your own tunes IMO. Although, many talented musicians didn't know anything about the theory and used their ears. I'm not as talented as them, so I learned some theory. It wouldn't hurt to learn it anyways.

Simple answer: Get a music teacher, he'll tell you what you need to do to get better.
Theory probably won't help your speed, but it will improve your abilities with songwriting and improvisation. Improvisation is how many great songs are created! But as for improving your speed, I suggest finding some excercises (there are many here on UG) and even if you can't play them to speed, practise them every day. Within weeks, maybe even days if you practise hard, you'll see great improvement.
music theory isn't necessary if you know music really well but it helps so much. i know a lot of theory but my ears are really good and it really helps if you have both. if you don't have good ears for music, learn theory. if you do have good ears, learn theory if you can.
Quote by killerscorpion
?
Seek and Destroy?

Whoops, fixed.

Alright good information from most of the posts, so basically theory will just improve my ability to build songs and such? Sounds useful to me, I am debating getting into it. I mean I can move on the fretboard at a decent speed, but there was just this lick from bodom that had a lot of hammer on and pull off type of stuff, with multiple strings, and it just didn't sound correct when I tried playing it, even at different speeds. I think what I need to work on is just riffs that will adjust my fingers to move to other strings quicker with my fretting hand. I am damn satisfied with my picking hand, but not so much the fretting hand when we're talking about hammering notes on multiple strings at really fast paces.

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW
honestly, just do what you want to do.

i mainly learn theory and improvise with my playing, and i can even say after about nearly 3 years of playing i still can't play a full song from start to finish.
i just never felt the need to play others music until recently

So if you don't want to learn theory, go ahead, but i think you'll struggle further on down the line, when you want to jam/improvise
Alright decided to get into theory, gonna get some good information from the net. Got a quick question, when people make metal riffs, do they need a drum loop and a bass line? or do some of them just randomly make a riff with no beat? Trying to find a good way to start, I just made something that is rather catchy, but I have no sort of time perception for other instruments that would be eventually added in.

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW
i just screw around with a scale till i find something that sounds good really, i don't use a drum machine or anything.
Also if you want theory, have a look in the Musician Talk Forum, theres a massive sticky in there i think
Yeah that's a good idea, I'm gonna find some scales and mess around, and read this tutorial on "theory basics". Good information from Tele, thanks.

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW