So this is really noob-ish, sorry, but does putting your pedals in different orders change anything? I keep hearing that you should put this pedal here or that pedal before that one, but I have no idea what that does. Does it affect the tone? Or add to the effect?

Sorry again, and thanks!
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
OD and Distortion should go last, Whammy should go first. That's pretty much it, as other ones don't make that much of a diffrence.

BTW Order is in direction AWAY from the amp. e.g. Distortion of OD should connect direct to the Amp, whammy to the guitar.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

It can really change how the effect works. You can get different wah sounds depending on where you have it in your chain. I like to mess around with mine to see where each pedal sounds best in the chain. It can really make an effect sound completely different!
Quote by thementor
OD and Distortion should go last, Whammy should go first. That's pretty much it, as other ones don't make that much of a diffrence.

BTW Order is in direction AWAY from the amp. e.g. Distortion of OD should connect direct to the Amp, whammy to the guitar.

Wait. This is how YOU may have it, but it's by no means the RIGHT way to do it.

People generally have their distortions first, and their pitch shifters, modulations, and delays last.

TS: This is a good place to start. Gives some really good info. PLEASE TRY DIFFERENT THINGS THOUGH! There is NO right way to order your effects. It is whatever sounds best to YOU.

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-order.htm
i use clean, whammy then other effects after that. but you can always use whatever order you want to create a sound you like.
Quote by thementor

See, I actually like to put my overdrive and compressor first in my chain (connected to my guitar), with modulation effects, like chorus and delay, last in my chain (connected to my amp).

Unless I read your order wrong, I was kinda confused - sorry.
Quote by GNRjungle87
Wait. This is how YOU may have it, but it's by no means the RIGHT way to do it.

People generally have their distortions first, and their pitch shifters, modulations, and delays last.

TS: This is a good place to start. Gives some really good info. PLEASE TRY DIFFERENT THINGS THOUGH! There is NO right way to order your effects. It is whatever sounds best to YOU.

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-order.htm

Meh. In my experience this had always let the effects ring out cleaner. But your right, it does somewhat depend on the user.

+1 to GNR
Quote by Capt_Clarkson

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by unix
See, I actually like to put my overdrive and compressor first in my chain (connected to my guitar), with modulation effects, like chorus and delay, last in my chain (connected to my amp).

Unless I read your order wrong, I was kinda confused - sorry.

Yes, you read the order wrong. BTW i live like 20 miles from you... just thought i'd throw that in there.

GIG EM'
Quote by Capt_Clarkson

Quote by Jim Harkins

Quote by thementor
OD and Distortion should go last, Whammy should go first.

Seriously, why?

Quote by thementor
That's pretty much it, as other ones don't make that much of a diffrence.

Quote by thementor

There are no rules, per se-- but No
there is no order. it depends on the sound you want. please list all your pedals
I put my Trem before my phase chorus and delay, is that ok?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by sloppyjoe109
I put my Trem before my phase chorus and delay, is that ok?

If YOU like the way it sounds, then it's fine.
Tuner

All expression pedals (wah whammy)

Modulation (chorus flange pitch shifter)

Distortion

Delay

Stick to it.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Tuner

All expression pedals (wah whammy)

Modulation (chorus flange pitch shifter)

Distortion

Delay

Stick to it.

The broad brush stroke approach that you suggest sticking to, leaves out a WHOLE bunch of factors, which SHOULD be considered, especially considering the fact that NOT ALL pedals interact the same with each other. Some are buffered, some are not, some a True bypass, some will go in front of a rig, and others in a loop, some forms of modulation and delay may be line level rack gear pieces.

Just saying... There's a WHOLE lot more to consider, before making sweeping generalizations of "How it's done" with a "that's all there is to it, and that is a fact" POV.

Here is the way Bob Bradshaw did my signal chain.

Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 2, 2009,
Ok sure, broad brush doesn't work in all cases. But this guy doesn't sound like he has what... 4000 dollars worth of equipment to tote around with him...

To each his own, but there are certain things that you don't want to do unless you really do enjoy the sound they make.

Such as a dist/od pedal in front of a wah, or an delay pedal first in the chain.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Ok sure, broad brush doesn't work in all cases. But this guy doesn't sound like he has what... 4000 dollars worth of equipment to tote around with him...

To each his own, but there are certain things that you don't want to do unless you really do enjoy the sound they make.

Such as a dist/od pedal in front of a wah, or an delay pedal first in the chain.

We don't know what gear this guy has, but either way making a broadbrush stroke type of a comment as you did, leaves too much room for error, as there are considerations the broad stroke, didn't cover.

Actually... an OD or distortion in front of a wha is EXACTLY what I prefer to do because, a wah is a filter, so putting it at the end of the chain gives the wah a more harmonically rich signal to filter.

I do agree w/ you suggesting that to each his own, and try for yourself, as there is no substitute for experience.
Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 2, 2009,
just think of it this way, every effect in the chain, does it's effect to the sound being put into it by previous effects. guitar > chorus > distortion = distorted chorus

As far as personal preferences I go
guitar > tuner > od > distortion > chorus > flanger > wah > amp
i feel wah after all other effects gives it a smoother and more prominant sound and feel.
where a wah before everything else has too much of a hard sweet spot in it's wah sweep and isn't as strong of a sound.
Whatever order sounds good to you. For instance, most people (like the people in this thread) put their Whammy first in the chain, but I put it last, because I prefer the sound, and I can pitchshift delayed sounds, rather than have the delay replicate exactly what's coming out of the whammy.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by zachman5150
If YOU like the way it sounds, then it's fine.

I understand that, but...

I know there is some sort of position.

Anyways...where would be a good spot to put an octave pedal?

Then I can go from there...
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by sloppyjoe109
I understand that, but...

I know there is some sort of position.

Anyways...where would be a good spot to put an octave pedal?

Then I can go from there...

What are all your pedals and your routing? (some stuff in front of the amp, some stuff in the loop etc...)
we really need a gear list to give suggestions that make sense. as some people have pointed out, the order you put the pedals in can really affect your sound. for example:

guitar---->wah pedal--->loop pedal--->amp

this configuration will record any wah sounds you make and loop it, so every time it loops it will play the exact wah sounds you made the first time.

guitar---->loop pedal--->wah pedal--->amp

in this configuration, the wah pedal is after the loop pedal, so it will not be included in the loop. i use this configuration to loop the verse of white room (cream) and play a wah solo over it.

in your case, the octave pedal alters everything coming into it in pitch by however much you specify. if you put a distortion or OD pedal in front of it, the signal wave will get modified by the OD pedal, and the the octave pedal will modify whatever signal comes into it.

if you put the octave pedal in front of the OD pedal, the signal would get altered in pitch, and then the OD pedal would alter the wave pattern of whatever comes into it. you could get some pretty weird harmonics with that configuration.

tldr;

pedals interact differently depending on order and type. trial and error is your best friend here.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by zachman5150
What are all your pedals and your routing? (some stuff in front of the amp, some stuff in the loop etc...)

Oh ok. I'm running all the pedals through the front of the amp.

Cheers!
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by sloppyjoe109
Oh ok. I'm running all the pedals through the front of the amp.

Cheers!

There was a reason I asked you to list your pedals and the order you're running them, but if it's a secret, I understand. It will however; prevent me from helping you further, so best of luck.