Okay so i first wrote this as a blog on myspace and then descided I was going to put it up on here for anyone who cared to read it. I was going to put it in the metal thread but i thought most of the bands I referenced were metalcore so here goes!

Okay, so lately I've been hearing a lot of debates and arguments about which is better, metal, or rap. So here's my two cents on this whole thing.
Now I'm sure most of you know I love metal but here's my opinion. Firstly, music is defined in The Dictionary as "Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm."

-Rhythm is described as "Movement or variation characterized by the regular recurrence or alternation of different quantities or conditions."

-Harmony is described as "A combination of sounds considered pleasing to the ear.

-Melody is described as "The leading part or the air in a composition with accompaniment."

I'll admit rap has rhythm, though the same rhythm is played continuously in a loop throughout the whole song, it still has a rhythm. Now metal has rhythm also, but has many different rhythms. In a metal song there's an Intro, a verse (usually about 2 or 3 usually different each time), a chorus (usual about 2 or 3 and played the same each time), a bridge, a solo (sometimes 1 solo, 2 solos, dual guitar solos, bass solos, drum solo, or all of them or some variation), and an outro, each at a different rhythm. Since I'm not that big on rap, I listened to Crank That Soulja Boy. I listened carefully to the rhythm of it and heard the same thing played in a loop (excluding the lyrics).

Harmony, is really an opinion. "A combination of sounds considered pleasing to the ear." suggests that if it's not pleasing to the ear it's not harmony. If you walk into a Slipknot concert and blast Lil Wayne first off, you'll probably die and second off 99% of the people won't consider it pleasing to the ear. Now if you walk into a club in downtown Chicago and blast Trivium 99% of the people won't consider it pleasing to the ear. I guess you could say both have harmony, or neither has harmony, it's just an opinion.

Melody is considered the leading part. In metal that would be considered the lead guitar. Now I would love to see a lead part in rap.

Now the basics of what both genres promote. Rap promotes drugs, sex, gang banging, stealing, mistreatment to women, killing, raping, hustling, and other gang activities. I'll admit metal does promote drugs, and sex (but honestly who doesn't want drugs and sex?) but metal doesn't say "Go steal, mistreat women, kill, rape people, judge people, and hustle people." Although metal does reference death a lot it's just a way of releasing stress that people give to us, it's a reference of how people try to make our lives hell, and it's alot healthier than going emo, keeping it bottled up inside, and cutting yourself.

Now let's take a step into what it takes to be a rapper or a metal head. Metal takes skill, determination, talent, and hard work. It takes metal heads YEARS to shred and be as amazing as they are. Do you think Kirk Hamet from Metallica picked up a guitar and wrote Master of Puppets in the first week he played guitar? NO! It took him years to get to were he is. Do you think Slash from Guns N' Roses picked up his Les Paul and wrote Sweet Child O' Mine in a day? NO! I am currently reading a book on Slash, he didn't know the difference between guitar and bass, the first time he held a guitar it was a crapy one that had been in his grandmothers closet for years and had all the strings broken except for the low E string so he learned his favorite songs on one string by listening to them and finding the note now tell me that's not determination. He went from that to being one of the world's greatest guitar players, but it took him many, many, many years! Now rap is basically talantes. Sure they have to think of words that rhyme with each other and put them together, but honestly if you walk into a pre-school and you'll see five year olds doing the same thing reading out of a Dr. Sues book. Now for all of you out there thinking "Oh this is so stupid, rap takes effort too!" or actually it's more like this "Yo dawg dis is wack, rap aint dat easy, I'd love ta see yall do dis!" Notice all the grammatical errors? (But we'll get to that in just a bit)

I have a few great videos for you to watch.

Guitarist/Vocalist Matt Heafy and Drummer Travis Smith for Trivium cover an Eminneme song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWRNYqiXoxk

Keyboardist, Drummer, and Vocalist/Lead Guitarist from Children of Bodom cover a song called Umbrela (Although it's more of a pop song whatever!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awbxWrD7Czo

Now show me a rapper pick up a guitar and play a Metal song, don't worry, I'll wait. Well here's the best I could do. (Keep in mind he's not even playing an instrument!)

Snoop Dogg covering Sad But True – Metallica
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xcub7YxI98

Now if you read above I said we'd get to the grammatical errors part, well here it is. Now if you haven't noticed this blog has little or no grammatical errors. Now rappers have grammatical errors all the time they say they're just as smart as anyone else but that's a little bit contradictory when half the words they use aren't even real words Ex. Fo Sho, Shizzle, Nizzle, Dat, Dis, Dawg, Aint, Soulja Boi ect. The list goes on and on.

Let's go back to the whole talent thing. Remember earlier in this blog when I referred to the dictionary, well here comes some more definitions. Singing is defined as "Uttering a series of words or sounds in musical tones." were as talking is referred to as "Performing a rhythmic monologue with musical backing." Now would metal fit into the category of singing or talking? Well if you listen to the vocals (in non screaming songs and even in screaming songs if you listen to metal often) you can obviously tell the different notes being sang (if you're not a metal head listen to Slipknot's - Dead Memories or Trivium's - This World Can't Tear us Apart and you'll get what I mean). Now rapping fits into talking because if you listen to the vocals in rap they fall short of fitting into the category of singing because they lack the musical notes. If you gave me a musical backing, a microphone, a piece of paper, a pencil, and a simple knowledge of what rhymes with what I could easily write a rap song. On the other hand, to write a metal song I'd need a guitar, a bass, a drum set, a piece of paper (or a couple to write all the tabs), a pencil, a microphone, an amp, and an understanding of music, music theory, scales, chords, time signatures, key signatures, and so on. Now to perform a rap song I'd need a microphone, an amp, and maybe some clothes that if I personally was seen wearing I might be shot. To perform a metal song I'd need a guitar (or two depending on how many guitarists there are), a bass, a drum set, a microphone, about 4 amps, an understanding of music, music theory, scales, chords, time signatures, key signatures, and about 3 or 4 other people who have an understanding of music, music theory, scales, chords, time signatures, key signatures and so on.

Now let's go back to what they promote by looking at the lyrics. A lot of people say metal is promoting violence, well look at these lyrics.

Megadeth - A tout Le Monde (Chorus is sung in German or French I forgot which): A tout le monde, A tout mes amis, Je vous aime, Je dois partir.
English Translation: To Everybody, to all of my friends, I love you all, now I must leave.
Meaning: The lead guitarist Dave Muistane described it as what he would say if he had five seconds to live.

Slipknot - Surfacing: FUX IT ALL, FUX THIS WORLD, FUX EVERYTHING THAT YOU STAND FOR, I DON'T BELONG, I DON'T EXIST, I DON'T GIVE A $HIT, DON'T EVER JUDGE ME!Meaning: It's basically self explanatory. I basically see it as someone who doesn't belong in mainstream society and gets made fun of for being a metal head so just says "Fux it all!"

Well I'm not that big on rap so as for lyrics and meanings I'm stumped but I'll get some up soon.

I'd love to end this on a lighter note, and that's what I intend to do. Now I'll just state one more time that I made this for the huge argument of which is better and I wanted to state my opinion. Well back to the lighter note part. Rap and metal have worked together in harmony for years (although more often then not it ends up with someone being shot.) but they can live together peacefully. Ex. The Devil Wears Prada did a cover song of "Still Fly", Snoop Dogg did a cover song of "Sad but True", Trivium did a short cover song (in the video you saw earlier) of an Emineme song (more or less making fun of him) Anthrax and public Enemy did a cover together, and there are bands such as old Linkin Park who were considered rap metal. So yes metal and rap can co-exist peacefully, more often then not they don't but they can.<br><br> So basically looking at all this that I just took FOREVER to write, I'd say metal takes more talent and has more meaning then rap.

If you disagree with ANYTHING post and tell me about it, I'm positive I can prove anything I said in this blog!

TAKE THAT, SHOVE IT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!
Alexi Laiho and Matt Heafy are Gods
wwwwwwwwtl;dr.

And i will smoke it.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

The metal you mentioned and the rap you brought up are some of the worst examples of both genres.
12 fret fury
Blogs are for blogging

*resrved for videos*
EDIT: **** the videos.

Look, metal is not better than rap.
Rap is not better than metal.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Last edited by ExtremeMetalFTW at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by Punk Poser
The metal you mentioned and the rap you brought up are some of the worst examples of both genres.

should i care what u think of the kind of metal i like? no and i dont and as far as rap goes i hate rap, also i didnt know there was GOOD rap....
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Blogs are for blogging

*resrved for videos*

did u read the top of what i posted? it was a blog on myspace so i copyed and pasted onto here i didnt change the wording cuz i didnt wana take the time to (except in the surfacing lyrics cuz theres so many swears in there)
Quote by Robert_Gray

in the hardcore forum...

"reported"

ya i said that most of the bands i referenced were more metalcore than metal and i didnt wana get it kicked outa the metal forums so i put it in here -.-
I'm positive i can find probably 30-5,000 metal songs about "gang banging, stealing, mistreatment to women, killing, raping, hustling, and other gang activities" in relatively little time...
haha, f*ckin A
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
i don't really have anything to say here, but im leaving a comment so it makes it easier for me to find this thread again later
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Quote by Robert_Gray
"join date"
"avatar"

Here's my Youtube channel.
I play guitar and video games on it.
You're more than welcome to check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Born_to_shred : Next week or so
Quote by Bodom Trivium95
should i care what u think of the kind of metal i like? no and i dont and as far as rap goes i hate rap, also i didnt know there was GOOD rap....

Well isn't that ****ing convienent?

You don't care what we think, but somehow you think we should care what you think.

Quote by Bodom Trivium95
ya i said that most of the bands i referenced were more metalcore than metal and i didnt wana get it kicked outa the metal forums so i put it in here -.-

Metalcore DOES NOT ****ING EQUAL METAL!!!!

There are distinct differences.
Playing a guitar DOES NOT equal writing lyrics.
it's funny how you mention "shredders" but you bring in Slipknot.
Let's see any of the artists you listed write something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wDUbEqqFLg
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
You wrote alot but didn't really back yourself up. Go, listen to some rap and I mean give it a good go. Read the wikipedia article if you have to. Nobody can argue with you if you have no argument.
some rap is good. some metal is good.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
Fights in the pit can be so entertaining.
*eats popcorn*
(\__|)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain World Domination.

92% of teenagers have moved on to rap. Sig this if you think most new popular music sucks.
Neither is better than the other, it's all personal preference.

I like country over popular rap.
I like underground rap over GNR. Listen to the CORRECT rap...Doh, popular rap is ****. There's no use arguing that, it's pretty much a fact. The GOOD stuff...the stuff you DON'T hear on the radio, on MTV, on the charts. Aesop Rock....Mr. Lif... Perceptionists...Mos Def...Talib Kweli...Pharoahe Monch...early Nas was good, gangstarr, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXAKOfk7_ho

Point in case. Don't even tell me this won't revolutionize the way you think.

Life ain't a bitch. Life's a beautiful woman, you only call her a bitch cuz she ain't let you get that pussy .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-VnubADQuA(I'm covering this one w/ my friend Quinton)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enQsdbcMOiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXThb4rfKCo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMOy9SsUQ7U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHReQQnMVQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ55RnJofDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGikGsI-nw0
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Last edited by harrisonmon at Jan 2, 2009,
wow, i'm sorry ts, but grow up

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Quote by harrisonmon
Neither is better than the other, it's all personal preference.

+1
(\__|)

92% of teenagers have moved on to rap. Sig this if you think most new popular music sucks.
Quote by Robert_Gray
10 bucks says the TS is in his room crying now

Dont you think thats a little harsh?

*glances to the left and right*

I second that wager.
(\__|)

that was ridiculously stupid.

i don't know what's happened to the world and its intelligents.

see what i did there?
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
And another thing, douchebag. Talent doesn't only ****ing apply to skill in an instrument. Talent can equally be applied to vocal presentation and lyrical significance. It's also talent in just putting together music and having it come out sounding well...don't tell me mr. rick rubin doesn't have talent. production.

Anyways, beyond that, you are ignorant because you believe all rap is the same, because your mind is too secluded to venture out to discover new things. You prefer to stay safe inside your crib and listen to what you know sounds good to you. You only think popular rap is all the rap there is because that's what you are forcefully exposed to in the few social situations you happen to be in. But venture out, listen to something new, DISCOVER. Check the links in my earlier post and watch them all. It's valuable.

And don't think that just because they have no instruments such as lead guitars means that you have small balls or some **** for listening to it(You probably already do, anyways). True, music is preference, but I find it hard to believe that a human being can listen to Aesop Rock or Talib Kweli and not find it pleasing.
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
this is stupid

99% of rap is probably better than the metal you listen to

honestly, the only one of those bands I can really even enjoy is Metallica

ban this man and close this thread
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
its like comparing apples an oranges if you ask me or whats an even worse comparison its like comparing oranges and water.

the two have nothing in common besides the fact that they are music and both take skill i bet you cant go make a grammy level hip hop song if you wanted to besides you used soulja boy as an example after that i cant listen to anything you say after that because hes horrible use some good artist.

you forget that there is actual music in hip hop its not just the words and yes alot use guitars

then you really shoot yourself in the foot with what the music promotes. so yeah there is alot of violent rap but not all of it is , are you really gonna sit here and say metal dosent havent any. it has just as much maybe more. metal has a genre called death metal. Have you ever listened to cannibal corpse its worse then any hip hop song ive heard in terms of violence.

my point is hey you dont like rap okay but come on you say that its not a valid form of music which is just silly. Just say you dont like rap .
I'm not going to read that simpley because of the ignorance in your thread's title, shut up, you're close minded, done.
Stop being so close minded. I bet you've never listened to decent rap, trust me - it's out there. Rappers Delight by the Sugarhill Gang is a must for anyone.

Get off your ass, and go listen to some music other than 'metal'.
Firstly - tl;dr

Secondly - Comparing "rap" to "metal" is absurd. To try to compare the two genres you first need to define them, you could write a whole novel just defining each term and explaining what you believe counts as "rap", what counts as "metal", what counts as neither and what counts as both (or taking influence from certain aspects of both of your blanket terms of "rap" and "metal" (zomg wut? both rap and metul wut? how is dat possbile? mah head is exploding)). Once you've defined each you can begin compare the two (an impossibly monumental task to complete comprehensively). And in the end you'd find that you were comparing apples and oranges and bananas and watermelons and appanges and oranples and bananappleges and lychees and kiwigraapploranwaternectarcherrapriberryplantnutmelons... (etc) simultaneously. For the point of what? You are wasting your time.

Thirdly - I bet your whole argument centres around how you think that because your favourite metal band's guitar players play 35373949 notes per minute they will never better than *insert mainstream "rap" "artist" here* because they don't even play guitars! How could someone ever be a talented musician without even playing guitar!

Fourthly - You are thirteen, you don't know anything.
Quote by lachyray
do you reckon straight edge people ever get temped to drink alcahole,
when really want to but they know they can't so they just dont?
Go and listen to Immortal Technique, Public Enemy or Dilated Peoples and re-evaluate what you think rap promotes.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)