Ok, I want to know how to wire the pickups to my guitar to tom morello's soul power guitar. From what I have learnt is that he has a HSS setup going on ( humbucker, single,single) but he flips the toggle switch back and forth. If he does that doesn't it only use 2 pickups, not 3?...that's what I'm wondering...it kind of defeats the purpose to have three pickups but a toggle switch that flips back and forth between only two....anyways post everything about Tom Morello's setup and how to wire things like him. Thanks.
Last edited by Jordan Dixon at Jan 2, 2009,
... the toggle switch is the same setup as a fender strats switch would, it's a 5 way switch allowing you to use all 3, just two, or just one...
huge small small?? you mean a humbucker and 2 single coils? how long have you been playing? i don't think he wires anything differently
Quote by Jordan Dixon
Ok, I want to know how to wire the pickups to my guitar to tom morello's soul power guitar. From what I have learnt is that he has a HSS setup going on ( huge, small, small) but he flips the toggle switch back and forth. If he does that doesn't it on use 2 pickups, not 3?...that's what I'm wondering...it kind of defeats the purpose to have three pickups but a toggle switch that flips back and forth between only two....anyways post everything about Tom Morello's setup and how to wire things like him. Thanks.

hahahahaha its Humbucker, Single coil, Single coil. it refers to the type of pickup not the size.

also, he's most likely using a 5 way toggle switch instead of a 2 or 3 way.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Jan 1, 2009,
The Soul Power guitar has Fender noiseless pups in the mid and neck, and a Seymour Duncan hotrail in the bridge position. The 5 way selector switch is the same as any other strat. He has a kill switch installed that kills all the pups. I'm not exactly sure how it's wired. i would imagine the lead wires heading to the pickups run through that killswitch first allowing the signal to be killed.

A lot of Morello's solos are based on killing the signal totally. Since the strat doesn't have a volume knob for each pickup, turning the volume off on one of the pups and switching between them doesn't work for killing the sound, thus the killswitch. It's just an extra 2 way toggle installed on the bottom forward area of the pickguard.
funkbass doesn't know what he's talking about when he says 5 way toggle switch! I did the same thing you should do. What you have to do is go out to a radio shack, and they should have a cabinet filled with the guitar innovators glory hold!!! They have all of the wires, switches, gizmos and gadgets that you would ever need to make your guitar like Tom's, and create it in your own style too!(don't just focus on other people's styles, be an original!) What you need to do is buy one of the push button switches if you want to make your killswitch easier to operate. But if your going for one that can stay flipped direction for a while, and flipped rapidly, you should get one of the switches that Tom Morello uses; one of those lever switches(thats what I did, and I love it!! I might get a new one thats bigger, but not too big though) and after that, you need to wire it to your guitar. There should be 2 or 3 prongs on the switch that you can hook up wires to[(i recommend copper wire((because current can travel quick through copper)) from an old electrical device {broken headphones, etc.}((this way u have more of a chance that your getting insulated wire, too)) or i guess u could find some at RS if u really need to)].

O.K., once you have the supplies you need, make sure you have a couple of socket wrenches and screwdrivers with you. You might want a soldering gun, pen, whatever kind of soldering tool you have, but if you don't have one of those, you can go to WAL-MART or something and pick one up for under 20 bucks, but if you don't have the money (which i recommend having the money!!!, because a soldering tool makes the job so much faster, more efficient, reliable, and less of a questionable mishap of having the already soldered on wires to the input coming off) some electrical tape can work, but the job will be strenuous, long, and frustrating.

Now you should have every tool you need to get started! I'm going to put a list of supplies here, so you can check off what you have and don't have.

-A switch (maybe a couple, if you want to test a few in your hands to see which one you like best)
-2 INSULATED!!! wires (if they aren't insulated(plastic coated), you will run into some HUGE PROBLEMS)(make sure they are about a foot long, because extra wire never hurts if you need to make changes)
-Soldering Tool or electrical tape (but, really, you should have a soldering tool...I ran into a problem with electrical tape when I was doing this!)
-Screwdriver (to take the pick guard and amp jack protector off)(make sure it's the right size)
-A bunch of socket wrenches, to take your nuts off (lol)(but really, you will need a couple to fit the tone and volume knobs on your guitar AND the switch your using)

O.K. this looks just right! Now let me take you through the steps!

1. Take off the pick guard and the amp jack protector(the little silverish piece where you plug in the amp cable) by removing the screws from the sides, but watch out for the pick up screws and the channel switching screws(don't remove those, because you might regret it) , because it may screw up your pick ups and your channel switcher! To take your pick guard off farther, but not all the way, you can take off the little white tip of the channel switcher by tugging a bit on it, but make sure to replace it.

2. Now you should take off the knobs on the potentiometers (volume and tone pots) and taking off the nut on one of them (if you take off all of them, the pick guard might come off a little farther). Another thing you could do, though, is drill a completely new hole in your guitar, either where the big cavity is(away from any other wires or devices), or away from it, but then you will need to drill a new hole to put a wire that goes to the big cavity! If you do the second option, you will need to drill a hole in the guitar itself, not just the pick guard. Now your guitar is ready for operation!(personally, I would just choose to use the tone knob hole)

3. Before you put anything IN your guitar though(I was stupid not to do this) attach one wire to one wire to a side prong of the switch and another wire on the middle prong (if it has 3). If you have 2 prongs, attach one to one and the other to the other. It's not rocket science! You can just wrap it around the hole on the switch. Soldering isn't needed if you wrap it, but if you want to, go ahead.

4. Use one of the holes (I recommend one of the tone holes) to put your switch in. Take the top nut and washer off and put the switch in from under the guitar, through the tone hole that you opened up (top or bottom, doesn't matter) or the new hole you made. put the washer and nut back on that from the top, so it locks in there.

5. Take the wires you attached to the switch, and put them through the whole that leads to the smaller cavity (the one where you plug the amp cable through) eventually, you should see it come out the other side.

6. You then take the wires ends that are in the small cavity and attach one to each of the little prongs. Leave the big one alone. This is where a soldering tool comes in handy! You can solder them to the prongs, but make sure the wires don't cross with the original wires on the prongs. (it does not matter which wire goes on which)

7. Reattach everything back to the guitar, the tone and volume pots; everything! You might need to keep one of the tone pots hanging inside the guitar. Don't worry, it will still work, you will just need to remove a couple screws if you want to change the tone volume. But the other two pots (the volume and other tone pot) you can reattach to the guitar and screw everything back on.

8. If you follow all of these steps exactly how they were intended, then you should have successfully installed a killswitch to your guitar!!! Way to go!

This took me a while to type! wow! This information is for anyone who wishes to use it!!! I hope it helps anyone who is looking to attach a killswitch to their guitar! This information is in my original wording, so please don't copy and paste this work.
What causes someone to want to change their font? I'm not sure why, but it annoys me. And seems harder to read...

Anywho, looks like good info from my skimming
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.