Despite people saying to try out guitars and buy them in-store, I bought my guitar online : an Agile AL-3000 Honey Sunburst Finish. I commonly hear about how all guitars need to be set up and adjusted before you play it. Since this is my VERY first guitar, I have no idea how to set it up. What do I have to do or look out for when setting up my first guitar? Should I do it myself or bring to a shop (will the shop charge me?)? Links on internet? Thanks.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Nice guitar for a beginner. All you need to do is tune it, unless you have problems. Then you may need to refer back here, or take it in.

Here's to a long, sucessful career in music mate
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Id also add intonation might be needed... I bought mine used and everything is perfect except I think the low E needs a little tweaking since the 12th fret is slightly off...

I'd also say you should check the action on it... I haven't had to set that on my guitars but you might need to.
Unless you know what your doing, take it to a pro and yes, they charge. As to what amount, i dunno, a friend did for me the first time and i learned since then hehe.

All you would need right now though since it's your first guitar (Though it's a pretty nice one there) is to tune it as thementor said, and that's pretty much it hehe.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
i should probably mention that you should use the searchbar, but since your fairly new i'll let it slide. :P

"set up" usually refers to the action i.e. how high the strings are off the fretboard. i find that the best action is to be as low as possible without fret buzz. if you feel you need to change it, there's probably some guide lying around here, or you could google one.
Searchbar
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Id take it to a tech, just to be safe. You never really can be too careful starting out, and a tech will definately make your guitar play great.
Bump

Thanks for advice so far. Wow, UG is alot better that other places I've been where they don't know what they're talking about.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
taking it to a tech will cost anywhere from $20-$50. + a new set of strings.($5)
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I dont know why you'd need to take it to a tech. All you have to do is set the action and set the intonation. It is really easy just google it.. I'm sure your frets are level etc.
Bump. Tuning shouldn't be a problem for me. So as Long as nothing unusual happens I should be fine?
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Okay well, I think they're all right, but they're missing all of the other stuff. You need to check for glue oozing out of joins, cracks in the neck/headstock chips in paint, chips in inlays on fretboard, if the pickups work alright, if the hardware is all secure, and finally, the action, it could make or break a guitar, lol, literally.

Heres a diagram of what a neck should, and shouldn't look like, and a simple how-to on ajusting it( this is also called ajusting action, i believe.)

ugh, my comps being stupid, i'll put it in another post for you, okay?

EDIT: Here

EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
Last edited by evortre at Jan 1, 2009,
I don't think your going to have to worry about any of those things unless they are noticeable... I couldnt imagine cracks and chips on a brand new guitar.
Quote by carousel182
I don't think your going to have to worry about any of those things unless they are noticeable... I couldnt imagine cracks and chips on a brand new guitar.

It happens, better safe than sorry with that stuff, right?
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
I guess haha I was just saying you don't have to make a big deal of setting up a guitar. I would make sure your neck is straight though.. a quick visual inspection might not be a bad idea either.