My step-brother got a basic electric guitar starter pack for Christmas, out of the blue, not even expressing to his parents a desire for one, and now i feel i should teach him some basics. I myself, have played bass guitar for four years now, self taught, and i have become quite accomplished (not bragging keep focus on ma brother >.>.

Should I tell him to just watch videos on Youtube, and me give him tips, or should i do more formal and show him scales and improvisation and such. I was thinking about telling him to learn simple songs that he likes and i would teach him basic basics, haha. His first goal is to play ATR's "Six"

umm BTW, is Six a hard song on guitar? its quite easy on bass...

EDIT: originally posted in pit on accident >.> lol
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
the way ive taught some people is the more formal way, scales, progressions, etc
watching videos probably wont help much since the guitarist in the vid will probably play too fast and will be confusing. also will probably affect his style of playing, just merely imitating
also i dont know if its easy on guitar
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Six is actually quite difficult, he'd need fast tremolo picking being able to switch strings, fast galloping, a solo, clean chords, alternate picking.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
team him basic scales but then show him a song where its used if hes one of those people who gets bored easily
and yes six is tough im assuming he wants to learn it becuz of guitar hero (thats why i learned it) but if he is dedicated enough he should be able to play all of in after a year of playing
six might be hard for a person that's begining to learn guitar. I even thought Fall out boy was hard when i started.
Quote by Nexium
Ive accidently busted my nut.
Quote by PirateXc
team him basic scales but then show him a song where its used if hes one of those people who gets bored easily
and yes six is tough im assuming he wants to learn it becuz of guitar hero (thats why i learned it) but if he is dedicated enough he should be able to play all of in after a year of playing

yea me and him both hate guitar hero, but we love six. you could say he wants to because oh GH2 though...
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
that is kinda true.... guitar hero is the reason my cousin wanted to learn bass..... and drums....

E-married to no one
My Name is MaryJane
Pokemon Black FC: 3310-5005-8816

Quote by Kumanji
Honestly, I know where Alabama is and I suppose that explains your deeply striking looks...
im a convert from gh to real guitar
no comparrison i effin hate that game now
1. Start with basics (position
2. basic technique (alternate picking, bends, slides, hammer-ons, pull-offs)
3. A song every now and then, with licks
4. Introduce him to guitarists, let him find out what style of music he likes
5. Advanced technique (legato, sweep-picking, speed)
6. Jam with him.
Tell him to stop even thinking about six if he just for a guitar. Just wont happen for some time as you need to develop good technique first.