http://www.recordingreview.com/quiz/signal-chain.php

This is quite handy, and perhaps confidence inspiring, to the 90% of UGers who don't have access or cannot afford high end audio equipment.

Post your results here (don't use the numbers to avoid spoiling):

I preferred the SM57 to Firestudio arrangement (!) and preferred the less expensive chains 2/5 times. To be fair, I'm only using an integrated sound on my laptop, but I still listen to music on it often...
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I wound up choosing the R121 > Vintech 1272 > Mytek AD96 > Distressor as my favorite clip. The clip just sounded warmer and a little bassier to me. I evaluated the tracks using a pair of Bose QC2 headphone plugged into my PC.

Oh, I preferred the sound of the cheaper signal path 1 out of 5 times.
Great link! I got it right on most of them, though the differences are pretty slim in all honesty. Heard through Sennheiser HD497s:

"You chose R121 > Vintech 1272 > Mytek AD96 as your favorite clip"
"You preferred the sound of the cheaper signal path 1 out of 5 times."
There were only 2 tracks that really stood out for me. Many sounded the same. I am listening through high quality headphones too.
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
This is a bit problematic.

First, he admits himself that he changed the placement of the Royer mic basically to make it sound more like the 57. Not a fair test.

Second, he used the SM57 with the cheaper signal chain *every single time* vs. the Royer mic with the more expensive signal chain.

What would be WAY more meaningful would be if he used the same mic in the same position and only changed the signal path as the variable in each clip. THEN I'd be more interested in this.

As it is, it is a completely bogus test.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Axe, you do have a point. I have a feeling mike placement had a big part of why I liked the SM57 to Presonus chain. I too wished it was more scientific, and that there was a separate test that had microphone only changes in the signal chain.

It may be a bogus test (he had compared a supercardoid dynamic to a figure 8 ribbon), but it does show the diminishing returns of spending much money on equipment, which was my main reason for posting it.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
True enough.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.