I spent about an hour and a half at GC yestreday, demoing some effects. I was leaning towards BOSS's equalizer, but I tried a few distortions out first. I have a DS-1, but I tried all the Overdrive and Distortion pedals there. I love the DS-1, but it's just not right for all of the songs I play. I liked the ML-2 and MT-2 a lot. If I were to choose though, I like the ML-2 better. So, here's my question.

I like the tones I got from this pedal for GnR, and EvH. MT-2 wasn't bad either, but I couldn't get a good thick distortion out of it. So, I was thinking about buying it (ML-2). Until, I saw the price tag. Personally I don't think $99 is too bad, but does anyone think it's a bit overpriced for a distortion pedal? I was thinking it would be around $50. Also, can anyone that has both pedals tell me which would be overall better for GnR, EVH, Chris Caffery, Savatage, and Trans-Siberrian Orchastra? I got the DS-1 for pretty much everything else I play, and I'm sure if that doesn't work well for a song, I can get one of those pedals to get a good tone. Other pedals are DD-7, CS-3, Dunlop GCB-95F Wah Pedal, VB-2, and DS-1, if that matters. I'd prefer to stick with BOSS, but if someone knows of a better pedal (I'd prefer you would have at least tried at least one of the metal pedals if you suggest a different manufacture, but w/e), then OK. My budget is from $0.00 - $100.00.

You can also say you would prefer the equalizer over a distortion pedal. I'm all ears... I have no clue what to do.

My equipment:
Aria Pro II Cardinal Series CS-250
Crate CR-160
CONN (Accoustic)
Laguna LE 322 AVB
BOSS DS-1
Line 6 Micro Spider
Line 6 Uber Metal
BOSS VB-2
BOSS D-7
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Classic
BOSS CS-3
BOSS GE-7 (soon)
The"metal zone" is completely capable for most applications. I've had mine a while and it hasn't ceased to surprise me. You need to mess with mid frequency and set the bass higher than you think. I also have the Line-6 uber metal which has a wider range of tones and a gate built in. The both are great but i would lean towards the MT-2 for those heavier metal tones.
ML-2. I bought mine last week agter comparing to an MT-2. It has much thicker sound than the MT-2 and overall i find more versatile.
Quote by cedaguol

Metal Muff is pretty good IMO

I'll take a look at it, thanks

Quote by TW909

The"metal zone" is completely capable for most applications. I've had mine a while and it hasn't ceased to surprise me. You need to mess with mid frequency and set the bass higher than you think. I also have the Line-6 uber metal which has a wider range of tones and a gate built in. The both are great but i would lean towards the MT-2 for those heavier metal tones.

Never saw that one (Line 6 Uber Metal). Would you be able to rate it's reliability? I'm going to GC probably tomorrow again, so I'll mess around with the metal zone as you suggested, and try the Line 6 if they have any set up for demo.

Quote by eteam_sammy4him

ML-2. I bought mine last week agter comparing to an MT-2. It has much thicker sound than the MT-2 and overall i find more versatile.

That's why I liked that pedal too, but I'll see what I can do with the MT-2 after fooling around with it as TW909 suggested.

Thanks for the replies!
My equipment:
Crate CR-160
CONN (Accoustic)
Laguna LE 322 AVB
BOSS DS-1
Line 6 Micro Spider
Line 6 Uber Metal
BOSS VB-2
BOSS D-7
BOSS CS-3
BOSS GE-7 (soon)
definately metal muff...please don't get boss distortions. they're terrible, don't fall into the trap. listen to us. boss makes cheap crappy digital distortions, they're known for it.

get the ehx metal muff, it won best distortion from some magazine and it's great.

you won't regret it.
boss you will regret.
i personally like boss's other pedals so i'm not a boss hater, i'm just telling you the truth
99$ is nothing, in Australia they're like 189-200$
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Venom14228
I spent about an hour and a half at GC yestreday, demoing some effects. I was leaning towards BOSS's equalizer, but I tried a few distortions out first. I have a DS-1, but I tried all the Overdrive and Distortion pedals there. I love the DS-1, but it's just not right for all of the songs I play. I liked the ML-2 and MT-2 a lot. If I were to choose though, I like the ML-2 better. So, here's my question.

I like the tones I got from this pedal for GnR, and EvH. MT-2 wasn't bad either, but I couldn't get a good thick distortion out of it. So, I was thinking about buying it (ML-2). Until, I saw the price tag. Personally I don't think $99 is too bad, but does anyone think it's a bit overpriced for a distortion pedal? I was thinking it would be around $50. Also, can anyone that has both pedals tell me which would be overall better for GnR, EVH, Chris Caffery, Savatage, and Trans-Siberrian Orchastra? I got the DS-1 for pretty much everything else I play, and I'm sure if that doesn't work well for a song, I can get one of those pedals to get a good tone. Other pedals are DD-7, CS-3, Dunlop GCB-95F Wah Pedal, VB-2, and DS-1, if that matters. I'd prefer to stick with BOSS, but if someone knows of a better pedal (I'd prefer you would have at least tried at least one of the metal pedals if you suggest a different manufacture, but w/e), then OK. My budget is from $0.00 - $100.00.

You can also say you would prefer the equalizer over a distortion pedal. I'm all ears... I have no clue what to do.

If you like a mix between Slash's Live and Studio tone the Boss DS-1 is the best bang for the buck other than buying a Slash Marshall or JCM800.

The thing is this pedal combined with a Boss EQ and tube amp is actually a great combo!. It provides more distortion than any Rock Guitarist needs provided you set the level at mid or above use it to boost your tube amps natural tone.

Check out a few of my GNR inspired licks with the Boss DS-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVHaUATiL0

Unlike a metal zone/MT-2 the DS-1 won't cover up your playing, it still keeps your natural guitar and amp voice intact.
Last edited by SlashWannabe1 at Jan 2, 2009,
Or an MI Audio Crunch Box if you like Marshall but can't afford one.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Sorry for not replying. Just been a little busy.

So, after a few more hours of online research, and after talking to a few more people, some who have Line 6 gear and BOSS gear, I decided to go with the line 6 uber metal. So far so good, I got a pretty good distortion tone out of it. When I get time, I'll upload a sound sample online. I was actually surprised, the effects aren't that bad for L6 IMO. Could it be better? Yes. But still, it's pretty good.

As far as my DS-1, I like that pedal better for stuff like AC/DC and Deep Purple, but I prefer more distortion for stuff like GnR.

I'm going to wait for my birthday to get a BOSS EQ.

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread.
My equipment:
Crate CR-160
CONN (Accoustic)
Laguna LE 322 AVB
BOSS DS-1
Line 6 Micro Spider
Line 6 Uber Metal
BOSS VB-2
BOSS D-7
BOSS CS-3
BOSS GE-7 (soon)
Last edited by Venom14228 at Jan 4, 2009,
Can the uber-metal get trivium-opeth?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Stop. Save $50 extra dollars and get the Keeley modded Boss Metal Zone. It's so much better than the stock pedal. YouTube it.
Quote by bucketmark
Can the uber-metal get trivium-opeth?

Going to sound stupid, most likely. But what's a trivium-opeth?

Quote by TheEsupremacy
Stop. Save $50 extra dollars and get the Keeley modded Boss Metal Zone. It's so much better than the stock pedal. YouTube it.

I'm actually thinking about getting my DS-1 Keely modded.
My equipment:
Crate CR-160
CONN (Accoustic)
Laguna LE 322 AVB
BOSS DS-1
Line 6 Micro Spider
Line 6 Uber Metal
BOSS VB-2
BOSS D-7
BOSS CS-3
BOSS GE-7 (soon)
Quote by Venom14228
Going to sound stupid, most likely. But what's a trivium-opeth?

I'm actually thinking about getting my DS-1 Keely modded.

If you're looking to play modern metal, and you don't know who Trivium or Opeth are?

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']If you're looking to play modern metal, and you don't know who Trivium or Opeth are?

Can't believe I haven't heard of them. I listen to a lot of stuff, but I've never heard them. Maybe I have, just never knew the band name. I just googled them though. To be honest, I've just started to like and listen to metal. so I don't know many bands anyways. I always used to only like bands like AC/DC.

Somehow, I knew that was going to sound stupid. Sorry if it did. I'll try tomorrow and see if I can get the pedal to get a tone for them, after I listen to a few songs.
My equipment:
Crate CR-160
CONN (Accoustic)
Laguna LE 322 AVB
BOSS DS-1
Line 6 Micro Spider
Line 6 Uber Metal
BOSS VB-2
BOSS D-7
BOSS CS-3
BOSS GE-7 (soon)
Last edited by Venom14228 at Jan 4, 2009,
Opeth are AMAZING! must listen to them, they're progressive.
and Trivium are just modern metal, my favorite band.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Hey
TS here is a great Idea
Start saving for an amp that can do that. There you go
and FYI boss pedals are **** for overdrive and distortion unmodded.
99 is that much for a distortion. You haven't really looked much boss or line 6 have you?
The Line-6 uber metal is not that good a pedal either. Just start saving for a new amplifier.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Hey
TS here is a great Idea
Start saving for an amp that can do that. There you go
and FYI boss pedals are **** for overdrive and distortion unmodded.
99 is that much for a distortion. You haven't really looked much boss or line 6 have you?
The Line-6 uber metal is not that good a pedal either. Just start saving for a new amplifier.

Actually, I have an old crate cr-160 (my dads). The distortion wasn't bad, but the thing was that it was LOUD AS ALL HELL, and the clean was BY FAR better. I wouldn't even go past 1, and the volume would just pretty much shake everything. The problem with it is though, it's got a short or something in it, and when I'm not playing it you can kind of hear this drill like whining noise coming out of the speaker. So, I'm going to get that fixed, and just save that for if I ever get in a band or something. If I save up for an amp, it's going to be a Marshall. (Not a solid state, but a good tube amp.

Also, I'm a bit curious here. The people that don't seem to like the BOSS distortions, what amp are you using?
My equipment:
Crate CR-160
CONN (Accoustic)
Laguna LE 322 AVB
BOSS DS-1
Line 6 Micro Spider
Line 6 Uber Metal
BOSS VB-2
BOSS D-7
BOSS CS-3
BOSS GE-7 (soon)
Everyone that says that BOSS Distortion sucks... YOU ARE WRONG. GO HOME.

The MT2 blows, but the ML2 kicks ass.
I agree, the ML2 is really really good.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Boss pedals are good, as long as they're in front of a decent amp... except for the metal zone, which is fail no matter what. Also I've heard that the uber metal is Pantera in a box, although I haven't gotten to prove that myself and it doesn't do anything else anyway.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
i modded my DS-1 myself and it sounds awesome, just something to consider
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Modified boss pedals sound great.
They make very good tuners and delay pedals. Their old MIJ stuff is amazing (ever tryed a CE-2 or a MIJ BF-2? awesome!)

I say to you who doubt me, have you ever played pedals better than boss? Ever played a Fulltone OCD or a Homebrew Power Screamer?
In general OVERDRIVE sounds great in front of tube amplifiers. Not distortion pedals in front of solid states.
Well, this sux. For some reason my amp makes a weird vibration while I'm palm muting with the distortion. Any ideas on how can I prevent that? Until I do, I can't play a lot of songs! It just started today.
My equipment:
Crate CR-160
CONN (Accoustic)
Laguna LE 322 AVB
BOSS DS-1
Line 6 Micro Spider
Line 6 Uber Metal
BOSS VB-2
BOSS D-7
BOSS CS-3