Sorry about the noob question, but I'm new to effect pedals. I've had a Crybaby Wah, but that's about it for my experience with such witchcraft.

Also, if the answer is yes, what is the difference between sticking it in the loop, and sticking it before the input?
Yes you can. Putting them in the loop lets you put effects like Chorus, Delay, and Phaser after amp distortion, so you get the effect better. Distortion (obviously) distorts them.

EDIT: Most people put wahs before the amp. Personally I think it lets the wah's affect sound better. but it's a matter of preference.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by theacousticpunk
Yes you can. Putting them in the loop lets you put effects like Chorus, Delay, and Phaser after amp distortion, so you get the effect better. Distortion (obviously) distorts them.

That makes sense to me. Thank you.
^ yes, that's true.
some sound better in or out.
the loop comes after distortion and the non loop (your guitar's cable chain) goes into the amp, which then gets distorted.

basically, certain pedals sound better when placed after distortion (which is the effects loop. the effects loop comes after the amp's distortion)

that's why some pedals are meant to/are better when placed in the effects loop

i put wah and delay in my guitar's chain, not the loop

my modulation goes in the chain
it took me forever to realize this and for the longest time i had my phase shifter and my flanger in my guitar's chain and i was so dissapointed because when using my amps gain, my phaser and flanger were overpowered by the amp and you couldn't hear the sweep.

then i put them in the chain and they were better and i was happy again...

so basically it's just about what goes before and after the amp's distortion.
and it you're using a distortion pedal on your amp's clean channel(which is usually not in the effects loop anyway) then put your modulation after the distortion pedal.