no.

Now, if you bought something like a metal muff with the valve junior you can get good metal tones.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Prob not. It more of a bluesy sounding amp. Maybe a gain-pushing pedal?
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

maybe if your pickups had more than 500 times the output of emgs, then maybe, just maybe you could get a metal tone.
it would be muddier than a pig though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
What didn't you get the answer you were looking for?

Will it do Classic Rock?- Yes
Will it do Metal? - No
Will it do metal with a few pedals? - To an extent, Yes
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
you'll need a lot of help getting a Epi VJ into metal, it's just not gonna happen with out pedals.

The closest to metal I've heard from a 5 watt amp without help is the Blackstar HT-5H on Overdrive Channel
Stock without pedals it wont come close to metal. But with a good pedal many more posibilities. And of course it can be modded alot. But as it only has 5 watts it doesnt have alot of head room. But dont expect deathmetal out of it cranked.
The valve junior, even with an overdrive pushing it in front, will not ever be able to do metal.

Sure, if could do metal if you put something like a metal muff in front but then whats the point of getting a tube amp if your just gonna run a distortion pedal?

I reccommend you look at some differant amps
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by telecastermetal
any one else?

yes.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I've got one, and love it. But its NOT for metal, if you crank it and have a good EQ it can get some sick punk tones, but thats bout as far as it'll go w/o mods/pedals.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

With a POD XT Live it does great metal
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
What if i throw down a metal muff in front of it?

so what if i crank it to the max and use a metal muff will i still get tube tone out of it?
Not really about just cranking it to max. Dial it in and find the sweet spot. The sweet spot usually isn't maxed.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
it'll do black sabbath-esque tones quite well, imo
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
The best metal tone I've heard from a VJ was with a ZVex 'Box of Metal' up front, and the volume knob rolled back far enough to keep it mostly out of it's natural distortion. The overdrive characteristics of a single ended class A amp are not close to what is generally acceptable as a metal tone and the frequency response of the VJ is very difficult to work around. The 'Box of Metal' has an on board EQ that serves as a very effective workaround for these problems.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
in a word, no. even with a pedal, as kendall says, the tone of the VJ is more or less the complete opposite of what you need for metal (certainly modern metal), so you need a pedal that can let you get round that, and also to keep the volume pretty low...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The valve junior won't do metal on its own. A roland cube 60 will do metal much better than the valve junior and sound better doing it. With a metal pedal you might get metal tones from a valve junior. You could heavily mod a valve junior and get it to do metal but it would need much more than the usual resistor and capacitor changes. You would need to add at least one more preamp tube and then carefuly voice each of the four gain stages to get a usable metal tone.
Quote by Kendall
The best metal tone I've heard from a VJ was with a ZVex 'Box of Metal' up front, and the volume knob rolled back far enough to keep it mostly out of it's natural distortion. The overdrive characteristics of a single ended class A amp are not close to what is generally acceptable as a metal tone and the frequency response of the VJ is very difficult to work around. The 'Box of Metal' has an on board EQ that serves as a very effective workaround for these problems.

+1

And to add if you want metal in a small package your gonna have to get a Krank Rev Jr.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
No. Honestly I wouldn't even use it for rock, it sounds like garbage stock.

Really? Garbage? That statement is not even remotely true.

The Epi Valve Jr is a great little amp even stock. Your'e not gonna get Slipknot distortion without a good pedal. I use a Metal Muff in front of mine and I can get fantastic distortion.

Your best bet is to try one for yourself instead of asking on this forum. People's opinions are just that....opinions.
Quote by Bordeaux9196
Really? Garbage? That statement is not even remotely true.

The Epi Valve Jr is a great little amp even stock. Your'e not gonna get Slipknot distortion without a good pedal. I use a Metal Muff in front of mine and I can get fantastic distortion.

Your best bet is to try one for yourself instead of asking on this forum. People's opinions are just that....opinions.

Yes really, I think it's garbage. I guess if you like a harsh muddy crunch then the VJ would be your thing because that's all I got from it. I've owned 2, one I left stock which sits and collects dust now and the other one I modded to no end and it took adding an EL34 and redoing a number of things in the preamp which at that point it wasn't a VJ anymore, eventually I sold it anyways. With a pedal into it clean I'd agree it's fine, but I would never use that amp on it's own.
I admit I don't use the VJ much on it's own, but with my POD it just rocks. I'll take this setup over any other modeler out there and you can include the vast majority of SS amps to that as well. I'm 100% happy with the way this low cost little amp takes to modeling and pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Jan 4, 2009,
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Yes really, I think it's garbage. I guess if you like a harsh muddy crunch then the VJ would be your thing because that's all I got from it. I've owned 2, one I left stock which sits and collects dust now and the other one I modded to no end and it took adding an EL34 and redoing a number of things in the preamp which at that point it wasn't a VJ anymore, eventually I sold it anyways. With a pedal into it clean I'd agree it's fine, but I would never use that amp on it's own.

i will take it a step further than you, even with the amp clean i think it sounds nasty. i hoenstly cant stand the amp, i would take a voxx valvetronix over that amp any day of the week. thats my opinion though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
You can get metal out of a valve jr. but you need some pedals. i use a Boss Metalcore and an eq to get metal tones out of it. I keep the volume on the amp fairly low to keep the amps distortion down and let the pedal do the work. This means most of your tone is coming from the pedal not the amp. my advice is if you want just a metal amp dont get a Valve Jr. If you also want the sweet crunchy classic rock distortion that comes out of the amp on its own, get a jr. but on its own, the best you can get is classic rock, sabbath and AC/DC.