I play guitar.i have been playing for 7 years.
I'm not all that great at writing lyrics. Can anyone give me tips on how to approach writing some?
Think about a topic.
Stay on topic.
Rhyme, without making yourself sound forced.
Variety is the spice of songs - use it.
Good chorus in a son = win. Make a song catchy and it will... well... catch on.
Make your lyrics understandable to the general public.

That's all i got for now.

Good Luck with the songs mate
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

one: dont force yourself; it usually comes out like crap

two: try to get some sort of rhythmic idea in your head, as in do you want it to be fast, slow, have a lot of words per verse (so the singer would be fast while the rest is slow), or would it be one or two words per verse?

three: usually what helps me is listening to music i like right before, and usually an idea will pop into my head while im having a personal conversation with someone; because that usually will give me the best idea

four: not everything has to rhyme, so dont try to make it rhyme.

five: this one doesn't apply to everything, but dont overkill a certain word; i overuse the word "mind" a lot and im trying to change the wording of my songs

and finally, six: you dont need every aspect of a textbook songs (verse, intro, bridge, chorus, etc) so if it doesnt turn out like every other song, dont freak out.

hope that helped a little, but i dont really know what kind of advice you needed
im pretty much starting the the ground so thanks that does help. me and my buddy are trying to start up a band now and i want to to my contribution of lyrics so.
You really just need to sit down with your band, decide what you want to write, what type of music it will be, and how it will sound. If you play music your band likes, it will solve MANY early problems of bands.

Songs make bands.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

im in the same position as you man just started a band. and iv never written lyrics before i started so iv been writing some and posting em here so that thell be critted. best advice is dont be afraid to go beyond the normal becasue thats where things get interesting. and dont be afraid to share your lyrics. expirement with different rhyming schemes too
well here's what i do, think about something. Something thats passionate to you, that you have emotions about you'd like to express. now write down phrases explaining that using metaphors, then change and adjust words to make it rhyme, doesn't have to exactle rhyme but it has to work. But i think the most important part is the need to express yourself, well atleast this is what works for me
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA